[comp.sys.mac.games] Solarian II on the LC

mlg@cbnews.cb.att.com (mike.goodrich) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr29.172642.331@otago.ac.nz> stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
>Does Solarian II work OK on an LC with a 12" RGB monitor? What
>I am really asking is: does it adjust for different screen sizes?
>Or does it assume that you have a 13" monitor, like a couple of
>other games I've seen? I want to find this out before getting a
>copy of it. THanks in advance.

No Solarian II doesn't work on a Mac LC.  When you try to launch it the program
will start to load them it says something like Solarian cannot find a monitor
of at least 640X400 (Mac 13" Color monitor).

I would be nice if there was a way to trick games and other programs like
Solarian into running on an LC with a 12" monitor.

			Mike
			mlg@cblph.att.com

stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) (04/30/91)

--
See ya
                                Nigel.

surfin@kitty.ksu.ksu.edu (William M Harris) (04/30/91)

mlg@cbnews.cb.att.com (mike.goodrich) writes:

>In article <1991Apr29.172642.331@otago.ac.nz> stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
>>Does Solarian II work OK on an LC with a 12" RGB monitor? What
>>I am really asking is: does it adjust for different screen sizes?
>>Or does it assume that you have a 13" monitor, like a couple of
>>other games I've seen? I want to find this out before getting a
>>copy of it. THanks in advance.
>>

>No Solarian II doesn't work on a Mac LC.  When you try to launch it the program
>will start to load them it says something like Solarian cannot find a monitor
>of at least 640X400 (Mac 13" Color monitor).

>I would be nice if there was a way to trick games and other programs like
>Solarian into running on an LC with a 12" monitor.

>			Mike
>			mlg@cblph.att.com

I have played Solarian II on a mac LC.  This machine had a 13" high-res monitor
and 512k VRAM simm installed.  I have a Mac SE and I would love to see a B/W
version of this game!!!!!

--
 SURFIN@KSUVM.BITNET     |  That which does not Kill us makes us stronger.
 surfin@ksuvm.ksu.edu    |                            -Friedrich Nietzsche

ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) (05/04/91)

In article <1991Apr29.144024.9922@cbnews.cb.att.com> mlg@cbnews.cb.att.com (mike.goodrich) writes:
>In article <1991Apr29.172642.331@otago.ac.nz> stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
>>Does Solarian II work OK on an LC with a 12" RGB monitor? What
>>I am really asking is: does it adjust for different screen sizes?
>>Or does it assume that you have a 13" monitor, like a couple of
>>other games I've seen? I want to find this out before getting a
>>copy of it. THanks in advance.
>>

>No Solarian II doesn't work on a Mac LC.  When you try to launch it the program
>will start to load them it says something like Solarian cannot find a monitor
>of at least 640X400 (Mac 13" Color monitor).
>
>I would be nice if there was a way to trick games and other programs like
>Solarian into running on an LC with a 12" monitor.
>

>			Mike
>			mlg@cblph.att.com

I have an (expensive) idea that might make it work on an LC.  I believe the
program looks for a 13" 640x400 256 color monitor.  The LC can use the 13"
monitor but it only shows 16 colors.  To show 256, you need to add a graphics
card of some kind.

*Disclaimer--I haven't ever used an LC.  This info is just what I remember
reading about the LC in a MacWorld a while back and I don't have a copy of
the issue to refer to.  So, if anyone thinks I'm wrong, I won't argue.
|        Zach Ullevig        |          "I like maxims that don't            |
|   University of Colorado   |       encourage behavior modification."       |
| ullevig@tramp.colorado.edu |                                --Calvin       |
|____________________________|_______________________________________________|

jfe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/04/91)

In article <1991May4.002546.27702@colorado.edu>,
ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) writes:

> I have an (expensive) idea that might make it work on an LC.  I believe the
> program looks for a 13" 640x400 256 color monitor.  The LC can use the 13"
> monitor but it only shows 16 colors.  To show 256, you need to add a graphics
> card of some kind.
>
> *Disclaimer--I haven't ever used an LC.  This info is just what I remember
> reading about the LC in a MacWorld a while back and I don't have a copy of
> the issue to refer to.  So, if anyone thinks I'm wrong, I won't argue.

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend, actually.  I have an LC
with a 12" monitor instead of 13" because I didn't have enough money to buy
13" AND 512K VRAM to display 256 colours.  It would have cost me about $350
more than what I have now.

|        T. H. Brian Chung                |                                   |
|        Tens of math credits             |     "So in my small way,          |
|        Hundreds of physics credits      |      I'm a big man on Mulberry    |
|        And an attitude...               |      Street."                     |
|                                         |                                   |
|        jfe@cornella (bitnet)            |                  Billy Joel       |
|        in%"jfe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu"    |                                   |
|         (internet)                      |     "Let's see what's out there." |
|                                         |                                   |
|                                         |             Jean-Luc Picard       |

marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dave Walker) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May4.002546.27702@colorado.edu> ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) writes:
>In article <1991Apr29.144024.9922@cbnews.cb.att.com> mlg@cbnews.cb.att.com (mike.goodrich) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr29.172642.331@otago.ac.nz> stanger@otago.ac.nz (Nigel Stanger) writes:
>>>Does Solarian II work OK on an LC with a 12" RGB monitor? What
>>>I am really asking is: does it adjust for different screen sizes?
>>>Or does it assume that you have a 13" monitor, like a couple of
>>>other games I've seen? I want to find this out before getting a
>>>copy of it. THanks in advance.
>>>

>>No Solarian II doesn't work on a Mac LC.  When you try to launch it the program
>>will start to load them it says something like Solarian cannot find a monitor
>>of at least 640X400 (Mac 13" Color monitor).
>>
>>I would be nice if there was a way to trick games and other programs like
>>Solarian into running on an LC with a 12" monitor.
>>

>>			Mike
>>			mlg@cblph.att.com
>
>I have an (expensive) idea that might make it work on an LC.  I believe the
>program looks for a 13" 640x400 256 color monitor.  The LC can use the 13"
>monitor but it only shows 16 colors.  To show 256, you need to add a graphics
>card of some kind.

Actually, if you already have the 13" monitor (buy it if you can afford it;
it's an order of magnitude cooler than the 12") it's fairly cheap: you just
need a VRAM SIMM ($90 when my girlfriend bought hers a couple of weeks ago).

>*Disclaimer--I haven't ever used an LC.  This info is just what I remember
>reading about the LC in a MacWorld a while back and I don't have a copy of
>the issue to refer to.  So, if anyone thinks I'm wrong, I won't argue.
>|        Zach Ullevig        |          "I like maxims that don't            |
>|   University of Colorado   |       encourage behavior modification."       |
>| ullevig@tramp.colorado.edu |                                --Calvin       |

| Dave Walker, Detroit Art Services (DAS)                                |
| marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu                 "I don't read, I just guess"  |
| marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu       -Happy Mondays, "Wrote For Luck"  |