[net.railroad] OAG

dws@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Don Saklad) (03/15/86)

About online fare and schedule information--has anyone heard about
something like the OAG for railroads?

cb@hlwpc.UUCP (C Blesch) (03/17/86)

> About online fare and schedule information--has anyone heard about
> something like the OAG for railroads?

Since Amtrak and VIA Rail have the passenger train monopoly,
they probably have control over any and all online information,
and I'm not sure they provide it to others electronically.
My travel agents, who are computerized for airline reservations,
call in my train reservations by old-fashioned voice telephone.

Carl Blesch

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) (03/19/86)

The Official Guide information is available (besides the old
hard-copy way) via certain airline computers.  If your travel agent
uses PARS or SABRE, they will be able to print train tickets as
easily as they print airline tickets.  It is true that the agent may
not know how to generate train tickets from such a system.

Some travel agents may also have direct hook-ups to ARROW, but I
can't be sure of that.  ARROW is amtk's reservation/ticket computer.
--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (03/19/86)

In article <690@hlwpc.UUCP> cb@hlwpc.UUCP (C Blesch) writes:
>> About online fare and schedule information--has anyone heard about
>> something like the OAG for railroads?
>
>Since Amtrak and VIA Rail have the passenger train monopoly,
>they probably have control over any and all online information,
>and I'm not sure they provide it to others electronically.
>My travel agents, who are computerized for airline reservations,
>call in my train reservations by old-fashioned voice telephone.
>
>Carl Blesch

   I don't know what kind of system your travel agent has but the travel
agency that I own has a TWA PARS system and we can get schedules,
availability, and issue tickets for AMTRAK directly with that system.  I
thought that American's Sabre System also had that capability and I suspect
that those systems that don't will soon catch up.

			Bob Shapiro