[comp.sys.mac.games] Moonbase or somesuch...

bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) (05/25/91)

I saw a game in a store tonight called Moonbase or something like that.  I
try to stay abreast of new Mac games, but this one caught me completely
offguard.  Reading the box, it looks like a SimCity-style game, except
you're building a moon base.  Anyone know anything about this game?

Tob

rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) (05/26/91)

In article <132073@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, bluecow@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Tobish E Smith) writes:
> I saw a game in a store tonight called Moonbase or something like that.  I
> try to stay abreast of new Mac games, but this one caught me completely
> offguard.  Reading the box, it looks like a SimCity-style game, except
> you're building a moon base.  Anyone know anything about this game?

That's pretty much it.  You play the role of a "lunar colony administrator."
(Commander Koenig, anyone? :-)).  Start out with absolutely nothing (you), and
attempt to build a self-support- ing lunar colony.  The limiting factor is
the amount of revenue you're able to afford, vs. the amount of support you
get from NASA.  The economic model is alleged to be fairly accurate.  The game
was a cooperative effort between Wesson Int'l and KDT.

The manual is actually a 120-page science-fiction novella, with boxed
"technical" instructions interspersed.  There's also a poster by Pat
Rawlings.

The game runs in both color and black and white.  It's based on the PC version
released late last year, but has a few more features, and fixes a few bugs
in that version.  The Mac version was released last month.

Disclaimer: I beta-tested the game.  It is published by Wesson Int'l, the
same company that publishes the Mac TRACON // port I wrote.  For more info,
contact Wesson @ 512-328-0100.  If there's any interest, I'll track down
some independent magazine reviews.

---
Robert Dorsett
Internet: rdd@cactus.org
UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) (05/27/91)

Yes, it's exactly that.  A sim city clone, but done better IMHO.  There's more
to making a city in this game.  You must manage the economy.  You have to
choose what type of miners and extractors in order to geterate enough money
to keep alive.  I also believe you may eventually be able to create an atmosphere on the moon, but that's just a guess.  It's a 16 color or b/w game and
runs very nicely on system 7 with  32 bit addressing (didn't try the
virtual mode).

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Philip Wong
(301) 235-3998

Corey_Lynn_Nelson@cup.portal.com (06/01/91)

Robert Dorsett:
Well, you told us about the game, but did you LIKE it? We tested SimCity
and loved it!

Corey_Lynn_Nelson@cup.portal.com        *  That is the saving
Voice (415) 373-7638    CompuServe: 73617,3476  * grace of humor, if you fail
BBS   (415) 373-0873    GEnie: c.nelson17       * no is laughing at you.
FAX   (415) 373-7639                            *      - A. Whitney Brown
Mail: P.O. Box 2229, Livermore, CA  94551