[comp.sys.mac.games] Railroad Tycoon

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (05/26/91)

Whoops...the init I uploaded to patch _SetPalette had a call to Debugger()
in it...well, here is the version without it.

(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)
:%9"KE'9dG'8J9(*KF#"*6NP8!%P1593r2cmr!!!!!!!!!!!##(%V!!!!!!%!!!!
"X!!!!,!!!!"B!!!#"`Y3FQ9QCA*PEQ0PF`%!!!!!#3!!!LkM5JXrT'-48'&XCA4
dC5"8FQ&`)%P1593#!!)!58j*9$mr2cm"!!)!58j*9$mr2cm"!!#[!,m!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!"BLNC&S"!!!!!!!!!JJ!!(0MBQYcBf*V%3!!D!#!!!!!!!6k!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"9R`!!9J#N2(9!T&pT(`!!!!!!K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#6X3!V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bh*KF'*[EfXJ4QPXC@X#!!!!Ff0
LDh0MBQX4!!"S!!!!$#"Ihr`!!!!+6Y"1G3!!!*aJ$J!!58j*9!#!!!!!!!!!3IV
rlNja6R&J!!"%)PmJAk!E6[S!$Lpi!UB!"%lk!!a`!#m*-F!#)%jeF!"JpL*I)&q
J5Nlkrq`LAa)I-"mJAbm*5J&R"+C(B!+L4dje,`Y#Tdkkrm)JAdK36VVrX%+R5(P
$6d4&2c`!J+JI)&mQ5#m,UC)[#dkkrlB[%cmm!T8I2!!"6VVrXLCI6R8!!!%!!!!
"X!!!!,!!!!"B!#ffBJC!!!!!(!"'!!&$6d4&!!!!%NP1593!!!!H!)$rreJ!!!!
!!!!!!)!!!&`!!"!!,E9'%9p6CA43B@aPG(4P)'CTH'9b*kX:

pb1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Glen Berger) (05/28/91)

Ok, so I bought it.

Observations:

o At least initially, it is *infinitely* more profitable
to create several short, straight lines between cities close together
than to go for long-distance hauling.

o If you have a hub, build a switching yard.  This goes double if the
hub is one end of a line which is currently in a rate war.

o If you can, avoid building depots just for one commodity; try to at
least have some villages so there will be passengers and mail to
carry:  When a resource runs out, that way, the line won't become a
dead weight on your system.

o You may as well buy your stock early, since if you're successful, it
will increase your net worth, and if you're not the extra cash
probably wouldn't have helped you anyway.

o In boom times, "Roll over" your bonds to decrease your interest
payments.  Paying back bonds as soon as you have a steady income (say
of 2-400,000 per year) helps boost that income considerably by
eliminating interest payments altogether.

o Get priority shipments if you can, but if doing so will screw up
your finely balanced system, ignore them. (question: has anyone
figured out just how priority picking up and delivering works?  It
seems to have very little to do with the "priority" slot on the train
scheduling chart.  In my opinion, this is the weakest part of the
game.)

o If you can help it, don't build near a lake, because it will reduce
the possible industries/resources/cities within the radius of your
terminal (for instance, I build a really nice route connecting Green
Bay, Milwaukee, Chicago, and another town, with Milwaukee as the hub.
It's extremely profitable, but not a good as it could be, since the
lake takes up a good portion of the Milwaukee terminal's radius).

Any other RR Tycooners out there?  Let's correspond.

Pete Berger		       ||  ARPA:     peterb@cs.cmu.edu
Professional Student	       ||            Pete.Berger@andrew.cmu.edu
Univ. Pittsburgh School of Law ||  BITNET:   R746PB1P@CMCCVB
Attend this school, not CMU    ||  UUCP: ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!pb1p
"Goldilocks is about property rights.  Little Red Riding Hood is a tale
 of seduction, rape, murder, and cannibalism."  -Bernard J. Hibbits

szy@Apple.COM (Steven J. Szymanski) (05/28/91)

In article <ocEKEMS00VICN5OIRK@andrew.cmu.edu> pb1p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Glen Berger) writes:
>o At least initially, it is *infinitely* more profitable
>to create several short, straight lines between cities close together
>than to go for long-distance hauling.

For Freight this is clearly true. Passengers and Mail do however benefit from
distance traveled. I have found it u$eful to have some trains running Limited
service between relatively distant terminals (but still within a year of travel
and then others running local in between.

>o If you have a hub, build a switching yard.  This goes double if the
>hub is one end of a line which is currently in a rate war.

Yes! In fact, once I have money to spend, I put switching yards at any station
where I transform materials.

>o If you can, avoid building depots just for one commodity; try to at
>least have some villages so there will be passengers and mail to
>carry:  When a resource runs out, that way, the line won't become a
>dead weight on your system.

