[comp.sys.mac.games] Harpoon battlesets and Color Harpoon

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) (06/22/91)

do the additional battlesets for harpoon work with color harpoon or do you have
to get special color versions of the battlesets?

--
thomas willett
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta

seiffert@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (06/23/91)

In article <31668@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS
CARTER) writes:
>do the additional battlesets for harpoon work with color harpoon or do you
have
>to get special color versions of the battlesets?
>

>--
>thomas willett
>Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta
>gt4586c@prism.gatech.edu
>"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin (Foundation)

You have to get new battle sets. You can order them from the company for about
10$ more after you buy the black & white, or order the color version direct
from them (plus shipping & handling). Price works out about the same either
way.

The color version of Harpoon comes with the color version of GUIK.

The scenario editor is compatible with both the color and B&W versions.

This is the info I got from the company when I ordered the color version.

Kurt A. Seiffert
Indiana University

warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) (06/23/91)

Kurt A. Seiffert writes:
>>You have to get new battle sets. You can order them from the company for about
>>10$ more after you buy the black & white, or order the color version direct
>>from them (plus shipping & handling). Price works out about the same either
>>way.

Boy, if you ask me (and no one ever does, so I'll just say it anyway)
Three-Sixty is being too greedy.  I payed ~$40 for the original
Harpoon, then another $15 for the color version.  NOW I have to
pay $10/battle set to get color.  For a $20 battle set that brings
it up to $30 for color - I could buy an entirely different game for
that much.  Come on, the original $15 extra should have entitled me
to color battle sets without having to pay extra.  It looks like
I'll be playing everything but GUIK in B&W.

**  Robert Warden                         warden@grad1.cis.upenn.edu    **
**  University of Pennsylvania                  @gradient.cis.upenn.edu **
**                                                                      **
** "Even a broken clock tells the time correctly twice a day"           **
**                                            - Withnail & I            **

cbn@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (06/24/91)

In article <45043@netnews.upenn.edu> warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) writes:
>Boy, if you ask me (and no one ever does, so I'll just say it anyway)
>Three-Sixty is being too greedy.  I payed ~$40 for the original
>Harpoon, then another $15 for the color version.  NOW I have to
>pay $10/battle set to get color.

Was it mentioned in an earlier posting that the scenario editor allowed
creation of both BW and Color battle sets? If this is the case, then what
is so hard about designing a color battle set?  Choosing colors?!?  Isn't
it the same battle set, just with color?  I should just get the scenario
editor and colorize all the BW scenarios!

p.s. - ignore this if I'm wrong about the editor being BW/Color compat.

rob
--
Robert S. Unoki
cbn@mace.cc.purdue.edu

Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) (06/24/91)

In article <31668@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:
>do the additional battlesets for harpoon work with color harpoon or do you have
>to get special color versions of the battlesets?
You have to get special color versions of the battlesets.

Warning! Opinions follow!!!

I hereby join the growing number of Harpoon users who find 360 too greedy for
their own good. When I bought Harpoon last december, I was initally very happy
with the realism and overlooked the horrible user interface. I especially
looked foreward to the color version and cheap battlesets to renew my
interest.

I had hoped that they would bring the color version closer to the Mac
model. Well, I waited 5 months to recieve a color version which loses even
more of it's Mac interface. The movable window has dissapeared, and instead of
being able to see more of the maps, I get the same views somewhat enlarged.
On the positive side, the range circles are now Much more usable, but I don't
think that this alone justifies the additional price. I appreciate the color
ship views, but I view them as just sugar coating, as they don't really add
anything to the tactics of the game.

I'd just bought the MED battleset when my color harpoon copy came in. If I
have to BUY a color version once again, I'll use my B/W version while I can
stand it, let the color version mold away, and eventually stop using Harpoon
altogether. This is really a shame for a game that held such promise...

Pat
--

| Patrick Hayes                 |  EMail :  Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr  |