[comp.sys.mac.games] Brainpower

jost@alice.coyote.trw.com (Patrick Jost) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May10.165549.27037@odgate.odesta.com> dbk@odgate.odesta.com (Dan Keith) writes:
>In article <1091@igor.Rational.COM> wab@Rational.COM (Bill Baker) writes:
>>
>>When the Mac first reared its little beige head, there was a
>>very cool game called Chipwits...
>

>Chipwits was written by BrainPower, Inc. I think they are now extinct
>(unfortunately for all of us, IMHO). Two years ago they wrote a very neat
>hypertext editor called ArchiText, which was powerful, but had a few
>MacFlaws (e.g., Undo didn't work). I waited and waited for a new version,
>then eventually tried to track them down and found out they had
>disappeared. If anybody knows anything about either of these programs, or
>where I could get a hold of the authors, I'd be grateful.

I can help. Brainpower went bankrupt last year due to legal problems. The
owner/founder, Sherwin Steffin, is still around, but he's not in a position
to do anything about the products. As part of the liquidation, the rights
to the products were sold to various companies around the country. I contacted
the people who bought Architext, and they're not going to do anything with
it for some time...bad luck for us.

Unfortunately, I think Brainpower, Chipwits, Architext and Statalyzer (their
stat program with a hypertext interface) are dead. Sherwin's looking into
starting another company, though, and I suspect it will be something
interesting.

PJ

     "You might very well think that, but I certainly couldn't comment..."

       Patrick Jost/jost@coyote.trw.com/(213) 812-2759/(213) 313-2803

conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) (05/12/91)

In article <282C4B23.430F@deneva.sdd.trw.com>, jost@alice.coyote.trw.com (Patrick Jost) writes:
[about Chipwits]
> I can help. Brainpower went bankrupt last year due to legal problems. The
> owner/founder, Sherwin Steffin, is still around, but he's not in a position
> to do anything about the products. As part of the liquidation, the rights
> to the products were sold to various companies around the country. I contacted
> the people who bought Architext, and they're not going to do anything with
> it for some time...bad luck for us.

So who has the rights for Chipwits?  And, more importantly, are they going to
do a re-release of it?  Of course, some code reworking would have to be done
to make the game compatible with the current System Software...

--
			    E n r i q u e  C o n t y
			  The Amazing Man-With-No-Life