[comp.sys.mac.games] Spaceward Ho!

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (01/22/91)

>  To those who own the game :  Have you noticed in the resources all those
>multi colored icons that look like finder icons?  What are they?  System 7
>resources?????

Yes. In system 7, icons will appear automatically (no icon colorizer needed)
in color, if they're avaiable in the application (as they are in Spaceward
Ho!).

--
Peter Commons
commons@cs.stanford.edu

cem@cs.brown.edu (Charles E. Moylan) (02/01/91)

To anyone interested in excellent strategy games for the Macintosh:

  Recently I picked up a copy of a game called "Spaceward Ho!" from a
tiny company called Delta Tao.  It is one of the best Mac games I've
ever played.  In a nutshell, you are the leader of a spacefaring race,
and your objective is to conquer the galaxy, which is set up according to
a set of parameters you provide at the beginning of the game.  This is
accomplished by colonizing planets, mining for resources (which are
FINITE - and this is critical!), researching five different fields of
technology, and building starships (some combat vessels and some colony
ships).  The best part about building the starships is that you get
to design your own ship classes according to your current level of
technology!  Hi-tech ships cost more but, of course, are better.  High
"miniaturization" technology drives ship cost WAY up but brings the (again,
finite) resource cost way down which can be critical in the laste stages
of the game as the galaxy becomes depleted of resources.

  This game is highly addicting and I wish I didn't have class work to
take care of so I could play some more right now.  And, no, I am not
affiliated with Delta Tao in any way.  I just wanted to get the word out
on a game that merits praise.

--
Charlie Moylan (cem@cs.brown.edu)

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (02/01/91)

In article <63185@brunix.UUCP> cem@cs.brown.edu (Charles E. Moylan) writes:
|  Recently I picked up a copy of a game called "Spaceward Ho!" from a
|tiny company called Delta Tao.  It is one of the best Mac games I've
|ever played.

So how can I get ahold of Delta Tao?  Where is the game available?  How much?

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (02/01/91)

Delta Tao seems to be a nice organization, and I am not just saying that
because they gave me something in exchange for the Wizardry series. They
have three products: MacCheese, Strategic Conquests 3 and the intriguing
Spaceward Ho!, which is now much in demand chez Monks. What I like about
them is the feel of the early Mac and Apple days. Sort of a Zen/Tao free
atmosphere comes across. But perhaps it's all hype. For instructions how
to generate such perfectly justified text, apply to me.

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

beecher@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Ben Beecher) (02/02/91)

I want to add my voice to those who praise Delta Tao Software for
their fabulous new game, Spaceward Ho!  Here are a couple of excerpts
from recent comments in this newsgroup:

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) writes:
>Delta Tao seems to be a nice organization...What I like about
>them is the feel of the early Mac and Apple days. Sort of a Zen/Tao free
>atmosphere comes across.

I share Terry's opinion of this small, friendly company.  Their
software is top-notch and they use minimal packaging to help preserve
our environment.  The programs I bought come in slim white boxes
without styrofoam or cardboard fillers.  Spaceward Ho! and Strategic
Conquest V3.0 are reasonably priced ($30 each) and Delta Tao sends an
invoice with the package so the customer pays AFTER receiving the
product.  They ask for comments from their customers and their
emphasis is on producing quality software rather than making a big
profit.  It's very encouraging to find a company with this
orientation.

Now, about the game...

Spaceward Ho! is the best strategy game I've seen.  The rules are
fairly simple yet there are many different strategies you can pursue.
The object is to take over as much of the galaxy as possible, while
competing against one or more computer players.  You can also play
against other human players over the network.  You have to allocate
your resources to building spaceships (various types) and advancing
your technology.  As your technology improves you can build better
spaceships.  Here are some of the strategic decisions you need to
make, bearing in mind that your strategy must change as the game
develops:

  * Do you want to build spaceships sooner or wait until you have
    better technology?

  * What emphasis do you put on the five technologies: range, speed,
    weapons, shields, and miniturization?

  * Spread out to colonize more planets, or concentrate on defending
    the planets you have?

  * Do you want to maximize your income, your resources, your
    spaceships, or your planets?

You have to explore the planets in the galaxy until you find some that
are habitable.  Use your income to make a planet more habitable, or
use it to extract resources from the planet and to build more
spaceships.  Remember to conserve your resources because towards the
end of the game they become scarce.

