[comp.sys.mac.games] SimEarth

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) (11/09/90)

I just got off the phone with MacConnection.  They have SimEarth in stock
for $40+$3 S&H.  I should have my copy tomorrow!  Man, I love mail-order!
 Cheers - Yossie
P.s. MacConnection can be reached at 800-334-4444.
P.p.s. I have no connection with these people except that they seem to
provide as good a service as I could want or expect!

---

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov; yossie@fnccf.bitnet
What did the Caspian Sea? - Saki

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (Quaestor) (11/09/90)

In article <5367@lanl.gov> yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) writes:
>I just got off the phone with MacConnection.  They have SimEarth in stock
>for $40+$3 S&H.  I should have my copy tomorrow!  Man, I love mail-order!

  I just called the above comapany today and they said they did not have
it in stock.  Of course, I didn't call the sales number, but the order
inquiry number.  Are these folks so screwed up that one office has it and
the other doesn't???

kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) (11/10/90)

In article <5367@lanl.gov> yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) writes:
>I just got off the phone with MacConnection.  They have SimEarth in stock
>for $40+$3 S&H.  I should have my copy tomorrow!  Man, I love mail-order!
> Cheers - Yossie
>P.s. MacConnection can be reached at 800-334-4444.
>P.p.s. I have no connection with these people except that they seem to
>provide as good a service as I could want or expect!

I agree with you.  They are definitely better than MacWarehouse (especially
when you have defective merchandise and need urgent replacements).  However, I
tried calling MacConnection about SimEarth and they just ran out of stock.
Gee!  SimEarth must be selling like hotcakes!!!

Kok-Yong Tan can be reached at:      | "Oscularis fundamentum!"
InterNet: kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu |	     	       - Annoyed Latin scholar
CompuServe: 75046,256                |
America Online: lallang              |

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (11/10/90)

   Actually it seams, from my experience, that MacWarehouse divides the country
up into regional warehouses.  If YOUR regions warehouse doesn't have it, you
get put on backorder.

   The main sales number does not seem to check this.  They know if they have
it somewhere and will say they have it.  If it's not in your region, you'll
get a letter saying your on backorder.

   I don't know if the number you called is more precise or not.  I may have a
few things wrong, but this has been my experience.

Jon Pace

gdm@cs.columbia.edu (George Michaels) (11/13/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.games
Subject: SimEarth Robots

I WAS able to get SimEarth through MacConnection.  I guess I ordered
before they ran out...  I played all weekend.  I was most interested
by the Terraforming scenarios.  They are the most challenging because
they DISABLE the "Models" of Earth behavior.  I have not yet tried
Venus, but I "won" Mars in experimental mode.

1) There is a bug in "Easy" mode which allows you to get as many ice
meteors as you want FOR FREE.  You can send one down, paying for it
(500 omega).  You then select some other kind of build, but you do
not generate any.  Then select ice meteor AGAIN.  AS SOON AS you select
it you get a new meteor.  Without paying for it.  If you want a third,
you select Eukaryote (or some other), and then ice meteor.  You get as
many as you want for free by selecting NOT PLACING them.

2) I cannot seem to raise the temperature very much.  I even tried
producing LOTS of industrial pollution to try to enhance the greenhouse
effect.  No dice.  It think I got the average temp to an all-time high of
-44 C.  This however did not stop me from winning.  Apparently, my
cave-men were able to thrive at -44.

3) I'm curious about the effect of atmospheric presssure on my life.
As a scuba diver, I know that people can survive for long periods of
time at pressures of 4 or more atms.  However since this is a
planetary condition, my sims don't have to decompress....  On mars, I
got the pressure up around 2 atms.  This seemed to help warm up the
planet.  Does anyone know the limits of simearthlings tolerance to
pressure?

George Michaels

fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) (11/14/90)

I just placed my order for SimEarth with MacConnection.  Just a general question
does anyone know if SimEarth is copy-protected??

