[comp.sys.mac.games] New MS Flight Sim!

robg@Apple.COM (Rob Griffiths) (05/14/91)

Well, this is NOT official Apple, nor official Microsoft, but I got
this from a fellow Apple employee attending the developer's conference.

(Actually, I stole it from rec.aviation, where it was posted by
a fellow Apple employee ;-)

A new version of MicroSoft flight simulator is definitely coming for the Mac.
Bill Gates demoed as part of a keynote address at Apple's World Wide Developers
conference! He demoed flight simulator cooperating with Excel spreadsheet. A
flight plan was stored in an Excel spreadsheet and then communicated through
the edition manager to flight simulator. Pretty Hot!

Finally.  I'll be able to work on a quasi-real simulator again!  Sorry,
no word yet on availability or pricing.  But I hope to find out more
sometime this week!

-rob.

--
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| R. Griffiths         | "Those who make peaceful resolution impossible     |

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (05/16/91)

In article <52839@apple.Apple.COM> robg@Apple.COM (Rob Griffiths) writes:
> Well, this is NOT official Apple, nor official Microsoft, but I got
> this from a fellow Apple employee attending the developer's conference.
> [...]
> A new version of MicroSoft flight simulator is definitely coming for the
Mac.
> Bill Gates demoed as part of a keynote address at Apple's World Wide
Developers
> conference! He demoed flight simulator cooperating with Excel
spreadsheet. A
> flight plan was stored in an Excel spreadsheet and then communicated
through
> the edition manager to flight simulator. Pretty Hot!

I was there, I saw the demo. It looked good - and it was in color, too. A
small nit - the communication was not through the Edition Manager, but
through Apple Events. (I know, you don't care. :-)

> Sorry, no word yet on availability or pricing.

Me either - but I'm looking forward to finding out.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

robg@Apple.COM (Rob Griffiths) (05/16/91)

In article <13507@goofy.Apple.COM> rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:

>I was there, I saw the demo. It looked good - and it was in color, too. A
>small nit - the communication was not through the Edition Manager, but
>through Apple Events. (I know, you don't care. :-)

Hey!  I was quoting a quote -- I wouldn't know an Apple event from the
Main event! ;-)

>> Sorry, no word yet on availability or pricing.
>
>Me either - but I'm looking forward to finding out.

OK, here's a little more detail.  Working through our source, Deep Throat,
internal to MicroSoft, here's what I've been able to find out:

	"We will be showing an updated version of Microsoft Flight
	Simulator for the Macintosh Monday at Apple's System 7.0
	announcement. Since we haven't updated the product for
	over five years, and anticipation is very high, you may
	get some questions.

	All we are saying publically is that the product will be
	shipping this summer and that more details will be forthcoming.
	From the demo, it will be very clear that it now runs in
	color, has a standard Mac interface and also runs on all of
	them. Feel free to pass this info on to anyone who asks. [EDITOR'S
        NOTE:  So much for the Deep Throat stuff!]  As we get closer
	to ship time, more details will be available."

Not much better than nothing, but at least it's official.  This will
probably be the final spur to get me started on the IFR rating!  Unofficial
practice at home!

-rob.
--
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| R. Griffiths         | "Those who make peaceful resolution impossible     |
| Apple Computer, Inc. |  will make violent revolution inevitable"  JFK     |
|----------------------|                                                    |
| PP-ASEL(Glider soon) | "Of course you realize this means war!" Bugs Bunny |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

jo0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared M. Oberhaus) (06/03/91)

I'm really excited about MS Flight Simulator in color, but what I really
want is a new version of Falcon. Spectrum HoloByte did one hell of a job
creating Falcon back in 1987 (and earlier), but it hasn't been updated
since then. (They did follow the rules though-it works with System 7!)
Falcon AT for those icky PCs has been out for a while, so they know how
to do color.
If anyone from Spectrum HoloByte is listening, I'll be the first to buy
a full screen color verson of Falcon!

conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) (06/04/91)

In article <AcGHSzC00Uh_A5T7cd@andrew.cmu.edu>, jo0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared M. Oberhaus) writes:
> I'm really excited about MS Flight Simulator in color, but what I really
> want is a new version of Falcon. Spectrum HoloByte did one hell of a job
> creating Falcon back in 1987 (and earlier), but it hasn't been updated
> since then. (They did follow the rules though-it works with System 7!)
> Falcon AT for those icky PCs has been out for a while, so they know how
> to do color.
> If anyone from Spectrum HoloByte is listening, I'll be the first to buy
> a full screen color verson of Falcon!

Good news for you.  Sunday at the Summer CES I got news that Spectrum Holobyte
is going to release Falcon 3.0 for the Mac, sometime next year (I also got
a Falcon 3.0 glass mug :-)).  They will have a color version, :-) 16 colors
most likely.  :-(

In other news...

Koei's Nobunaga's Ambition will be out for the Mac.  I believe Romance of the
Three Kingdoms is already out.

Interplay is going to release a color Mac version of BattleChess, as a CD-ROM!
The B&W version is already out.

I didn't see anyone from Maxis, but I saw a magazine preview of something
called "Sim Ants".  Yup, an ant colony in the Sim <blank> tradition!!

360 claims they're going to release a new version of Harpoon with bug fixes.
"Patriot" is a new game by Harpoon designer Frank Chadwick, this time focusing
on ground warfare.  It comes with a Gulf War battleset (natch).
360 had another Mac strategy game.  It looked like a chess variant, with
figures carrying spears, crossbows and T.O.W. missiles.

Origin is releasing NO new games for the Mac.  :-( :-(  Wing Commander II
looks AWESOME!

Colonel (formerly Major) Bill Stealey of Microprose told me about the Mac
release or Command HQ.  This should be old news to Mac owners of Railroad
Tycoon, though.  :-)  BTW, Microprose is getting into arcade (as in coin-op)
games, with a couple of impressive 3-D first-person simulators (F15 Strike
Eagle and B.O.T.S., a BattleTech clone (you should have seen the faces of the
FASA ESP people!!).
--
			    E n r i q u e  C o n t y
			  The Amazing Man-With-No-Life

ric@netcom.COM (Richard Bretscheider) (06/15/91)

The.Conty@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (The Conty) writes:

>In article <AcGHSzC00Uh_A5T7cd@andrew.cmu.edu>, jo0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jared M.
>Oberhaus) writes:

>Koei's Nobunaga's Ambition will be out for the Mac.  I believe Romance of the
>Three Kingdoms is already out.

It's "Bandit Kings of Ancient China" that's already out.

>I didn't see anyone from Maxis, but I saw a magazine preview of something
>called "Sim Ants".  Yup, an ant colony in the Sim <blank> tradition!!

I always thought Sim City was the ant farm. :-)

--

"If you're not going to kill me, I've got things to do."
Ric Bretschneider