[comp.sys.mac.games] SpaceWard Ho again

ianf@cs.adelaide.edu.au (Ian Florance) (05/21/91)

Spaceword Ho sounds very similiar to REACH for the STARS.
In RFTS human players can not really play each other because you know
(1) Where the previous player on the star map is;
(2) Home planets can be deduced by ship movements which occur on screen
    after the last player
How does  Spaceward Ho compare?
{Is there and IBM version .... I have this friend...}

___________________________________________           _--_|\
Ian Florance         Phone : +6 18 228 5502          /      \
The Univeristy of Adelaide Apple Consortium          \_.--*_/
University of Adelaide,     South Australia                v

conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) (05/21/91)

In article <3333@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>, ianf@cs.adelaide.edu.au (Ian Florance) writes:
> Spaceword Ho sounds very similiar to REACH for the STARS.

SH is Reach for the Stars done right.

> In RFTS human players can not really play each other because you know
> (1) Where the previous player on the star map is;

You only know which planets belong to which player.  The only way to gather
that information is to explore/attack unknown planets (which have a question
mark in them).

> (2) Home planets can be deduced by ship movements which occur on screen
>     after the last player

You don't know planetary strength unless you attack.

> How does  Spaceward Ho compare?

You do
have a table indicating your relative strength in terms of income,
number of planets, key technologies, etc.

> {Is there and IBM version

No.
--
			    E n r i q u e  C o n t y
			  The Amazing Man-With-No-Life

ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (05/25/91)

In <3333@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> ianf@cs.adelaide.edu.au (Ian Florance) writes:

>Spaceword Ho sounds very similiar to REACH for the STARS.
>In RFTS human players can not really play each other because you know
>(1) Where the previous player on the star map is;

No.  In this way the game is like Strategic Conquest (another Delta Tao),
you have no information about a star unless you go there, and when you
leave, you get no further info.

>(2) Home planets can be deduced by ship movements which occur on screen
>    after the last player

Not a problem.

>How does  Spaceward Ho compare?
>{Is there and IBM version .... I have this friend...}

SWH sounds much superior.  Playing against human opponents is just like
playing against the computer except that you have to wait for them to
finish their turn :-).  Of course, you can set turn limits.  The first time
I played a multi-player game I was a bit confused as to what was happening,
but I quickly got the feel of how turns where updated.  Very well done.

--
Alex Jauch
*ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu       |"If all you have is a hammer, then the whole*