--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)            Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: fc156111@seas.gwu.edu              Office of Management & Budget

unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (11/14/90)

In article <2347@sparko.gwu.edu>, fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.)
writes:
> I just placed my order for SimEarth with MacConnection.  Just a general
> question does anyone know if SimEarth is copy-protected??

The version that I received from MacConnection asks for planet statistics that
are found at the back of the manual (stuff like diameter, densities, etc.)
I don't mind - it's a small price to pay for an awesome program (shame on all
pirates).

This copy protection is encountered when a New Planet or Load Planet(?) option
is selected.

Robert Unoki
unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
--

Robert S. Unoki
unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
(standard disclaimer, please)

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (11/20/90)

I just tried SimEarth, and have found it to be much more work than I
really feel like putting into a game.  I am seriously considering
returning it.  I found the effects you have on the various life forms
to be interesting, but not fun.  The fact that you can leave the game
alone and have it solve itself makes it seem rather pointless to me.

Has anyone else had this dissappointing respose to the game?  BTW, I
really enjoyed SimCity, maybe because I understood all of the things
to which it was referring and saw the effects of my actions.

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

arw@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Paul Hanson) (11/22/90)

Well, through all the hype, I decided to purchase SimEarth.  Although I find it
to be a very facinating game, I find myself coming to the conclusion that I
just won't find the time to play it much.  Plus, I only have a mac Plus and
B&W just does not do it justice (color is much much better in this game).  So,
I have decided to sell it.  I am not sure MacConnection has a 30 MBG on this
game, so before I check, I would be willing to sell it to someone on the net.
The reason I am posting this is because through a bit of the chatter I have
seen, it seems like perhaps SimEarth is not something that is easy to get a
hold of yet.  Anyway, I purchased it from MacConnection for $40 plus $3
shipping.  I will sell it for $40 (and I will pay the shipping).  It will
come complete with the Box it came in, both the color and B&W version, the
manual (which has had minimal use/wear)... only a week old, the registration
card (not yet sent in) and all the little silly adverstisements that came
in the box.

If you think I am being stingy for asking $40, then make me an offer, but I
would really like to get all $40 out of this game.

email me directly if you are interested:
arw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

phone:
(317) 743-9671

Paul

PMW0@Lehigh (11/25/90)

I would be interested in purchasing SimEarth from you if it is still
available.  I'd be willing to buy for the $40 your asking.  Let me know
If its still available and I'll email my address and phone and
snailmail a check.
                  Phil

lin@AppleLink.apple.com (Judy Lin) (11/27/90)

I'd also like to sell my copy of SimEarth for $40 (I paid $45+tax).  If
anyone is interested, call or write.

Judy
lin@AppleLink.apple.com
974-1160

jeremy@horus.cem.msu.EDU (Stallion) (01/22/91)

	Does anyone know of a mail order warehouse that I can order SimEarth
from? I went over to babbages and they were out.  I am am not all that fond
of giving them my hard earned money anyway!!  if you could post or mail
me the name (or number) of somewhere it would be appericiated!

	Thanks in advance,
		Stallion
		jeremy@horus

ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) (01/29/91)

Here's a question for you folks out there...
I'm playing around with the water world trying to bring a marine life to
exodus.  Is this possible without land?  Can a marine animal make it to
exodus, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

--

T. Tim Hsu                           UUCP    ...pur-ee!ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu
                                     ARPA    ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) (01/30/91)

In article <4717@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) writes:

>Here's a question for you folks out there...
>I'm playing around with the water world trying to bring a marine life to
>exodus.  Is this possible without land?  Can a marine animal make it to
>exodus, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Try reading the manual.  It says that you can't.  I have heard some people
say that they were able to though.  I don't know if they were telling the
truth.

|        Zach Ullevig        |          "I like maxims that don't            |
|   University of Colorado   |       encourage behavior modification."       |
| ullevig@tramp.colorado.edu |                                --Calvin       |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) (01/30/91)

In article <4717@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) writes:

> Here's a question for you folks out there...
> I'm playing around with the water world trying to bring a marine life to
> exodus.  Is this possible without land?  Can a marine animal make it to
> exodus, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?
>
> --
>
> T. Tim Hsu                           UUCP    ...pur-ee!ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

According to the manual, you need to have some amount of land even for
marine life forms to evolve to technology and eventually the exodus.
In my limited experience with the game, this would seem to be the case.
I managed to get radiates to become sapient and they did build a few
cities on land.

