[comp.sys.mac.games] Quarterstaff

jkm@mbunix.mitre.org (Millen) (07/16/90)

 How can I get through the circular room with the granite statue?
The doors slam and the statue seems both implacable and invulnerable.
I'd appreciate a hint or two, I'm stumped.
-Jon Millen

d88-cbr@dront.nada.kth.se (Christian Beijner) (07/17/90)

In article <113468@linus.mitre.org> jkm@mbunix.mitre.org (Millen) writes:

> How can I get through the circular room with the granite statue?
>The doors slam and the statue seems both implacable and invulnerable.
>I'd appreciate a hint or two, I'm stumped.
>-Jon Millen

The right way to do it is to have one character, (the first) open
the door and all the others go in that direction.
The first character will get hit at least once. The other characters
try to open the door and the first characters tries to go south.

However. I accidentally discovered another way of dealing with the
status. The first character attacks the statue with a torch only.
the other characters attacks normally. (this might break you weapons)
Somehow the statuse never attacks, but this takes a looong time.

Kevin.Hill@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kevin Hill) (07/23/90)

  Can you kill the statue??

--
Kevin Hill - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Kevin.Hill

Cole Bader (03/19/91)

Has anyone played the game Quarterstaff from Infocom?  I gave it up because I
hated the copy protection so much (it consisted of a rune, coin, riddle, etc.
that I never really figured out).  However, having spent 41 bucks (or however
much it was a year ago) to buy it, I thought I may as well try to finish the
game.  Does anyone know of a walkthrough/hintbook/spoilers that would help me?

Thanks.

Cole Bader
crbader@phoenix.princeton.edu
-----------------------------

ds4a@dalton.acc.Virginia.EDU (Dale Southard) (03/20/91)

In article <7312@idunno.Princeton.EDU> crbader@phoenix.princeton.edu writes:
>Has anyone played the game Quarterstaff from Infocom?  I gave it up because I
>hated the copy protection so much (it consisted of a rune, coin, riddle, etc.
>that I never really figured out).  However, having spent 41 bucks (or however
>much it was a year ago) to buy it, I thought I may as well try to finish the
>game.  Does anyone know of a walkthrough/hintbook/spoilers that would help me?

Actually, the "copy protection" riddle only has to be solved once, and really
isn't much of a hasle after that (I thought it was kinda fun -- much more
fun than Wizardry's annoying "magic spell" dialog that occurs EVERY GAME)
I will give you a "spoiler" for the coin/rune riddle by e-mail if you want.
For hints, the online help is pretty extensive (except for the coin/rune).

-->  -->  Dale  UVa  (ds4a@virginia.edu)

Gary.Penn@p911.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Gary Penn) (05/23/91)

I have a few questions about Infocom's Quarterstaff
1) Are there different version with different scenarios? I have version
2.0c, but i have heard that there are other versions
2) Has anyone solver this game?  Is there any way to beat the Statue in
the round room?
3) What are the best weapons to use for: Titus, Bruno, Eolene?  They
never hit with the ones I have.
4) What keys do I need? How do I know?
5) I figured out the parchment and coin, and that helps, but only with
locks, wands, scrolls, and potions. What about keys, and weapons and
such?
6) Any helpful hints are appreciated.

 * Origin: The Clone: Macintosh Things - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421.911)

6600bwg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Barney W. Greinke) (05/24/91)

I beat the statue in the round
room.  Just whooped on him for
a while with weapons obtained
in the area above the temple.

.
:

hobond@brahms.udel.edu (Ho B Wong) (05/26/91)

In article <674971328.1@blkcat.FidoNet> Gary.Penn@p911.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Gary Penn) writes:
>I have a few questions about Infocom's Quarterstaff
>1) Are there different version with different scenarios? I have version
>2.0c, but i have heard that there are other versions
>2) Has anyone solver this game?  Is there any way to beat the Statue in
>the round room?
>3) What are the best weapons to use for: Titus, Bruno, Eolene?  They
>never hit with the ones I have.
>4) What keys do I need? How do I know?
>5) I figured out the parchment and coin, and that helps, but only with
>locks, wands, scrolls, and potions. What about keys, and weapons and
Can you post this info on the net?  I would like to know also.
Thanks....>such?
>6) Any helpful hints are appreciated.
>
> * Origin: The Clone: Macintosh Things - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421.911)

=Ho-Bond T. Wong                    /   /___     /    ___   =
=My name is Bond.......Ho-Bond     /| /  | /  --/--/-___/__ =
=From the 1st State....Delaware   / |  / | \    \ /     \   =
=	"Not DelaWhere?"            |   \|      / \    \|   =
=E-mail me, it gets lonely in this small wonder.            =
=       "hobond@sun.acs.udel.edu"       ------Konnigiwa-----=
=(302) 738-1730   			------Konbanwa------=

cah@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Allen Halsell) (05/29/91)

In article <674971328.1@blkcat.FidoNet> Gary.Penn@p911.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Gary Penn) writes:
>I have a few questions about Infocom's Quarterstaff
>1) Are there different version with different scenarios? I have version
>2.0c, but i have heard that there are other versions

I wish there were.  I've played some of the adventure games around,
but this one was really fun.  Not too complicated and the
character-joining idea was quite different.  I know the glossy stuff
in the package promised more scenarios, but nobody here has talked
about them.  I don't think they exist.

>2) Has anyone solver this game?  Is there any way to beat the Statue in
>the round room?

I did destroy the statue once, for fun, but I don't have any helpful hints.
Maybe I used a wand to do it?

>3) What are the best weapons to use for: Titus, Bruno, Eolene?  They
>never hit with the ones I have.

I think you should choose a weapon and stick with it.  You get to
"train" your character this way.

This is a problem with the game - I always ended up with
proficiencies in really useless things like acid and fire which
basically don't exist.  I did get Titus up to near 50% for swords (or
whatever the category is).  Maybe more, it's years since I played it.

--
Mars is essentially in the same orbit ... we have seen pictures where
there are canals, we believe, and water.  If there is water, that

Gary.Penn@p911.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Gary Penn) (06/03/91)

So what I do about this QStaff stuff.  What weapons to use?  What
things to do?

 * Origin: The Clone: Macintosh Things - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421.911)