You may be right, but the tact I take is to build them anyway early in the
game, and eliminate them one they are no longer useful. This is particularly
true once you hit the 32 station limit (ARRRGH!). Once that happens, I start
punting my less profitable train routes, and them elimiate the stations
serviced by thore routes.

>o You may as well buy your stock early, since if you're successful, it
>will increase your net worth, and if you're not the extra cash
>probably wouldn't have helped you anyway.

Yes!!!! In addition, owning at least 50% of your own stock leaves you in the
position to take some more risky actions which would otherise upset the
stockholders.

>o In boom times, "Roll over" your bonds to decrease your interest
>payments.  Paying back bonds as soon as you have a steady income (say
>of 2-400,000 per year) helps boost that income considerably by
>eliminating interest payments altogether.

Yes. I tend to pay them back once I get 500K income per year, but alternate
years between growth and payback.

>o Get priority shipments if you can, but if doing so will screw up
>your finely balanced system, ignore them. (question: has anyone
>figured out just how priority picking up and delivering works?  It
>seems to have very little to do with the "priority" slot on the train
>scheduling chart.  In my opinion, this is the weakest part of the
>game.)

Any train with the right kind of car moving through a city which has a
priority shipment will pick up the shipment, and it will drop part of it off
in any city it drops that car off in. The result is that if there is a priority
shipment of passenegers, it will tend to get spead all around (once I recieved
the bonus comletely by surprise, my normal schedule just happened to ship it
in 3 stages).

I agree however that this is unrealistic. What bothers me more is that
passengers don't care where they are taken. The first game I played, I
planned my routes to make sure ther was a way for passenegers to get between
any pair of cities that I serviced. Now I don't bother since the people don't
care.

>o If you can help it, don't build near a lake, because it will reduce
>the possible industries/resources/cities within the radius of your
>terminal (for instance, I build a really nice route connecting Green
>Bay, Milwaukee, Chicago, and another town, with Milwaukee as the hub.
>It's extremely profitable, but not a good as it could be, since the
>lake takes up a good portion of the Milwaukee terminal's radius).

Yes. I always take my time deciding exactly where to playe terminals to
maximize what gets contained in their radius.

>Any other RR Tycooners out there?  Let's correspond.

Yes! I (szy@apple.com) would love to talk. Much to the ire of my wife (well,
not really) I have become hooked on this game.

.szy
--
AppleLink: szy				       "Apple has no idea what I am
Internet:  szy@apple.COM			saying here and should not be

steve@pinet.aip.org (Steve Lushing) (05/28/91)

The priority works if you reroute the train that is near the pickup. Then
you specified the schedule stop to express to the destination by select
the line for priority. This cause the train to move as best as possible.
So far it has work for me.
--
Stephen M. LuShing                           INTERNET: steve@pinet.aip.org
System Development                           BITNET: steve@aip.bitnet

mblakele@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tad Blakeley) (05/29/91)

	Back on the subject of Railroading under 7.0, I'm having problems
with my vanilla Mac II, PMMU, 5 meg, 4 bit.  VM, for instance, makes the
map-building module crash and burn.
	So I don't use VM.  Then I can play the game, but odd things keep
happening.  For instance, if I remove a station from a train's route, the
train may take "Signal Tower" as its objective, giving me an "impossible
destination" error.  I can override it with a priority destination, but
then it'll be back.
	After I played for several hours, I also began to have mapping
problems.  Random sections of line would appear or disappear from the station
selection map, and eventually the whole map collapsed to a point.  Saving,
rebooting, and restarting the file had no effect.
	I'm in the midst of init testing now, to discover the roots of the
problem.  If anyone knows the cause of these "features," I'd love to hear
from you.
							thanks,
							tad

--
~   "Begonia.  That would be...named for Governor Begon, a patron of         S
W	the sciences in colonial Santo Domingo." - The Begonia Trials  	     T

jonesie@cbnewsm.att.com (charles.e.jones) (05/30/91)

In article <12188@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mblakele@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tad Blakeley) writes:

>	So I don't use VM.  Then I can play the game, but odd things keep
>happening.  For instance, if I remove a station from a train's route, the
>train may take "Signal Tower" as its objective, giving me an "impossible
>destination" error.  I can override it with a priority destination, but
>then it'll be back.

	Notice that when you look at a train's schedule, the station
that the train is currently headed for is highlighted  (Or, rather it
is black while the rest are grayed.)

	When you remove the train's destination station from the list,
the train continues to that destination, despite the fact that it is no
longer in the schedule.  There is no 'next station' highlighted in
the train's schedule at all, at this point.  Once the trains gets to
the old destination station it no longer has *ANY* destination
designated, so it defaults to waiting at the "Signal Tower" for further
orders.

