[comp.sys.mac.games] Spaceward Ho 2.0 Suggestions

arw@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Paul Hanson) (05/31/91)

First : following Peter's guidelines on what he would like to hear about :

1) Multi-player games - I think these are done very well.  I like the method of
   doing turns.  The only changes I would make, is in how things are processed
   at end of turn.  Most of the time, we have no problem, although occasionally
   when playing on a network, it does not register a turn being done (when
   selecting "End Turn".  The only solution is to close and reopen the game).

2) Message Passing... This is an interesting thought.  I would consider it more
   novelty, than a needed feature, but I like the idea.  I am not sure how I
   would implement this.  Perhaps have a menu option which is "Send Message".
   Then, be prompted by a dialog box which players to send the message to, and
   then finally type the message.  Have this message be put into the "messages"
   window of the other player at the start of the next turn.

3) Battles...
   i) Definitely add a retreat option (if fuel allows it)
  ii) Somewhat related to this, I think the option to "alter course" while in
      transit somewhere would be a good idea.  In other words, if I am halfway
      to "Hobbes" with my colony ship when "Hobbes" is taken over by the
      enemy, I would like to make my Colony ship turn around or divert to
      another star (once again, if fuel allows).

4) Other ideas... (Uh oh... a trekkie)...
   i) Cloaking - This would burn fuel at a rate of 1 or 2 units per turn, and
      would allow you to scout out a star, owned by the enemy, without the
      enemy knowing you were there.  This could let you find out what the
      enemies defenses are like.  Once the fuel ran out, so would the cloaking.
      Perhaps this could be another type of technology... the higher the level,
      the longer you can stay cloaked.  Or, perhaps the lower the level, the
      higher the chance of being discovered while you are cloaked.  Just a
      thought.

Just my opinions....

Paul

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (06/01/91)

You know, I've been playing this for almost six months now, and outside of
better and better computer oponent strategies, there's just not much I'd
add.

Three quick suggestions for the interface, however:

a)  If there was some way to better differentiate between unexplored and
    explored-but-not-inhabited non-colonized planets on a B&W screen, that
    would be a great help.  (I have a color screen now, so not a biggie for
    me.)

b)  When running through the Explored Planets list (which contains the
    vitals for every planet you know about), it would be nice to be able to
    double-click on the planet on the list, and have the map automatically
    "go to" (i.e., center) on that planet -- much like what the Fleet list
    is able to do.  (This isn't in 1.1 -- I haven't checked to see if it's
    contained in later revisions):

c)  If there were a shortcut to align the amount of money spent on a
    planet being terraformed with the "black bar" which shows the minimum
    money to be spent on the planet -- a one-stroke/click way to align them
    -- I'd love it.  Even better would be a way to put a planet's spending
    so that the budget for that planet stayed aligned with that bar as it
    shrank.

A great game which I've gotten many hours of pleasure from.  Whatever you
add, I'm sure the upgrade fee will be well worth it.  I look forward to
paying it!

                           "I hope the money men don't find out that I'd pay
                            them to let me do this."
                                           -- David Lean
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) (06/01/91)

I just read the post about setting percentage casualty retreat thresholds
for your fleets.  I think this would make retreats possible without changing
the basic flavor of the game and I wholeheartedly support this one.

--
Jack Brown
aka plague@milton.u.washington.edu

conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.170041.9305@tc.fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> b)  When running through the Explored Planets list (which contains the
>     vitals for every planet you know about), it would be nice to be able to
>     double-click on the planet on the list, and have the map automatically
>     "go to" (i.e., center) on that planet -- much like what the Fleet list
>     is able to do.  (This isn't in 1.1 -- I haven't checked to see if it's
>     contained in later revisions):

It isn't in 1.1.2, and it should be.

> c)  If there were a shortcut to align the amount of money spent on a
>     planet being terraformed with the "black bar" which shows the minimum
>     money to be spent on the planet -- a one-stroke/click way to align them
>     -- I'd love it.  Even better would be a way to put a planet's spending
>     so that the budget for that planet stayed aligned with that bar as it
>     shrank.

Yes!  Those "unspent ship money" bucks can add up to a big figure when you're
playing a big galaxy.  Aslo, you could add a "planet X is on the green" message
to the reports window.
--
			    E n r i q u e  C o n t y
			  The Amazing Man-With-No-Life

moore@tc.fluke.COM (Matt Moore) (06/01/91)

 A) Better and better computer opponents, of course.

 B) It would be nice to know, and be able to adjust, the discount that the
"Ingenious" computer opponents are given on the money and metal prices of
ships and research.

 C) Lack of retreat from battles is not a problem for me: it adds a major
element of uncertainty of the game, which is OK, because the game is all
about long range planning in the face of uncertainty.

