[comp.sys.mac.games] My problem with Educorp

es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Mitchell Snider) (05/06/91)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.games: 5-May-91 What's everyone's
> problem i.. Barry Campbell@chatham.u (481)

> Everyone seems to be boycotting them, but I haven't heard an intelligent
> answer yet from ANYONE I've asked why.

> Can someone on the net explain to me why Educorp is in such remarkable
> disfavor?

> Barry Campbell
> barry%chatham@duke.cs.duke.edu / UUCP: [...] mcnc!wolves!chatham!barry
> Chatham Host BBS 919 932 1142 / Chapel Hill, North Carolina

This is kind of strange... I saw Educorp mentioned in a post in regard
to SpaceShip Warlock and decided to post.  Then I saw this message which
is exactly what I wanted to talk about!

Anyway, I'm the author of some shareware games for the Mac (Forty
Thieves 2.1, etc.).  I remember being pretty excited when Educorp sent
me a letter and asked for my permission to distribute my games.  In
return for my agreement I was supposed to get around 5 disks from them
for free.  This sounded pretty great so I agreed and shipped off the
signed form.  After about a month I hadn't received the disks so I gave
them a call.  The guy I talked to said they must have gotten lost in the
mail and he'd be sure to send them right off.  Right.  I've never gotten
the disks.

In fact probably the thing that bugs me most right now is that they
don't bother to keep the latest versions of my programs either.  That's
pretty annoying.  I realize I've put my games out for public
distribution but I think Educorp is weaselly and I will never recommend
someone buy anything from them.  Have any other shareware authors had
any problems with Educorp?

Eric Snider
es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu

2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/06/91)

> Have any other shareware authors had
> any problems with Educorp?
>
> Eric Snider
> es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu

No, no problems at all.  Try a nude splash screen on your game.  Seems to keep
the robber-barons at bay. :)

john calhoun (soft dorothy)

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (05/07/91)

In article <8c9=MDO00VpdEGzEoW@andrew.cmu.edu> es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric
Mitchell Snider) writes:
>  I'm the author of some shareware games for the Mac (Forty
> Thieves 2.1, etc.).  I remember being pretty excited when Educorp sent
> me a letter and asked for my permission to distribute my games.

EduCorp asked your permission? They never asked me... (To be fair: I don't
really mind not being asked, unlike many other shareware authors.
Distribution is the name of the game for shareware, and EduCorp can reach
people that the nets and user groups don't.)

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) (05/09/91)

>In fact probably the thing that bugs me most right now is that they
>don't bother to keep the latest versions of my programs either.  That's
>pretty annoying.  I realize I've put my games out for public
>distribution but I think Educorp is weaselly and I will never recommend
>someone buy anything from them.  Have any other shareware authors had
>any problems with Educorp?
>
>Eric Snider
>es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu

I've gotten two disks from Educorp (as part of MacWorld subscriptions)  and
found nothing valuable in them.  The programs were all old versions of
shareware programs that I had already recieved the much newer versions of.
I don't know of anything Educorp has done to deserve boycotting them for,
but I don't know of anything they have done that's worth doing business with
them for either.
|        Zach Ullevig        |          "I like maxims that don't            |
|   University of Colorado   |       encourage behavior modification."       |
| ullevig@tramp.colorado.edu |                                --Calvin       |
|____________________________|_______________________________________________|

chris@momenta.com (Chris Christensen) (05/10/91)

I have sent some of my shareware to EduCorp (unsolicited) twice and
received 9-10 free disks from them without any problem. The only
gripe I have had is that it takes FOREVER for things to show up in their
catalog. That is the disadvantage of making what is the most discriptive
catalog I have seen. Forever in this context means over a year.

Chris Christensen

gtephx (Mike Pflueger) (05/10/91)

> >In fact probably the thing that bugs me most right now is that they
> >don't bother to keep the latest versions of my programs either.  That's
> >pretty annoying.  I realize I've put my games out for public
> >distribution but I think Educorp is weaselly and I will never recommend
> >someone buy anything from them.  Have any other shareware authors had
> >any problems with Educorp?
> >
> >Eric Snider
> >es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu

YES!!

  - They were "selling" my programs without even attempting to contact
    or notify me.  This pisses me off BIG TIME!  THEY were profiting from
    MY work.

  - One of these programs had been modified and was not even functional!
    Obviously they didn't even try it.  I shudder to think what kind of
    viruses and destructive programs could get by.