The game information is displayed in one big window and about four
smaller windows so that you can display everything at the same time if
you have a large monitor.  Otherwise you can display only those
windows you are interested in.  There is also a help window which
gives you information about the item your cursor is pointing to.  I
could go on but I'll save my breath and keep reading this newsgroup
for more comments about Spaceward Ho!

For more information contact:
	Delta Tao Software		(408) 730-9336
	760 Harvard Ave.
	Sunnyvale, CA 94087

Ben Beecher		beecher@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Network Planning	212-854-7439
Columbia University

pdubois@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Paul DuBois) (02/05/91)

In article <3175@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>In article <63185@brunix.UUCP> cem@cs.brown.edu (Charles E. Moylan) writes:
>|  Recently I picked up a copy of a game called "Spaceward Ho!" from a
>|tiny company called Delta Tao.  It is one of the best Mac games I've
>|ever played.
>
>So how can I get ahold of Delta Tao?  Where is the game available?  How much?

And how does it compare against, say, Reach for the Stars?  They sound like
fairly similar games, but I find that RFTS is mainly just tedious.

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (02/06/91)

I called Delta Tao last week and they said they'd ship my copy after
they fixed a major bug that affected playability.  They said it would
go out this week.  Anyone encountered this bug?

jas

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (02/06/91)

>I called Delta Tao last week and they said they'd ship my copy after
>they fixed a major bug that affected playability.  They said it would
>go out this week.  Anyone encountered this bug?

Versions up to 1.03 have what is called the "negative money bug". If during
a game of Spaceward Ho! you hoard a lot of metal and then later start spending
that money on a highly miniaturized ship (one which needs very little metal)
such that the ratio of stored metal to ship metal cost is big enough, your
metal will go to zero the next turn and then your money will go very negative-
which will cause most/all of your planets to die.

This has been fixed in 1.1, which became available this morning. All registered
1.0-1.03 users will receive a free update sometime in the next two weeks.

--

miyake@cs.purdue.EDU (Keith Miyake) (02/06/91)

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) writes:

 >Versions up to 1.03 have what is called the "negative money bug". If during
 >a game of Spaceward Ho! you hoard a lot of metal and then later start spending
 >that money on a highly miniaturized ship (one which needs very little metal)
 >such that the ratio of stored metal to ship metal cost is big enough, your
 >metal will go to zero the next turn and then your money will go very negative-
 >which will cause most/all of your planets to die.

There was another constraint on the order that the ship is only partially
built at the end of the turn, which made the bug hard to reproduce.

Happened to me the very first 'full' game I played.

Keith
--
miyake@cs.purdue.edu

arw@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Paul Hanson) (02/18/91)

I just received Spaceward Ho! from Delta Tao.  I would just like to mention once
again on the net what a wonderful game this is.  If you like strategy type
games (war strategy) then I highly recommend this game.  It is very simple to
play (although I don't think it is simple to win).  It can easily be played
by many human and/or computer players, and you don't need a network to do it.
Each turn is considered to be done simultaneously, and if there are more than
1 human players playing the game, and the end of a players turn, it will
switch to the next player (and ask for a player name and password).  This is
important, because it is important that the other player NOT know where you
are in the galaxy.  Anyway... I just wanted to reiterate what a wonderful game
this is.

ONE MORE THING:  Please... this is not intented to start any sort of piracy
discussion of any type, but please... Delta Tao seems to be a very find
company... not only did they send an invoice with the game (I have not even
paid them for it yet... got it on a saturday), but they also point out that they
will upgrade me to the newer versions for FREE!!!  Their software is reasonably
priced and very very professionally written... please do not steal their
software... it is only hurting the mac games market.

Paul

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (02/21/91)

In article <6096@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> arw@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Paul Hanson) writes:
>I just received Spaceward Ho! from Delta Tao.  I would just like to mention once
>again on the net what a wonderful game this is.  If you like strategy type
>games (war strategy) then I highly recommend this game.  It is very simple to
>play (although I don't think it is simple to win).  It can easily be played
>by many human and/or computer players, and you don't need a network to do it.

Better yet -- I usually play against the computer since I'm not on a network
but occasionally, my roommate and I will play against each other.  Unlike
other network games which will require you to buy multiple copies,
Spaceward Ho! doesn't force you to do this.  It really is a very well-done
game, runs flawlessly under 7.0 (Ok, so I have found one bug which I
reported...), and is reasonably priced.  (Mac's Place, $35)

My only complaint?  My hand-painted box wasn't signed by the author.  ;-)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET:kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
                        | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,
                        | your opinions are yours.  Simple, isn't it?

