[comp.sys.mac.games] Simcity for IIsi

pn0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Ng) (05/05/91)

Has anyone been able to run Simcity on a Mac IIsi?  I have a 80/5 Mac
and everytime I run it, it would crash after about 5 secs of play.  I
even have an FPU but that seems to be no avail.  Is there something
about inits or my Mac's configuration that I should know in order to
play this game? Help!

Thanx in advance...

Peter

pn0o+@andrew.cmu.edu

jfe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/05/91)

In article <4c8t=DS00WBNQ2tFMV@andrew.cmu.edu>,
pn0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Ng) writes:
> Has anyone been able to run Simcity on a Mac IIsi?  I have a 80/5 Mac
> and everytime I run it, it would crash after about 5 secs of play.  I
> even have an FPU but that seems to be no avail.  Is there something
> about inits or my Mac's configuration that I should know in order to
> play this game? Help!
>
> Thanx in advance...
>
> Peter
>
> pn0o+@andrew.cmu.edu

You know, I have the same problem with my LC, too.  I think I can get more
than five seconds if I play around with different configurations, but the
result is the same:  system crash because the heap collision with stack.  Does
anybody know what this error means?  I tried changing heap sizes, but no matter
how big/small I make it, it always crashes.  Is there anyway to run SimCity,
or will I have to get the SimCity Supreme?

Thanks

|        T. H. Brian Chung                |                                   |
|        Tens of math credits             |     "So in my small way,          |
|        Hundreds of physics credits      |      I'm a big man on Mulberry    |
|        And an attitude...               |      Street."                     |
|                                         |                                   |
|        jfe@cornella (bitnet)            |                  Billy Joel       |
|        in%"jfe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu"    |                                   |
|         (internet)                      |     "Let's see what's out there." |
|                                         |                                   |
|                                         |             Jean-Luc Picard       |

thorn@godot.RadOnc.UNC.EDU (Jesse Thorn) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May5.105106.4503@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> jfe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>In article <4c8t=DS00WBNQ2tFMV@andrew.cmu.edu>,
>pn0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Ng) writes:
>> Has anyone been able to run Simcity on a Mac IIsi?  I have a 80/5 Mac
>> and everytime I run it, it would crash after about 5 secs of play.  I
>> even have an FPU but that seems to be no avail.  Is there something
>> about inits or my Mac's configuration that I should know in order to
>> play this game? Help!

Only SimCity Supreme (the color version) runs on the si. The
monochrome version will not work. I verified this with someone in
customer support at Maxis Software.

Jesse

ingemar@isy.liu.se (Ingemar Ragnemalm) (05/13/91)

thorn@godot.RadOnc.UNC.EDU (Jesse Thorn) writes:

>In article <1991May5.105106.4503@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> jfe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>>In article <4c8t=DS00WBNQ2tFMV@andrew.cmu.edu>,
>>pn0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Ng) writes:
>>> Has anyone been able to run Simcity on a Mac IIsi?  I have a 80/5 Mac
>>> and everytime I run it, it would crash after about 5 secs of play.  I
>>> even have an FPU but that seems to be no avail.  Is there something
>>> about inits or my Mac's configuration that I should know in order to
>>> play this game? Help!
>>>

>Only SimCity Supreme (the color version) runs on the si. The
>monochrome version will not work. I verified this with someone in
>customer support at Maxis Software.

Nope. When I found out my B/W Simcity didn't work, I borrowed the "Supreme"
from a friend. It says "SimCity Supreme" on a little sticker on the box, but
the box is otherwise identical to my old one. Anyway - La Bomba.

So I guess the word "supreme" is not enough. Is there an even newer version?

--
Ingemar Ragnemalm
Dept. of Electrical Engineering	     ...!uunet!mcvax!enea!rainier!ingemar

d88-jwa@hemul.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/29/91)

   >>> Has anyone been able to run Simcity on a Mac IIsi?  I have a 80/5 Mac
   >>> and everytime I run it, it would crash after about 5 secs of play.  I

   >Only SimCity Supreme (the color version) runs on the si. The

   Nope. When I found out my B/W Simcity didn't work, I borrowed the "Supreme"
   from a friend. It says "SimCity Supreme" on a little sticker on the box, but

Well, this may be off the point, but I bought SimCity Supreme 1.2c
a while ago, and tried it with system 7. Bomb. Okay, just boot up
A/UX for system 6. Bomb. I was a little annoyed, until I turned on
32bit addressing for system 7 - runs OK ! (though bombs if you quit
and launch again)

32bit finder under A/UX is also OK, and I prefer this since the
system 7 crashes may corrupt something - under A/UX I just have
to re-launch the mac process :-)

Weird bug fix, huh ? btw. this was on a IIfx, so don't know about
the IIsi, but try !

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se