I contacted them in writing and subsequently spoke to the "president"
(Vahe Guzel, I believe was his name). I found his ethics to be generally
lacking.  When I pointed out that one of my programs they were distributing
had been modified and was not even functional, he said to look at that as
an opportunity - people would be more encouraged to send in the shareware
fee to get a working version!  I informed him that I have higher standards
than that, I don't believe in bait-and-switch type tactics.  He seemed
surprised.

I asked how do they protect customers from viruses and destructive programs,
and he said they check everything they distribute.  I asked how my program
got distributed then, since the copy they had was non-functional.  He didn't
know how it "slipped by."

I also pressed him on the fact that not only are they profiting from MY
work without my permission AND WITHOUT EVEN THE COURTESY TO NOTIFY ME
(I noticed my programs in one of their catalogs in Mac<World|User>).  He
said that they distribute too many programs to contact every author.  HA!
Amazingly, they DO manage to copy, catalog, distribute, AND profit from
them all.  Oh yeah, and supposedly check each one for viruses too.

After several calls and letters from him, a total about an hours worth
of discussing what I believe to be unethical practices, he finally offered
me my choice of something like four of their disks as compensation.  But
he was missing my point. He never did concede that they were using any
questionable practices or would change any of their policies.  So, I
demanded that they remove my programs from distribution.  It took me
several attempts and threats of litigation to get them to do this.

I also had people who had purchased this modified, non-functioning program
from Educorp virtually demanding support because they had paid for the
program.  While Educorp DOES now put notices in their catalogs distinguishing
Shareware from Freeware and suggesting people send the shareware fee in,
it was obvious that people felt that they HAD paid and that I was somehow
also compensated.  I would inform them of the situation and suggested that
they contact Educorp immediately to complain about being ripped off for
non-functional programs and the potential for destructive programs.

As such, I've not done any more shareware programming the last few years,
I've been keeping things to myself.  I am about to release a new program
though, and have much stronger notices in the program that distribution
for profit is prohibited except with my written permission.

I would recommend that EVERYONE stay away from places like Educorp!
Obviously they want to turn a cheap buck and don't care who they screw
doing it.

Obviously this subject hit a nerve  :-(

Mike
--
Mike Pflueger @ AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE Comm. Sys.), Phoenix, AZ
  UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!hrc | att}!gtephx!pfluegerm

Bob.Nordling@f13.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Nordling) (05/18/91)

>In fact probably the thing that bugs me most right now is that
>they
>don't bother to keep the latest versions of my programs either.
>That's
>pretty annoying.  I realize I've put my games out for public
>distribution but I think Educorp is weaselly and I will never
>recommend
>someone buy anything from them.  Have any other shareware
>authors had
>any problems with Educorp?
>
>Eric Snider
>es1o+@andrew.cmu.edu

Eric (and any other shareware author):

I too am annoyed when looking at shareware catalogs and collections
of software on CDs to see that the producers have often mispelled
the name of programs, included the program several times under
different names (on CDs), and not bothered to procure the latest
versions of the software.

Eric, thanks for sending us the latest version of Forty Theives. Any
time you or any other shareware authors would like to have your
software distributed on America Online, BIX, CompuServe, Fidonet,
GEnie, or Usenet (Sumex), mail me a copy and I will see that it is
distributed on these networks as well as in the UK, and throughout
Europe as soon as our Mac software distribution is in place there.
I will also mail you back your diskette loaded with some recent
shareware programs. We will also publish in our bi-monthly publication
Home & School Mac a comprehensive listing of VALID shareware author
addresses in our "Shareware Authors Address Book". We wrote several
hundred authors at least twice to confirm their addresses and to
offer our services to them. We are catalog all the shareware
entertainment/education programs (over 1000 programs), reviewing
some of them, doing compatibility tests on several CPUs, trying to
get valid addresses of the authors (so people can register them),
offering discounts ($3.00 off) for people who wish to join our user
group if they register a shareware program (with a registration fee
of $3.00 or more), and in July will have a GAMER Project BBS open to
our members as well as to all shareware authors and commercial
developer representatives.

