[comp.sys.mac.games] Looking for Colossal Cave

zulauf@orbit.Colorado.EDU (Mike Zulauf) (06/19/91)

Hi all.  This is my first ever posting, so please excuse any blunders.
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a version of Colossal Cave
(the original Adventure game) for the mac.  By this I mean either the
source code, or an executable application.  I believe the game is in
the public domain, but I'm not sure.  Please respond via the net or by
e-mail directly to me (zulauf@orbit.Colorado.EDU).

Thanks in advance!
                    Mike

WXG7@psuvm.psu.edu (06/19/91)

I have been addicted to the original Adventure since I cound a copy of it
about eight years ago for my Apple II +, and I've always missed it on my
Mac. Somehow the more sophisticated games and graphics never gave me as much
pleasure so I was surprised to see it mentioned in Online magazine last year
as a file that could be downloaded from Compuserve. I can't remember where
it was or what the filename is, but you should be able to track it down. All
I have now is the game itself. It was translated and distributed by
     James Associates
     7329 Meadow Ct.
     Boulder, CO 80301
I sent them the $10 fee they asked for (in the promise of uploading more
similar software) and they promptly sent me a map of the cave so I could
remember how to do the whole thing once more. If you can't find the file
on line or don't get on Compuserve, try contacting them directly.

s57783@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (chapman alan) (06/19/91)

zulauf@orbit.Colorado.EDU (Mike Zulauf) writes:

>Hi all.  This is my first ever posting, so please excuse any blunders.
>I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a version of Colossal Cave
>(the original Adventure game) for the mac.  By this I mean either the
>source code, or an executable application.  I believe the game is in
>the public domain, but I'm not sure.  Please respond via the net or by
>e-mail directly to me (zulauf@orbit.Colorado.EDU).

>Thanks in advance!
>                    Mike

It is available in FORTRAN source code form from an Australian site

suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au

in the directory pub/Sources/Games/Adventure

and is called advent.tar.Z

there are also some GIF format maps called gif_maps.tar

Alan Chapman, Tutor, School of Info. Tech.| email : s57783@zeus.usq.edu.au
UCSQ, Toowoomba QLD 4350, Australia.      | "IBM's and me just don't agree"

laberge@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/20/91)