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (02/22/91)

Spaceward Ho! is not copy-protected, because Delta Tao Software thinks
copy protection is just a pain in the rear to have to deal with. This does not
mean that it is freely copyable; it is a licensed game. If you are playing
Spaceward Ho! on a network, you need to buy one copy of the game for every
computer that has it, like every other software package I know of.

--
Peter Commons
commons@cs.stanford.edu
Computer Science Department, Stanford University

bose@milton.u.washington.edu (Dr. Insane) (04/05/91)

For those of you who are interested in playing spaceward Ho over the network
please reply to this message.  I want to get one of two people to join a game
so we can do one move per day or something like that.  Using the net-mail
to send back and forth the datafiles.  This might sound boring or complicated.
But it is the only way if you want to play with a human being.  Please reply.

  -From one of the Insanes.

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (04/30/91)

   Has anyone here been playing SpacewardHo! as much as I have lately?  This
game has got to be one of the best Mac games out recently.  The manual is
informative and amusing.  The game is beyond StratConq... has more to it, and
is much more addicting!  What's cool is I simply called the company to get
info about it and they sent me out a copy... with the bill.  No Visa, no COD,
just an invoice for $35+tax.
   If you like strategy games, you have to try SpacewardHo!  The number to get
info is 408-730-9336... Delta Tao Software.
   A bunch of my friends and I have been playing 6 and 7 people multi-player
games with this thing.  Warning:  Don't start a game unless you want to be
glued to it for 8-10 hours!

--
+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Real Life: Mark F. Murphy         | What kinda beer do you like?           |

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr30.165829.7798@dhw68k.cts.com> mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) writes:

>   Has anyone here been playing SpacewardHo! as much as I have lately?  This
>game has got to be one of the best Mac games out recently.  The manual is

Funny you should ask.  I agree whole-heartedly, hence the reason I
wrote a TidBITS review of it.  The only problem I have with it is
that I don't have enough time to play it.  Work tends to interfere.
C'est la vie, I guess.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
                        | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,
                        | your opinions are yours.  Simple, isn't it?

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (05/21/91)

I'm thinking about buying this game. Can someone tell me:

 1. Does it run under System 7?

 2. Does it use color?

 3. General plot synopsis? I know it has to with colonization of planets.

 4. Copy protected?

 Thanks much, and e-mail is fine.

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

6600stro@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Hannibal Lecter) (05/21/91)

In article <4900@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> 1. Does it run under System 7?

I do not know at this current time.

> 2. Does it use color?

Yes, it does use color, it also works fine in Black and White.

> 3. General plot synopsis? I know it has to with colonization of planets.

The Basic point of the game, is to take over as many planets as
you can by colonizing the planets nearby, and also to terraform
the planets into a profitable position to further exploration into
space.  Of course, there are a few things that might hinder you.
For instance, money wise, you will have to allocate some funds to
make ships, and to mine for metals needed for ships, and to spend
money on the Technology you need to use for expansion, like speed,
range, mini (Miniturization of technology to reduce the use of
metals) and the weapons and shields to defend yourself against the
computer and the other players who wish to do harm upon yourself.
The game is a timed-based system, where you can control the time
ranging from when you end a turn to waiting until possibly next
week to next month for the next turn.  If you are a teacher, it
would be an idea game to have when dealing with simulations.

> 4. Copy protected?

As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be any form of Copy
Protection on it.

Hannibal "The Cannibal" Lecter
6600stro@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Disclaimer: This, of course, is an Alias, and if Hannibal Lecter
truly existed in real life, he would be a little smarter than to
leave his name on a Public (Semi-Public) Network, announcing his
escape from the Asylum...

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (05/21/91)

Just wanted to add that Spaceward Ho! works very well under System 7.0. It's
not 7.0 aware, but it has no difficulty with System 7.0. File sharing is
also a very good way to play Multi-player games on Spaceward Ho! in System
7.0; part of the manual talks about how to do so.