Russell Davoli
National Instruments
(davoli@natinst.com)

kvc@summer.claremont.edu (Kevin V. Carosso) (01/30/91)

In article <18959@natinst.natinst.com>, davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli)
writes:
>According to the manual, you need to have some amount of land even for
>marine life forms to evolve to technology and eventually the exodus.
>In my limited experience with the game, this would seem to be the case.
>I managed to get radiates to become sapient and they did build a few
>cities on land.

The first time I played with SimEarth, I got sapient radiates that went
all the way to exodus.  They built cities on the coast.

	/Kevin Carosso
	 Innosoft

hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu (Stephen Haase) (01/31/91)

 I believe that in order for your life to become sentient, they need to
 make fire. The only water-based life than can discover fire is the cetaceans.
 This is because they can live in Jungle(or is it swamp...cant remember..)
 anyway, I've got them to exodus once..I had to have the whole planet mostly
 shelf though, and I had one tincy wincy island with jungle....

 Steve
	-hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu

jerk@infolog.se (J. Andersson) (02/01/91)

Hsu) writes:
> Here's a question for you folks out there...
> I'm playing around with the water world trying to bring a marine life to
> exodus.  Is this possible without land?  Can a marine animal make it to
> exodus, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Of course you meant to say "fishful thinking".
Rather funny actually.

jerk@infolog.se
Infologics AB, Box 91, S-191 22 Sollentuna, Sweden
Disclaimer: "This is noone's opinion"

sesharp@happy.colorado.edu (02/03/91)

In article <4717@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, ajz@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (T. Tim Hsu) writes:

> Here's a question for you folks out there...
> I'm playing around with the water world trying to bring a marine life to
> exodus.  Is this possible without land?  Can a marine animal make it to
> exodus, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

 Yes, I recently used the Monnlith on a dolphin race. Eventually, They made
exodus. Infact, ALLL the races eventually reached exodus, even when I
deliberately tried to kill everything on the planet.
ed pegg   -  a no net kind of guy.

cs012070@cs.brown.edu (Dan Goldman) (02/17/91)

  OK, Here's a question for you SimEarth junkies.  The two most difficult problems, (for me, anyway) are global warming and advancement of civilization.  Global warming, of course, can be controlled by reducing Solar Input, Greenhouse Effect, etc., but I wonder if anyone has found a more ingenious way of doing it (ie. one that doesn't require fiddling with the atmosphere model dials).  Anyone?  What disturbs me most about global warming is that it _always_ happens.  If you start on earth in the Cambrian Er

a, the oceans will almost invariably boil off before intelligent life appears.  Is it just me, or does this seem weird?
  The second thing is about civilization advancement.  The first few steps go pretty quickly, but then it always seems to take forever to get out of the Industrial Age, and the Atomic Age never ends.  I've only had the persistence once to actually get to the Nanotech age, and I've never actually had the Exodus occur without using the Monolith.  I'm constantly getting the message, "Science needs more energy," even when I'm giving science 3 times as much energy as the other things, and having my SimEarthling

s working a 60 hour week.  (A side note:  I have noticed that I don't get this message as often if the quality of life is Tolerable or better)  Shouldn't it be the other way around:  Civilization advances faster as you get higher up?  Maybe my population is just getting too high, but is there any way to control that without making Gaia complain?
  OK, that's enough.  Now we'll see if there are any SimEarth Gods or Goddesses around here.

					--Dano
					  cs011070@cs.brown.edu
					  st101824@brownvm.brown.edu

kbailey@reed.UUCP (Kelly Bailey) (03/05/91)

   I was wondering if anyone else has run into the "robot problem" in
SimEarth.  There is _zero_ documentation of it in the rule book, and the
only reason I can imagine that they added it is that I seem to recall a
Sci-Fi story (by a Big Name) that proposed that intelligent robots may
have come to Earth (or they developed intelligence here).
   They ate up one of my favorite planets, where I was close to getting
intelligent carniferns, naturally.  I've never come close again.

