[comp.sys.mac.games] Flight simulator software for MACs

henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com (06/18/91)

Howdy,

I am looking for a good flight simulator for the Macintosh, and was told that
the Microsoft one is pretty nice. However, the employee at the local Egghead
store told me that it doesn't work on the SE/30 (the package lists
compatibility with the plain SE). Then again, I've heard them telling so many
stories before I can't trust him much.

Has anyone actually tried this combination of software/hardware?

Thanks,
--
Javier Henderson
Engineering Services

henderson@hamavnet.com
{simpact,asylum,elroy,dhw68k}!hamavnet!henderson

frye@cerl.uiuc.edu (G. David Frye) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun17.170817.62@esvax.hamavnet.com> henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com writes:
>I am looking for a good flight simulator for the Macintosh, and was told that
>the Microsoft one is pretty nice. However, the employee at the local Egghead
>store told me that it doesn't work on the SE/30 (the package lists
>compatibility with the plain SE). Then again, I've heard them telling so many
>stories before I can't trust him much.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0 for Macintosh is in beta test.  Don't get
the earlier version -- it's brain-damaged beyond redemption.  Wait for the
real thing.

G. David Frye

bjanell@intvax2.cs.sandia.gov (Benjamin J. Anello (RE/SPEC)) (06/20/91)

From article <1991Jun18.230218.12917@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by frye@cerl.uiuc.edu (G. David Frye):
> In article <1991Jun17.170817.62@esvax.hamavnet.com> henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com writes:
>>I am looking for a good flight simulator for the Macintosh, and was told that
>>the Microsoft one is pretty nice. However, the employee at the local Egghead
>>store told me that it doesn't work on the SE/30 (the package lists
>>compatibility with the plain SE). Then again, I've heard them telling so many
>>stories before I can't trust him much.
>
> Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0 for Macintosh is in beta test.  Don't get
> the earlier version -- it's brain-damaged beyond redemption.  Wait for the
> real thing.
>
> G. David Frye

Anyone have an idea when 4.0 will be out on the mac? (Rumors, hard
facts, guesses, crystal ball reading????)

B. Anello

captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivan Cavero Belaunde) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.235021.25866@intvax2.cs.sandia.gov> bjanell@intvax2.cs.sandia.gov (Benjamin J. Anello (RE/SPEC)) writes:
>From article <1991Jun18.230218.12917@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by frye@cerl.uiuc.edu (G. David Frye):
>> In article <1991Jun17.170817.62@esvax.hamavnet.com> henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com writes:
>>>I am looking for a good flight simulator for the Macintosh, and was told that
>>>the Microsoft one is pretty nice. However, the employee at the local Egghead
>>>store told me that it doesn't work on the SE/30 (the package lists
>>>compatibility with the plain SE). Then again, I've heard them telling so many
>>>stories before I can't trust him much.
>>
>> Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0 for Macintosh is in beta test.  Don't get
>> the earlier version -- it's brain-damaged beyond redemption.  Wait for the
>> real thing.
>Anyone have an idea when 4.0 will be out on the mac? (Rumors, hard
>facts, guesses, crystal ball reading????)

At the System 7 intro, Bill Gates ended his demo of Sys7-studly MS apps
(Word and Excel) by demoing the new Flight Simulator (in color! yay!) and
controlling it from an Excel spreadsheet via AppleEvents. Sure it was
silly,  but it was a fun demo.

Anyhow, I seem to remember that he said it'd ship this Summer (that might
very well mean by the end of August, however... ;-)

-Ivan Cavero Belaunde
Digital Video Applications (DiVA) Corp.
Internet: captkidd@ATHENA.MIT.EDU