--
Peter Commons
commons@cs.stanford.edu
Computer Science Department, Stanford University

c60a-jd@amazon.Berkeley.EDU (Demian) (05/21/91)

Spaceward Ho! is an awesome game similar in a way to Strategic Conquest.  It does run under 7.0, and ranges from 1-bit to 8-bit colors (not sure about higher bits).  Very addictive game.

jstudaru@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Studaroo) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.064540.22907@neon.Stanford.EDU>, commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) writes:
> Just wanted to add that Spaceward Ho! works very well under System 7.0. It's
> not 7.0 aware, but it has no difficulty with System 7.0. File sharing is
> also a very good way to play Multi-player games on Spaceward Ho! in System
> 7.0; part of the manual talks about how to do so.

	Spaceward Ho! is not completely compatible with 7.0  I've had the
program quit several times on me with either a type '1' or type '3' error.
The program will then dump me in the Finder.

	Anyone else had this happen to them?  I'm running Spaceward Ho!
version 1.1.2 on a 5 meg si.

> --
> Peter Commons
> commons@cs.stanford.edu
> Computer Science Department, Stanford University

	Thanks,

		-John
		jstudaru@ucsd.edu

(Bill Gibson) (05/22/91)

In article <19621@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, jstudaru@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Studaroo) writes:

> In article <1991May21.064540.22907@neon.Stanford.EDU>, commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) writes:
> > Just wanted to add that Spaceward Ho! works very well under System 7.0. It's
> > not 7.0 aware, but it has no difficulty with System 7.0. File sharing is
> > also a very good way to play Multi-player games on Spaceward Ho! in System
> > 7.0; part of the manual talks about how to do so.
> >

> 	Spaceward Ho! is not completely compatible with 7.0  I've had the
> program quit several times on me with either a type '1' or type '3' error.
> The program will then dump me in the Finder.
>
> 	Anyone else had this happen to them?  I'm running Spaceward Ho!
> version 1.1.2 on a 5 meg si.
>

> > --
> > Peter Commons
> > commons@cs.stanford.edu
> > Computer Science Department, Stanford University
>
> 	Thanks,
>
> 		-John
> 		jstudaru@ucsd.edu

Try giving Spaceward Ho some more memory...  the recommended size is 750k, but
I find that it runs much better with 1Mb.

Hyyaaa!

Bill Gibson
AIS Interface Guru

"My opinions are mine, nobody else wants them."

dbferry@cs.washington.edu (Doug Ferry) (05/22/91)

I too have had a crash with spaceward ho! but not under system 7.
I'm running system 6.05 on a 4 meg IIfx,
the crash I had is that it unexpectedly quit in the middle of a
HUGE battle.
I had 70+ ships of weapons factor ~14 against the computer's 100+
ships of weapons/shields ~16 and about 1/3 into the battle... crash!

btw, when I later recovered the game I found out I lost the battle
and didn't destroy a single computer ship. I think it's the sign of
a deeper problem.

oh, I forgot to mention that this is Spaceward Ho! v.1.1.2

                      ) """ (
                       (Q Q)           Doug Ferry
   Don't spook        (  |  )            U of W
    the horse!         \ A /      Computer Engineering
                       (___)

jerome@sampan (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong - 57875) (05/22/91)

In article <19621@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> jstudaru@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Studaroo) writes:

     [stuff deleted]

>program quit several times on me with either a type '1' or type '3' error.
>The program will then dump me in the Finder.

I've got this problem in system 6.0.7 too. Somehow I don't think it's a
System problem, more like an application problem.

Running under 6.0.7, 5 Megs SI without Maths Co-processor.

Anyone else?!

.Chaos
Running 7.0 now!

conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) (05/22/91)

In article <2517@winnie.fit.edu>, jerome@sampan (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong - 57875) writes:
> In article <19621@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> jstudaru@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Studaroo) writes:
>
> >program quit several times on me with either a type '1' or type '3' error.
> >The program will then dump me in the Finder.
>
> I've got this problem in system 6.0.7 too. Somehow I don't think it's a
> System problem, more like an application problem.
>
> Running under 6.0.7, 5 Megs SI without Maths Co-processor.

I had a crash on a IIci running 6.0.4.  It also was during a HUGE battle
against a hi-tech planet.  Every time I run from the file, it crashes at the
"Battle Stage".  It is a repeatable error, and I have the file to prove it.

I think I'll be doing some calls to Delta Tao...

P.S.  Other than that, this is the most addictive Mac game I've ever played
(after Seahaven Towers...  :-))
--
			    E n r i q u e  C o n t y
			  The Amazing Man-With-No-Life

dth@reef.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.155128.3768@cbnewsl.att.com> conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) writes:

>P.S.  Other than that, this is the most addictive Mac game I've ever played
>(after Seahaven Towers...  :-))

I agree....I've been playing this game for the past week (and getting
darn little sleep ;) ).