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (03/19/91)

Can anyone give me a summary of SimEarth?  I've heard a lot of great things
about it in this group.  But I don't have a good idea of what it is about.
What are the things that you get to do?  Can you create any type of species and
see its evolution?  How does it compare to SimCity?  I've played SimCity a few
times on my friend's IBM and I am also thinking about getting it.

Jaxon.

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (05/11/91)

In article <65249@brunix.UUCP> cs012070@cs.brown.edu (Dan Goldman) writes:

>  OK, Here's a question for you SimEarth junkies.  The two most difficult problems, (for me, anyway) are global warming and advancement of civilization.  Global warming, of course, can be controlled by reducing Solar Input, Greenhouse Effect, etc., but I

Well, I am not a god (on the other hand...I guess anyone who owns SimEarth IS
a god in a way) but here is what I have found.

I think the global warming is just a question of the constantly increasing
solar input.  I haven't been having as much of a problem...I'll say more later.

I have found that civilization advancement is "best" handled according to some
current theories of "burst" evolution.  Things tend to stagnate until a radical
change in the enviroment makes then change all a once.

I try to keep my civilizations at the same tech. level until they are almost all
at the upper level.  I just put my enery into arts/med/philo to keep them all
happy healthy and peaceful.  Once things are fairly even I throw almost all the
energy available into science -- I mean almost all, 60+ hours a week, max invest
ment in fossil fuels etc.  It works fairly well as I have several planets at
exodus without ever "monolith cheating".  But the fun of this thing is finding
interesting ways to make things happen, so I am working on other ways.  Note
that while "coasting" at a lower tech level, I reduce the use of poluting energy
hence little problems with resource shortages etc.  The same approach works for
global warming -- I concentrate on keeping the biomass as high as possible --
not advancing evolution.  The lack of CO2 goes a long way towards preventing
global warming.

Now for some other questions:

Has anyone come up with a reson why the fossil/atomic fuels just run low, not
out?  I have theorized the synthesis of more fossil fuels, but atomic ones (
breeder reactors?) ??

Good ideas for disabling that obnoxious copy protection?  (I know, small price
to pay for a good program, but I still hate paging through my manual, even if
I am educating myself).

Well I have to go.  Now that finals are over, I am working on spient robots
without the monolith.  I'll post the process, if anyone wants it (assuming it
works).

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.202824.21274@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) writes:
> In article <65249@brunix.UUCP> cs012070@cs.brown.edu (Dan Goldman) writes:
> >

> I think the global warming is just a question of the constantly increasing
> solar input.  I haven't been having as much of a problem...I'll say more later.

Actually, the best way to prevent global warming is to keep an eye on the
greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, mainly CO2.  To reduce the amount of CO2,
reduce the usage of fossil fuels.  Greenhouse effect has never been a problem
for me in pre-industrial societies.

> Has anyone come up with a reson why the fossil/atomic fuels just run low, not
> out?  I have theorized the synthesis of more fossil fuels, but atomic ones (
> breeder reactors?) ??

If I remember correctly, fuel never runs out.  If it gets too low, war starts
(fighting over the resources) until enough sims have died so that there is
enough fuel for everybody.

> [How to cheat the protection]

I have no way to cheat it, but I can make it easier to get through it.

Note that all the questions are for data from 3 specific planets.  It's rather
trivial to transcribe the info in those pages to a file (or to a single sheet
of paper).
--
			    E n r i q u e  C o n t y
			  The Amazing Man-With-No-Life

eoliver@hcunix.haverford.edu (Erik Oliver) (05/13/91)

On the issue of atomic fuels:

Look at the history (cmd-h) option.  You see the planet starts off with
an abundance of atomic fuels which undergo decay at a frightening ly
high pace so by the time you get to using atomic fuels there aren't much
left.

