[comp.sys.mac.games] Any tips on beating the computer in NetTrek 3.0?

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/27/91)

The first few computer ships I beat in a single-player game of NetTrek
3.0 are easy; they just come at me straight and slow, giving me ample
opportunity to wipe them out with photons at medium range.  But by the
time I'm facing five computer opponents, it's just ludicrous -- I've
pounded the computer's ships with as many as twenty direct phaser hits
and about a dozen photon hits with no sign that they've been damaged
at all, then they hit me four times with phasers through my shields
and render me utterly helpless.  All too frequently, they hit me just
enough to knock out my impulse drive, then they fly through me (which
either destroys me or makes me have to wait for three minutes for
enough repairs to limp back to my starbase).  Of course, even when I'm
destroyed by being rammed, the ship that just rammed me emerges quite
unscathed.  (The Gorn ships seem to use this ramming technique most of
all.)

I'm getting pretty frustrated at the fact that they ram me before I
have a chance to volley enough photons at them to stop them, and at
the fact that they seem to follow me around even when I've gone to the
trouble to cloak myself, and at the fact that they seem to have an
unlimited supply of photons.

Does anyone out there have any tips or strategies or other tricks for
beating the computer's ships?  I mean, should I practice just sitting
still and blasting whatever comes my way (they converge on me from
several directions and ram me), or should I get better at whooshing
past them with open fire (they tend to anticipate my direction and ram
me)?

What's the best ship to use: Terran, Kling, or Rom?  How do the
strategies differ between them?

Thanks for any info!

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

chuck@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) (05/27/91)

In article <10062@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
> What's the best ship to use: Terran, Kling, or Rom?  How do the
> strategies differ between them?
>
> Thanks for any info!
>
>      << Brian >>

The best strategy is to deploy a base, sit still and lure a whole crowd of
enemies up close, and then blow up the base. Gets 'em all every time.

Chuck Shotton                 Internet:   cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu
"Your silly quote here."      UUCP:       ...!buster!brain

carr@apple.com (Randy Carr) (05/28/91)

In article <10062@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

> The first few computer ships I beat in a single-player game of NetTrek
> 3.0 are easy; they just come at me straight and slow, giving me ample
> opportunity to wipe them out with photons at medium range.  But by the
> time I'm facing five computer opponents, it's just ludicrous -- I've
> pounded the computer's ships with as many as twenty direct phaser hits
> and about a dozen photon hits with no sign that they've been damaged
> at all, then they hit me four times with phasers through my shields
> and render me utterly helpless.  All too frequently, they hit me just
> enough to knock out my impulse drive, then they fly through me (which
> either destroys me or makes me have to wait for three minutes for
> enough repairs to limp back to my starbase).  Of course, even when I'm
> destroyed by being rammed, the ship that just rammed me emerges quite
> unscathed.  (The Gorn ships seem to use this ramming technique most of
> all.)
>
> I'm getting pretty frustrated at the fact that they ram me before I
> have a chance to volley enough photons at them to stop them, and at
> the fact that they seem to follow me around even when I've gone to the
> trouble to cloak myself, and at the fact that they seem to have an
> unlimited supply of photons.
>
> Does anyone out there have any tips or strategies or other tricks for
> beating the computer's ships?  I mean, should I practice just sitting
> still and blasting whatever comes my way (they converge on me from
> several directions and ram me), or should I get better at whooshing
> past them with open fire (they tend to anticipate my direction and ram
> me)?

Well, I wrote the silly algorithm for movement of the ships.  And the ships
aren't what I would call 'smart'.  Actually, I'm not really sure how it
functions. I wrote the code once and it worked so I didn't change it.
However, It doesn't 'cheat' it just seems that way.  Instead the ships
obtain their full strength at the higher 'levels'.  The first computer ships
are incredibly weak and stupid.  This is to give you a sense of
accomplishment at the start of the game.

Try lots of bases and dock frequently and 'warping' to them and dropping
and detonating the bases.  Each time you dock after a bit of time you get
another base as well as getting healed.  And you can warp to 'em if you have
warp engines (just be sure to have 2 bases as warping takes one of 'em out).
Also, stay at right angles to the ship and keep a bit of acceleration on all
the time as this confuses the computer weapon range calculation. Never sit
still unless you have to.

> What's the best ship to use: Terran, Kling, or Rom?  How do the
> strategies differ between them?

Well, Klings are my favorite because of their quick turning capability, but
they're the weakest.  Roms have the most powerful torps (power = 3) and
can take the most damage.

> Thanks for any info!
>
>      << Brian >>
>
> | Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
> | Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
> | Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
> "You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

Randy Carr
Apple Computer, Inc.
Internet: carr@apple.com

pete@netcom.COM (Peter O'leary) (05/30/91)

 In article <10062@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
> What's the best ship to use: Terran, Kling, or Rom?  How do the
> strategies differ between them?
>
> Thanks for any info!
>
>      << Brian >>

IMHO, Klingons are generally superior to either Terrans or Romulans.
Klingons turn faster, accelerate faster and, most importantly, regenerate
energy *much* faster than either T's or R's. Terrans are kinda cool to play
sometimes 'cause their phasers and torpedoes are devastating. One Terran
photon torp' will tear through a Klingon shield set on max and *still*
damage the Kling's ship.

Pete.