[comp.sys.mac.games] Why put that bloody menu bar on games!!!!!!!!!

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (05/31/91)

	I have been checking out games for a small collection that i wish to
start, but most of them have that horrible "menu bar" at the top of them..

I hate it.. it sorta ruins the games look.. I mean, solarian II for example
has removed the menu bar, and it looks superb... same with diamonds...

Dunno why, but i just cant bring myself to buy a a game with that menu bar on it
and when i saw BOMB ALLEY with a menu bar, that was it, i had to post to see
if i was just a fussy werido or something, or if other people may think the
same!!!!

steve h

ccocswr@prism.gatech.EDU (Winston M. Rast (Georgia Tech Mac User)) (05/31/91)

I personally agree with you.  However, there are setbacks.  First of all, with
the introduction of System 7.0 or just using Multifinder with System 6.0.x,
switching between applications is very difficult if not impossible.

Second, it also makes you learn the keyboard commands.  No biggie but it does
become a nuisance I think.

Overall though I would rather not have the menu bar.  Many more advantages
than disadvantges.  If you like non-menu bar games, try Spectre, you'll love
it!

Winston

--
{{{{{ [[[[[ ((((( <<<<< ----- Winston M. Rast ----- >>>>> ))))) ]]]]] }}}}}
{{{{ [[[[ (((( <<<< ---- ccocswr@prism.gatech.edu  ---- >>>> )))) ]]]] }}}}

francis@math.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (05/31/91)

In article <steveh.675654886@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:

>	   I have been checking out games for a small collection that i wish to
>start, but most of them have that horrible "menu bar" at the top of them..

Every Mac program should have a menu bar.  Without it, users can't do a
lot of the stuff that they expect to be able to do, such as switching
between programs.  Most programmers are going to be leery of
alienating groups of users who want to let something run in the
background and go play a game.

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson) (05/31/91)

francis@math.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
 > steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:
 > > I have been checking out games for a small collection that i wish to
 > > start, but most of them have that horrible "menu bar" at the top of them..
 >
 > Every Mac program should have a menu bar.  Without it, users can't do a
 > lot of the stuff that they expect to be able to do, such as switching
 > between programs.

Arcade type games that use the whole screen should have some sort of option
to show the menu bar.  Perhaps between games, or when a game in progress is
"Paused".  This would allow the user to be able to access the menu bar if
and when necessary, but then have the game hide the menu bar during actual
play.  Best of both worlds.

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \ AmericaOnline: ErikAJ

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May31.051618.21603@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson) writes:

>Arcade type games that use the whole screen should have some sort of option
>to show the menu bar.  Perhaps between games, or when a game in progress is
>"Paused".  This would allow the user to be able to access the menu bar if
>and when necessary, but then have the game hide the menu bar during actual
>play.  Best of both worlds.

This is exactly what Chuck Yeagar's Flight trainer does. Anytime you hit the
escape, return, or enter keys, the game will pause and the menu bar is put up
to allow selections to be made. I think that it is a good compromise.

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

tshea@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (06/06/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91May30220542@math.uchicago.edu>, francis@math.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
> In article <steveh.675654886@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:
>
>>	   I have been checking out games for a small collection that i wish to
>>start, but most of them have that horrible "menu bar" at the top of them..
>
> Every Mac program should have a menu bar.  Without it, users can't do a
> lot of the stuff that they expect to be able to do, such as switching
> between programs.  Most programmers are going to be leery of
> alienating groups of users who want to let something run in the
> background and go play a game.
>
> --
> /============================================================================\
> | Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
> | Department of Mathematics    |=============================================|
> | University of Chicago	       | What do you get if you multiply 6 by 9?     |
> | francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu  |  --Ultimate Question			     |

In order to make a 'really neato game' you kindof have to break the
rules anyways.  This is true on all systems.  With the way the Mac OS is set up
now and if the game is worth it (not many are) I am would just set up a
bootable disk or partition just to play the game.  I agree with your point if
the game is something like Tetris but I disagree when you are talking about
flight simulators or kill everything in sight games.

tim shea

new address as of 6/9/91 -->  TSHEA@3M.com