On the issue of copy protection:  I have made a microsoft word file
which I keep on the disk.  This at leat guarantees I can play the game
ifg I have the disk but not the manuals.

Erik

gbj@melb.bull.oz.au (Graham Jose) (05/13/91)

On the subject of SimEarth challenges. I am having difficulty in
generating large land masses. During the geospheric phase my land
masses are constantly torn apart by any level of continental drift (I
actually have to turn it off to combat this), and eventually the water
level rises to the stage that all I have left by the evolution phase
is a couple of rapidly shrinking islands. By the time I reach the
civilization time scale very little land mass is left at all. Can
someone provide me with some ideas for nuruturing my planet so that I
can create some large (stable) continents.

Thanks,

Graham Jose

| Graham Jose, Snr Software Engineer (EFTPOS,Comms) |   Phone: 61 3 4200450 |
| Melbourne Development Centre                      |     Fax: 61 3 4200445 |
| Bull HN Information Systems Australia Pty Ltd     |-----------------------|
| ACSnet  : gbj@bull.oz                             |  Who wants my opinion |
| Internet: gbj@melb.bull.oz.au                     |  anyway?              |

Michael_Carman@mindlink.bc.ca (Michael Carman) (05/13/91)

> garya@plague.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>
> In regards to SimEarth's copy protection, there is a way around it.
> (First, I am NOT a pirate...I get tired of trying to find my SimEarth
> manual in the pile of game manuals I have hidden somewhere in my room)
> I don't want to give out my unprotected SimEarth or tell people how to do
> it...that's probably illegal.  I WILL say that if you know how strings
> work in Pascal and know how to use ResEdit, you can do it.
> Please don't ask me to send you my SimEarth, and I hope this helps some
> of you!
>
> Gary Arnold
> garya@plague.berkeley.edu

I'm a registered owner of SimEarth and I think the copy protection sucks. Guess
I'll have to write a small file containing the codes and keep it on my hard
drive, too, as I'm ResEdit illiterate.

gbj@melb.bull.oz.au (Graham Jose) writes:

>On the subject of SimEarth challenges. I am having difficulty in
>generating large land masses. During the geospheric phase my land
>masses are constantly torn apart by any level of continental drift (I
>actually have to turn it off to combat this), and eventually the water
>level rises to the stage that all I have left by the evolution phase
>is a couple of rapidly shrinking islands. By the time I reach the
>civilization time scale very little land mass is left at all. Can
>someone provide me with some ideas for nuruturing my planet so that I
>can create some large (stable) continents.

>Thanks,

>Graham Jose

How about setting off some volcanoes?

Erik

garya@plague.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Arnold) (05/14/91)

In regards to SimEarth's copy protection, there is a way around it.
(First, I am NOT a pirate...I get tired of trying to find my SimEarth
manual in the pile of game manuals I have hidden somewhere in my room)
I don't want to give out my unprotected SimEarth or tell people how to do
it...that's probably illegal.  I WILL say that if you know how strings
work in Pascal and know how to use ResEdit, you can do it.
Please don't ask me to send you my SimEarth, and I hope this helps some
of you!

Gary Arnold
garya@plague.berkeley.edu

xdpq8@isuvax.iastate.edu (05/15/91)

I had SimEarth for a while and have to agree about the copy protection.  You
can indeed use ResEdit to take care of that problem, or at least find out
what all the answers are to make your shhet of codes a bit smaller...

|Steve Fuller            |  Iowa        | I will choose the path that's clear. +
|                        |  State       | I will choose freewill.              +
|xdpq8@ccvax.iastate.edu |  University  |                        -- RUSH --    +

c9101548@cc.newcastle.edu.au (05/20/91)

Sim earth copy protection

A solution I have found useful is to use the notebook DA
fill it with the planet details from the back of mannual and
when sim earth asks a question press return look up the
question in the note book and open or create a planet
sim earth then asks the same question again !!
Sim earth plus system and notebook all fit on one 1.44 meg disk