I'm playing against the computer right now; the game moves pretty fast,
but after a certain point it seems like the computer opponents seem to
"lose interest" and thereafter it's kind of simple to win the game.  Of
course, I've only gone against 2 computer opponents in the "expert"
mode...

It would be a MUCH more exciting game to play against a human opponent.
Which brings up another question (one that I pretty much already know
the answer to):  Is there any way to play over the net?  The only way I
could conceive of is to do a move, then FTP the whole galaxy to an
opponent and let them do their move, then FTP it back; repeat above...

Is this possible, or feasible?  I'd be interested in trying...

Dave
Dave Hightower		|    opinion? I'm allowed to have an opinion?
dth@cis.ufl.edu		| well, if I DID have one, it'd be mine, all mine!

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (05/23/91)

>I had a crash on a IIci running 6.0.4.  It also was during a HUGE battle
>against a hi-tech planet.  Every time I run from the file, it crashes at the
>"Battle Stage".  It is a repeatable error, and I have the file to prove it.
>
>I think I'll be doing some calls to Delta Tao...

Spaceward Ho! can get confused during very large battles, especially when
it isn't given a lot of memory (it allocates a record for every ship in the
battle). This can lead to problems late in the game as mini-tech levels
go way up and people have tons of money to use it. Most of the time, giving
Spaceward Ho! more memory & restarting it will fix the problem; not always.
Unfortunately you can't anticipate everything a user will do when you create
a new game.

A future version of Spaceward Ho! (August??) may not have these problems.
Sorry about the inconveniences.

--
Peter Commons
commons@cs.stanford.edu
Computer Science Department, Stanford University

hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu (Stephen Haase) (05/23/91)

Well, I've been playing Spaceward Ho! for a few weeks and have had relatively
few problems with it on my IIci running system 7.0fc2 and then system 7.0.
There were a few minor interface bugs such as numbers being to large for the
area they are in. The only time I had any real problems was when I was trying
to max the games out to see what the point was that they stopped drawing new
ships. Well I ran a macro overnight and by morning I had all of my levels in
the mid 80's(They stop some of the pictures in the mid 20's some in the mid 30's
and weapons at 43, I think...Its been awhile so I dont remember the exact #'s.)
But anyways, I tried to build a ship that had all of its stats in the 80's and
it was going to cost -2701e18 dollard to build..guess they had a problem with
overflow eh? Well, I tried to build it and it sucked up all of my money, and
bankrupted all of my planets..ack. I was playing with the largest possible area
and had colonized all profitable planets. So much for that game....
Steve
hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu
.

plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) (05/23/91)

In article <11454@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600stro@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Hannibal Lecter) writes:

>> 1. Does it run under System 7?

RUns great under system 7.  Haven't had a single problem with it.

--
Jack Brown
aka plague@milton.u.washington.edu

moore@tc.fluke.COM (Matt Moore) (05/24/91)

 Has anyone succeeded in beating the "Ingenious" computer players? If so,
how did you do it?

 Peter Commons was nice enough to tell me that the "Ingenious" computer
players pay less money and metal than a human would for the smae ships.
I've found that they build huge fleets I can't do anything about.

						Matt Moore
						John Fluke Mfg. Co.

hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu (Stephen Haase) (05/24/91)

I've beat the 10 computer players at ingenious level, but it took me a long
time. I think I finished at about turn 7000.
Steve
hasses@prism.cs.orst.edu

vergis@cs.umn.edu (Anastasios Vergis) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May23.233744.13508@tc.fluke.COM> moore@tc.fluke.COM (Matt Moore) writes:

> Has anyone succeeded in beating the "Ingenious" computer players? If so,
>how did you do it?
>
> Peter Commons was nice enough to tell me that the "Ingenious" computer
>players pay less money and metal than a human would for the smae ships.
>I've found that they build huge fleets I can't do anything about.
>
>						Matt Moore
>						John Fluke Mfg. Co.