 D) A battle report half way between the present brief report and the full
"Graphic Battles" would be nice. I find myself wanting to know how many
ships and satellites the enemy had, of each type. Also, its a pain to pore
over the pictures of ships in the "Create New Ship Type" dialogue looking
for pictures to match to figure out range and speed; putting in all 4 (or
even all 5) numbers about a ship would be nice. It would also be neat to
know if any colony ships were there, and if any were killed. Here is a for
instance battle report, which would show up in the reports window:

 "Your Fleet 7 destroyed at Diphda. You lasted two rounds. You had 3
(4/4/8/3) ships. You have 0 left. Player 4 had 6 (6/4/0/0) satellites; he
has at least 5 left. Player 4 had 1 (4/4/7/4) ship; he has at least 1
left."

 Or perhaps you could use a tabular format, for instance:

 "Your Fleet 7 destroyed at Diphda.
  The battle lasted two rounds.

 Your Ships	#in	#left
 (4/4/8/3)	3	0

 Enemy Ships	#in	#left
 (6/4/0/0)	6	5
 (4/4/7/4)	1	1"

 Colony ships could be indicated by square brackets instead of parens, or
some such convention.

 E) Just out of curiosity, what happens if fleets from two or more
different players arrive a yet another player's planet at the same time?
Do the invading fleets whomp each other first? Or do they cooperate to
whomp the defending fleet before fighting over the spoils? Or does each
fleet pick another one to blast at random? Or do they allocate their fire
equally over all the enemy fleets? Or proportionally? Or does the program
just crash?

 Maybe the easiest solution would be to treat this situation as a series of
individual arrivals, and two-player battles. Ownership of the planet might
change hands several times in the same turn.

 This situation has never arisen for me, but inquiring minds want to know.

						Matt Moore
						John Fluke Mfg. Co.

ericl@akbar.cac.washington.edu (Eric Lundquist) (06/01/91)

One main question that I've always had is what happens to all that
good scrap metal that results from a major fleet battle?  It'd be nice if
you could get 20-50% salvage value out of it.  Also, what happens to the
200,000 units of metal that player #1 (or whoever) has when they lose their
last planet?  You should be able to recover this.

It IS nice that SH is easy to learn, but it could have an easy and an
advanced setting...

I'd like two kinds of shields, an ablative armor like it currently is,
(that gets weaker during the course of the battle, and "sheilds" that
get fully recharged at the end of EACH ROUND, making ships with high
"shield" tech ratings fairly immune to wimpy weapon techs.

At least here on Earth, you can't just strip ALL the oil out in one fell
swoop, you can always get more oil out, it just gets more and more
expensive per barrel.  I'd like metal to be more like this.  Maybe don't
even tell us how much metal there is, just a unit cost to mine that goes
up at a rate determined by each planet.

How about a "terraforming" tech that makes it cheaper to terraform worlds?

Eric Lundquist
ericl@cac.washington.edu

vergis@cs.umn.edu (Anastasios Vergis) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.185759.24553@tc.fluke.COM> moore@tc.fluke.COM (Matt Moore) writes:

> A) Better and better computer opponents, of course.

YES!! Please allocate most of your efforts to this, it is well worth it.
Better graphics and stuff is just the icing on the cake.

> C) Lack of retreat from battles is not a problem for me: it adds a major
>element of uncertainty of the game, which is OK, because the game is all
>about long range planning in the face of uncertainty.

I agree. People who want to retreat from battles, should not forget that it
takes years to prepare a jump through hyperpace! If you really want
to find out about the enemy defences, well, send a small force there
first. This adds to the complexity of the game. Option to retreat
would make it much easier. There is also the question of how well
the computer opponents will use it.
Ditto for the "cloaking" option to allow you to "explore" the enemy
defences undetected (then it is only fair to allow "cloaking" for
the defennces as well!).
IF THE RETREAT OPTION IS IMPLEMENTED, LET IT BE JUST ANOTHER OPTION SET
AT STARTUP.

Finally, for all of us b&w macintosh users, it would be nice to mark the
unprofitable ("pink") planets with a * just before the planet name
in the budget window.

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.210354.18769@cs.umn.edu> vergis@cs.umn.edu (Anastasios Vergis) writes:
>In article <1991May31.185759.24553@tc.fluke.COM> moore@tc.fluke.COM (Matt Moore) writes:

>> C) Lack of retreat from battles is not a problem for me: it adds a major
>>element of uncertainty of the game, which is OK, because the game is all
>>about long range planning in the face of uncertainty.

>I agree. People who want to retreat from battles, should not forget that it
>takes years to prepare a jump through hyperpace! If you really want
>to find out about the enemy defences, well, send a small force there
>first. This adds to the complexity of the game. Option to retreat
>would make it much easier. There is also the question of how well
>the computer opponents will use it.