To have your shareware programs distributed, mail it/them to:
GAMER Project, 15 Everglades St., Kenner, LA 70065
For information about joining the GAMER Project, send a note to the
same address. Shareware authors can have their programs distributed
free of charge, have "honorary" access (full access) to the BBS once
it comes online, and receive a 50% discount if they wish to join to
receive our bi-monthly publication along with the disk of new
shareware (in Compactor format so we can fit more on). Membership is
$15.00/year, $7.50 for shareware authors).
---
 * Origin: New Orleans MUG BBS (Line 3) * RA/D'Bridge * PEP/V.32 (1:396/13)

Bob.Nordling@f13.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Nordling) (05/20/91)

* In a message originally to All, Mike Pflueger said:
>I also pressed him on the fact that not only are they profiting
>from MY
>work without my permission AND WITHOUT EVEN THE COURTESY TO
>NOTIFY ME
>(I noticed my programs in one of their catalogs in
>Mac<World|User>).  He
>said that they distribute too many programs to contact every
>author.  HA!

Mike. Educorp is a business. They profit a great deal off of selling
shareware without the minimal courtesies of insuring that the
programs work, that they are the latest versions available, and that
the author is aware that they are selling it. I don't doubt they
have the resources to "at least try" to contact every author. I know
in working with the GAMER Project, we tried to contact every author
of Mac entertainment (shareware) software. Out of 350 authors who
were written, 1/3 of the authors responded, 1/3 of the letters were
returned as having invalid addresses (forwarding order expired,
forward order not established), and 1/3 of the letters were either
not returned by the authors or the US Postal System. At the GAMER
Project, we only focus on entertainment/educational Mac shareware,
but we have a "Shareware Authors Address Book" so those who at least
wish to register programs have a VALID address to do so. From my
statistics, fully 2/3 of the authors which listed addresses in their
programs/documentation are currently incommunicado.

I am somewhat puzzled why everyone focuses on Educorp as the culprit
when the commercial online services make no effort to contact
authors nor to compensate them based on number of times/amount of time
involved in downloading. Although these companies don't depend like
Educorp for their entire livelihood on shareware, most likely some
of the electronic services would either would not have come about or
would have folded with out the boost of big bucks from time expended
on downloads. At least the electronic services check the programs
for viruses and generally keep the latest versions online. Then
there are many user groups which shareware authors rightly don't
besmirch generating revenues to support their non-profit groups
through the modest sales of pd/shareware disks.

What would be great is if there was a model online service which
gave a percentage of revenues generated by the downloads  to the
author of that program -- and also protected the caller from wasting
money on downloading buggy/crummy programs by reviewing each program
and designating a section of premium programs and "at own risk"
programs. Fred Showker, with the MUG News Service, distributes
shareware to raise money for the non-profit Johnny Appleseed Awards
(including grants to community service minded Mac
enthusiasts)...from what I hear, a percentage of the revenues go
back to the authors, but as usual, the big companies making the big
buck put their money in advertisement, spending less on promoting
the prosperity of shareware authors, whereas the people who try to
do the "right" thing struggle in obscurity. And I have heard from
many shareware authors which have spent hundreds/thousands of hours
on their hobby/first experience with the business world, only to not
receive a single registration or even postcard....there are lots of
interesting talented people in the Mac world who dwell in obsurity

---
 * Origin: New Orleans Mac User Group BBS (1:396/13)

Bob.Nordling@f13.n396.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Nordling) (05/20/91)

I would recommend that EVERYONE stay away from places like Educorp!
Obviously they want to turn a cheap buck and don't care who they
screw
doing it.

Obviously this subject hit a nerve  :-(

Mike
--
Mike Pflueger @ AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE Comm. Sys.),
Phoenix,

Mike, I understand your frustration, however, if you stay away
from Educorp, why not exhort us to stay away from online services?
(and I say this with "fear and trembling" since I work on two major
online services...being compensated with free accounts).

We are left with user groups which do not contact shareware authors
(since they invest so much time in volunteer work that they have
little left to do it if they wished), but which normally provide at
least support for shareware products in formal and informal ways
and check the programs for viruses before distribution. We feel good
about user groups since they are "freeware consultants" for Apple
...I know some people who would be rich if they were paid $1 for
each call they got from non-members who were referred to them for
product support by Apple Computer and local dealers.

The problem is that a viable alternative to Educorp would entail
cooperation of the shareware authors and the "do the right thing"
business, a willingness for an entity to fight Educorp if they
trampled on the rights of shareware authors, and notices within
shareware that was unambiguous about distribution. Without these
3 things, Educorp (and similar smaller companies) will be the
standard way of doing business.

---
 * Origin: New Orleans MUG BBS (Line 3) * RA/D'Bridge * PEP/V.32 (1:396/13)