Well, I bought Spaceward Ho! 3 weeks ago. I haven't lost a game since.
I started with 2 "normal" computer players, then 4 "clever"
and I am now close to winning my 2nd game against 8 "ingenious"!
(By the way, it froze once against 10 "ingenious", but fortunately
only after 10 turns or so -- the file disappeared).
The game almost seems too easy already.
Here's my strategy:

1) Expand - expand-expand!
Don't worry too much about tech initially. (Actually, I was behind in tech
-about 3nd- in the last two games almost till the end.)
Expand.
Get ahead in number of stars and income early in the game. (the idea
being, if you have the money, you can always make tech later).
Get an early start in number of stars!
In the first few turns,
terraform almost as many planets as your income allows (do not colonize
stars which are expensive to terrafprm, leave them for later).

2) In expanding, get the unoccupied planets! Do not insist on attacking,
as this is too costly. Also, you are going to lose some planets.
Do not try to recupture them (initially!). Instead spend your money
to expand. (Its much-much easier to expand through vacuum).
What you can do after losing a planet is boost the defences of your
nearby stars.

2') Quite early in the game ( after 10-20 owned stars), you must be
expanding in at least 3 directions. This means at least 3 colony ships.
It is a good idea to wait for range tech 8-12 before building your
next colony ship. So invest more on range (and speed secondarily) than
on weapons (initially!).
Later on, invest nothing on these! (range 13 or so is enough).

3) In expanding, you may leave alone stars which are "behind" your line
of occupied stars. You can always conquer them later. It's better
to conquer now stars which are onoccupied, before somebody else takes
them, as it's much cheaper to defend them than to attack them!

4) In expanding, you will have to conquer unprofitable planets,
just in order to advance. Do that. You will be rewarded later
as some juicy planets will surely lie ahead.
Abandon them after building a sat.
If you can afford it, strip-metal them first, especially if
they are close to the enemy.
(Do not strip-metal planets behind your lines, leave them in reserve for
later, they will always be available!)

4') In playing the "ring" galaxy, I went "through" the local clusters
by simply jumping to unoccupied stars at the periphery of the enemy cluster.
I was in all clusters but two when I started to "really" attack!.
In expanding, I met serious opposition in one of them (2 clusters away from my
home cluster), in which case I abandoned expansion in this direction
and concentrated in the other. Defended the "border" with
this player like hell though! Many an expensive ship did he lose to my
lowly sats!

5) You will be able to attack quite late in the game,
after the expansion phase, or should I say frenzy! ("small" attacks
at about tech 12 and 16 and the serious attack about tech 20-22).
Until your big attack, you will be a lot behind, almost last,
in ship power; this is fine-- you are investing in expansion!--
when you've got the money you'll show them!
Build tech for your attack.
Build a lot of ships (20-30) for your attack.
(You will still be behind in tech, like 2nd
or 3nd, that's fine! You are 1st in stars and 1st in income,
which means you've got the metal and you've got the money!)
Attack the weak player (tech at least 5 less that yours).
With all the exploring you have done before, you will know the general
area and tech of each player.
Do not lose more than 2-3 ships per attack.
Attack an area which can be used as shield to protect
owned stars (so you dont have to worry about defending them henceforh).
This means do not attack the "center", attack an area which shields
one of your "corners", and which has a short "border" with the strong
players.
By that time, of course, you will have colonies all over the galaxy!

The above are basically the same ideas I've found useful in Strategic
Conquest. (Expand through vacuum, attack after your expanding
phase, attack in strength!) I am winning about 90% against strength 15
in this game. That's why I am already a bit disappointed in Spaceward Ho!,
it seems I will never lose.
Great game though!

-- Anastasios Vergis

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (05/26/91)

In article <4900@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>I'm thinking about buying this game. Can someone tell me:
>
> 1. Does it run under System 7?

No problems here.

> 2. Does it use color?

Yes, but mainly as a visual cue.  It's not an integral part of the game.

> 3. General plot synopsis? I know it has to with colonization of planets.

Kill your oppenents, rule the galaxy.  For a more in-depth description,
check out the TidBITS review.

> 4. Copy protected?

Nope.

Ken

--

jstudaru@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Studaroo) (05/27/91)

In article <188@eclectic.COM>, kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) writes:
> In article <4900@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:
> >
> >I'm thinking about buying this game. Can someone tell me:
> >
> > 1. Does it run under System 7?
>
> No problems here.

	Actually there are a couple of problems with Spaceward Ho! &
7.0.  With larger games against many computer players Spaceward Ho!
will "quit unexpectedly" with an "error type 1" when running 7.0.  When
you reload the game it will warn you that "you have selected turn always
done" as though you've been wiped out.
	I've even had the program freeze on me once while updating the turn.
A forced quit wouldn't work get me out.  My only recourse was a reboot, which
wiped out the game.  The game I was apparently not written to disk
before I rebooted.