I don't agree.  Think about this; detection range is longer than effective
weapons range (by definition).  If my guys swoop in and see a huge fleet
coming out to meet them, I want the Admiral leading them (me) to be able to
decide to run away, much like in Reach for the Stars.  Of course, you can't
scout the system until you have eliminated all of the enemy, just like now.
I don't want to have to specify that my fleet will retreat after taking a
certain amount of damage; I don't want my fleet running if there is only 1
enemy ship left and I've lost 50%...besides, I'm a firm believer in letting the
being on the spot call the shots; that's what all of MY Admirals are trained
to do...

PLEASE speed up network games; I tried playing a 2 player 2 computer game
(50 planets) on a fairly large network that was empty (the lab was closed),
playing on Mac IIx's.  Slow as dry cement...

I'd also like to see protection for high valued ships; I'm not going to put
my only colony ship in the fleet in the battle line with the rest of the
ships; I don't care if it won't shoot as long as it stays safe.

What about retreats insystem, or what if both players agree not to fight?

In version 1.1, the money display could show a planet non-italicized (getting
enough money), but come up with the 'some red planets...are not receiving
enough money'.  Please fix this; better yet, let you set the amound above
the line for planets by typing it in.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

"Mad scientists HATE shopping for shoes!" -- Peaches

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson) (06/01/91)

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>    -- I'd love it.  Even better would be a way to put a planet's spending
>    so that the budget for that planet stayed aligned with that bar as it
>    shrank.

Yes!  This would be most helpful.  I often find myself with a planet that
has been terraformed and mined, off in a corner of the galaxy (or in the
very center of my area of control) where I don't care to build ships.  It
would be quite nice to have the amount of $$$ spent on that planet stay
exactly what is necessary to support it on each turn, shrinking to $0 as
the planet's need drops to $0.

Thanks for the opportunity to give suggestions on v2.0!

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \ AmericaOnline: ErikAJ

chris@momenta.com (Chris Christensen) (06/05/91)

I would generally agree with those who value playability over realiam. I think
that playability is one of the best aspects of Spaceward Ho and would hate to
lose that.

I also like some of the assumptions abput instant transport of metal, not
contacting fleets in transit, no retreats, no cloaking, etc for playability
reasons.

I liked the suggestions of:

indicating which planets have ships queued.
double click on explored planet list to see a planet
way to indicate quickly to spend the bare minimum on this planet !!
battle report that is quick, but has tabluar output of what ships were
 involved, destroyed, etc
mark unprofitable planets on budget list for b&w players
fancier battle graphics

Teraforming technology seems unnecessary as it is easy enough to teraform
later in the game and hard enough to begin with and technology would tend
to make it easier at the end and harder at the beginning.

Other possibilities:

how about getting some % of scrap metal for the winner of the battle?

tankers for refueling?

Some people suggested building a second more complex game on top of the
current easy to play one. That would be fine with me.

How about adding diplomacy with non player characters?
	"let's attack player 1"
	"player 2 is going to attack you"
	"let's be makea neutral zone"
	"can I trade you some metal for those fancy engines?"
	"got any used ships I could buy"

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun1.100822.1968@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson) writes:
>Yes!  This would be most helpful.  I often find myself with a planet that
>has been terraformed and mined, off in a corner of the galaxy (or in the
>very center of my area of control) where I don't care to build ships.  It
>would be quite nice to have the amount of $$$ spent on that planet stay
>exactly what is necessary to support it on each turn, shrinking to $0 as
>the planet's need drops to $0.

This reminds me of a related feature.  Sometimes I'll have a colony that
is now self-sufficient.  All of the sudden, it will go into the red
one turn.  SH will alert me in the status windoid, but sometimes
I'm just ending turns rapidly waiting for a colony to finish building
a ship or somesuch other task.  In the fund allocation chart it would
be nice if such a colony that's suddenly gone into the red would
be added (when you're only viewing a partial list).  That way it's
a more visual cue...

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
                        | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,
                        | your opinions are yours.  Simple, isn't it?

cfranz@iiic.ethz.ch (Christian Steffen Ove Franz) (06/06/91)

I just had another idea:
how about the possibility of CAPTURING ships during combat? That way, a
player can
  a) catch up on technology and
  b) have some profits (metal) out of a battle

and what do you think about espionage? But then again, people start complaining
that SpW Ho! is getting (or might be) too complex...

well, just my 2 c$.
christian.
Christian S. O. Franz                 |                   cfranz@iiic.ethz.ch
ETH Zuerich, Swizerland               |                     vismgr@rz.ethz.ch

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/06/91)

Could we have, say, the current planet blinking in the Galaxy window? I often
d-click on the planet name in the Report window, e.g. when a fleet has been
built that should go to some other planet, and I have to look very hard to
find it on the map. Similar when d-cliking in the Budget window.

Also, viewing battles is very, very fast on a IIsi. I often has to see it
3-4 times to understand why my ships were destroyed.
--
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |

6600bwg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Barney W. Greinke) (06/15/91)

I definitely agree with the notion