	And this is the way you've left the train - with no 'next
station' to go to.  As you said, a priority destination will override
this situation, but that's not what you want.

	What you need to do is select one of the four stations, then
choose the 'GO TO THIS STATION' menu item.  The chosen station will how
be 'black' as opposed 'grayed', the train will start off towards
that station ASAP, and the schedule will be followed from there.

				Chuck Jones
				cej@ccsitn.att.com

	[So what's the best retirement anybody's been offered?  I don't
hear a lot of bragging.  My only retirement so far was as a Mayor.  But
I got a *hot* RailRoad in progress now!!  It streches from San Diego to
Rock Island, all the bonds are repaid, and I've got $2,000,000 in cash
to burn tonight, and it's only the 1920's.]

	[Oh Yeah, my gripe.  Gee thanks, Sid Meier & Microprose.  As if
I wasn't missing enough sleep *already*.]

kevin@crash.cts.com (Kevin Hill) (05/30/91)

In <12188@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mblakele@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tad Blakeley) writes:

>	Back on the subject of Railroading under 7.0, I'm having problems
>with my vanilla Mac II, PMMU, 5 meg, 4 bit.  VM, for instance, makes the
>map-building module crash and burn.
>	So I don't use VM.  Then I can play the game, but odd things keep
>happening.  For instance, if I remove a station from a train's route, the
>train may take "Signal Tower" as its objective, giving me an "impossible
>destination" error.  I can override it with a priority destination, but
>then it'll be back.
>	After I played for several hours, I also began to have mapping
>problems.  Random sections of line would appear or disappear from the station
>selection map, and eventually the whole map collapsed to a point.  Saving,
>rebooting, and restarting the file had no effect.
>	I'm in the midst of init testing now, to discover the roots of the
>problem.  If anyone knows the cause of these "features," I'd love to hear
>from you.
>							thanks,
>							tad

  I am also having problems such as these.  I have a Mac Plus, (ug, slowness
to the nth degee!!)  and I also have the signal tower problem.. Usually, I
just kill the whole route list of the train and rebuild it.. That can cause
problems to as the train that is full of Coal bound for San Fran to be turned
into Goods and then go to Sacramento, suddenly is bound for Sacramento with
a load of useless coal... Ugg, again, use priority shipping to get it where
you want to go..  I like the game too much to stop playing, but please lets
get a update here soon!
  Also, my map seems to die sometimes to, don't know why, but it does. Ah well.
Also, System 7 and rail tycoon do not mix, at least with the mac plus.. I have
heard reports that it is a call to changepalette that causes the problem with
us lower machines. |).
   I did try the init that someone loaded to me but it seems to crash my machine
when I go to restart or shut it down...

-Kevin

merlyn@digibd.com (Merlyn LeRoy) (06/02/91)

mblakele@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tad Blakeley) writes:
>...For instance, if I remove a station from a train's route, the
>train may take "Signal Tower" as its objective, giving me an "impossible
>destination" error.  I can override it with a priority destination, but
>then it'll be back.

I've seen these kinds of bugs (I have a IIci, running 4-bit color,
still 6.0.7):

The Signal Tower bug, when a train can't figure out where to
go, even after a priority destination.  I can fix it by deleting
the whole route & rebuilding it.

If I have an 8-car train and try to delete the last car, it often
turns into a mail car instead of disappearing.

Minor redrawing bugs (e.g. train roster scroll bar)

Another unrealistic aspect is a point that produces and demands
a generic cargo, like coal, or paper.  Why would it both export
and import the same stuff?  (This happens under complex economy,
it's unavoidable under simple economy).  Unique stuff, like goods,
would make sense, since it may make one kind of good and buy others.
However, towns seem happy to buy their own stuff if you just
send it out & back (for a while, anyway).

Passengers should be fussier about where they're going, but that would
also complicate the passenger & mail cars; they'd have a lot of
flavors.  It isn't that bad, though; real trains often required a lot
of train changes to get from A to B (the old-fashioned accordian-folded
train ticket, made up of a bunch of short trips).  Maybe just
northbound, southbound, eastbound, and westbound cargos...
Do you get more passengers at stations that connect to more
places?

I've only had the game about a week, but it's pretty nice in spite of
the bugs (which can be worked around).  My 7-year-old son likes it, but
he can't grok the way to play; he just wants to lay rails and send
diesel engines full of empty passenger cars all over the place :-)
I have a few games with lots of cash built up and let him run it into
the ground...

The manual says you can't double-track 90 degree turns, but I've done
it.  It would also be nice to expand stations from other than the detail
display.

---
Merlyn LeRoy

zac@lysator.liu.se (Martin Zachrison) (06/03/91)

Where can I get rairoad tycoon, please email to me any mailorderstores
		/zac
zac@lysator.liu.se
Martin Zachrison, Sweden