	But these problems haven't been enough to get me to stop
playing the game.  I recommend buying Spaceward Ho!  It's a very fun
and addictive game.  Just one recommendation, save the game every
once in a while, just in case something happens.

		-John
		jstudaru@ucsd.edu

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May22.155128.3768@cbnewsl.att.com> conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) writes:
>In article <2517@winnie.fit.edu>, jerome@sampan (Jerome Chan Yeow Heong - 57875) writes:
>> In article <19621@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> jstudaru@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Studaroo) writes:
>>
>> >program quit several times on me with either a type '1' or type '3' error.
>>
>> Running under 6.0.7, 5 Megs SI without Maths Co-processor.
>
>I had a crash on a IIci running 6.0.4.  It also was during a HUGE battle
>against a hi-tech planet.  Every time I run from the file, it crashes at the
>"Battle Stage".  It is a repeatable error, and I have the file to prove it.

   Try turing graphic battles off.  The group I play with every Thursday
decided to turn our graphic battles off when playing multi-player.  It
speeds the game up and doesn't keep the file open.

--
      Real Life: Mark F. Murphy     | What kinda beer do you like?
        The Net: mrx@dhw68k.cts.com | Heineken!?  Intercourse that doo-doo!!
The Desktop BBS: 714-491-1003       | Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!

6600stro@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Hannibal Lecter) (05/30/91)

You mentioned Multi-player games... Question, For multi-player
games, it is Networked or is it on one computer?  Also, if it is
networked, how do you get it to acknowledge multiplayer?

wilco@thebox.rain.com (Tom Jones) (06/04/91)

Someone asked a good question that didn't get answered. Is SPACEWARD HO
shareware or commercial? How could a guy lay his mitts on a copy? answer
soonest, please!

--
TheBox Public Access Xenix - Gresham OR
+1 503-669-7291  +1 503-669-7395

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (06/06/91)

>Someone asked a good question that didn't get answered. Is SPACEWARD HO
>shareware or commercial? How could a guy lay his mitts on a copy? answer
>soonest, please!

It is definitely not shareware. Call Delta Tao Software for a copy.
408-730-9336

--
Peter Commons
commons@cs.stanford.edu
Computer Science Department, Stanford University

jerome@ee.fit.edu (06/06/91)

Nova Bombs:
This cute little things would turn a system into spacedust.
Extremely expensive and resource consuming.

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/06/91)

In comp.sys.mac.games you write:

>Someone asked a good question that didn't get answered. Is SPACEWARD HO
>shareware or commercial? How could a guy lay his mitts on a copy? answer
>soonest, please!

Don't you guys and dolls ever read magazines? Spaceward Ho! and Strategic
Conquest has has 1/2 page adds from mail order companies like MacAvenue.
$35 a piece. SpHo is the best game - StratCon doesn't even touch the 5 player
version available for the Data General MV's!!!! And that's PD!!! Someone know
where I can get my hands on a little MV, say a MV/1000 or MV/2000, for free???

--
      /|  / Jan B. Andersen                        /^^^\     .----------------.
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/07/91)

I wrote:
>Conquest has has 1/2 page adds from mail order companies like MacAvenue.
							       ^^^^
Oops! Should have been Mac's Place. I picked up my package, including
the pop-corn, at the local post office (Denmark, Europe) only 6 days after
ordering. Great service!
--
      /|  / Jan B. Andersen                        /^^^\     .----------------.
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |
    /--|/   Postbox 260       DG-passer@ruc.dk     \ o / --> | with CLASS     |
`--'   '    DK-4000 Roskilde  Postmaster@ruc.dk --mm---mm--  `----------------'

chris@momenta.com (Chris Christensen) (06/07/91)

Another thing about Spaceward Ho that I am less fond of is the computer
controlled players that just sit on their planets and do nothing. I don't
find these players that interesting. I certainly have never lost to any of
these and it just makes the ned of the game more slow and tedious. I can
wait until I have enough strength from controlling the rest of the
galaxy until I can beat them with relative ease (and losts of CPU cycles
on a Mac Plus). If you want this kind of player it might be more interesting
if they were a little less predicatble. Maybe a sortee or too every once
in a while?