[comp.sys.mac.games] BOP

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (06/13/91)

In article <1533@bovina.cs.utexas.edu> ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:
>I have a few problems with BOP; for example:
>1) The Russian can ALWAYS take Iran with a military invasion on the 1st
>turn.  Real simple; and the US can't do anything about it.  Yeah, right.

I remember one game I played where I was able to prevent this.  I think I
sent troops into neighboring countries, sent aid to Iran, ans was very lucky.
I still lost the game though.  (It was a while ago.  I don't remember why.)

>2) The computer has this annoying tendency to nuke you over nothing.  I mean,
>really, like the Ruskies would really nuke us for sending 1000 troops to Kenya!

Yes, this is kind of true but one of Chris Crawford's main points is that
the Russians don't just nuke you and you just don't nuke them.  It's a
cooperative process.  Anytime some nuking occurs both parties are to blame.
The party getting nuked misread the other's intentions and didn't back down
when it should have.  Losing prestige is better than destroying the planet.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              America Online: LimUnltd
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (06/15/91)

In article <9167@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:
>In article <1533@bovina.cs.utexas.edu> ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:
>>I have a few problems with BOP; for example:

>>2) The computer has this annoying tendency to nuke you over nothing.  I mean,
>>really,like the Ruskies would really nuke us for sending 1000 troops to Kenya!

>Yes, this is kind of true but one of Chris Crawford's main points is that
>the Russians don't just nuke you and you just don't nuke them.  It's a
>cooperative process.  Anytime some nuking occurs both parties are to blame.
>The party getting nuked misread the other's intentions and didn't back down
>when it should have.  Losing prestige is better than destroying the planet.

But in reality; if we sent 1000 troops to Kenya, they'd object, we'd say
"piss off" or some such, and that would be that.  The would not nuke us
over something so trivial.  Now, if we put 500,000 troops in East Germany...

I mean, hell, when they invaded Afghanistan, we said "get out".  They said
"piss off"; we helped the rebels, but nuke them?  Not hardly.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

"Mad scientists HATE shopping for shoes!" -- Peaches