[comp.sys.mac.games] Bane of the Cosmic Forge

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (12/11/90)

   I've had Bane of the Cosmic Forge: A New Wizardry Gaming System on order
from MacWarehouse since Oct. 30.  Has anybody out there been able to get the
game anywhere else?  I'm getting tired of waiting and I'm ready to look
elsewhere and pay more.

   Since I am waiting, does anyone know what I'm going to get?  I'm interested
in the similarity to the old series (I play all of them on my Apple) and any
imrovements that have been made to take advantage of the Macs abilities.

   Thanks for any information you have.

Jon Pace

pdubois@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Paul DuBois) (02/20/91)

  In advertisements I've seen for Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge they
state that it is available for the Macintosh.  Has anybody seen it anywhere
yet or is it currently just more vaporware?  (and is it in color or B&W?)

pdubois@ocf.berkeley.edu

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (02/21/91)

   Bane of the Cosmic Forge is vaporware!!!  I ordered it from MacWarehouse
on October 30 and have been on backorder from then on.  It seems the game has
been delayed in testing at Sir-Tech.  The newest expected release date I have
been fed is March 8.

   Oh yes, it's in color.

Jon

Nicholas_Brooker@kcbbs.gen.nz (Nicholas Brooker) (02/23/91)

further to that.  What Wizardry games are available for the mac?  I
used to play them on the Apple // and though only the first was on the
Mac.

careyk@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carey Kinoshita) (02/26/91)

In article <4bm0uWC00WB8M6S1dy@andrew.cmu.edu> jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) writes:

>   Right now you can only get Wizardry I and II for the Mac.  There has been
>a write in campaign trying to get the III, IV & V scenarios released.  If
>you'd like to see that, please drop Sir-Tech a line.
>
>   Sir-Tech Software
>   P.O. Box 245
>   Ogdensburg, NY 13669
>   (315) 393-6633

Someone should start a write in campaign to Origin System to get them to
release the new Ultima games for the Macintosh and that runs in true
Macintosh color (not color translated from IBMs).

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (04/06/91)

Hey, after all this talk about Wizardry and the ninja's.  Is "Bane of the Cosmic Forge" out for the Mac?  Is it Wizardry V?  If anyone's got it, how does it
compare with the other wizardy's?  My favorite has been the first one.  I've
solved the second and played some of the third.  But they were rather disappoint-ing compared to the first.  Well, any comments will be welcomed.  Thanks.

Jaxon.

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (04/06/91)

   No, it's not out.  Sir-Tech says another month.

   It's not Wizardry V either.  Sir-Tech doesn't even call it a Wazardry game
series.  It's just advertised as "Wizardry-like".  If you have access to
another system (like an old Apple IIe) go out and get Wizardry IV & V.  They
were both very good scenarios, at least on the Apple.

Jon

rogue@gagme.chi.il.us (rogue) (04/13/91)

To all those who don't know, Bane of the Cosmic Forge is finally available
from MacWarehouse.  I just got my copy yesterday.  I haven't played yet,
but I can say that it is much more extensive on player stats.  There are
more character classes, better spells and many other things which make it
appear to be great.

By the way, you better have a hard disk for it.  It came on 6 diskettes.

jfe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/13/91)

I read from somewhere that the Bane of Cosmic Forge requires *3* megs to run
in colour.  Is it true?  Or did someone made a typo and wrote 3 megs instead
of 2 megs?

|        T. H. Brian Chung                |                                   |
|        Tens of math credits             |     "So in my small way,          |
|        Hundreds of physics credits      |      I'm a big man on Mulberry    |
|        And an attitude...               |      Street."                     |
|                                         |                                   |
|        jfe@cornella (bitnet)            |                  Billy Joel       |
|        in%"jfe@vax5.cit.cornell.edu"    |                                   |
|         (internet)                      |     "Let's see what's out there." |
|                                         |                                   |
|                                         |             Jean-Luc Picard       |

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (04/14/91)

   It depends on what you call memory.  Bane requires 1800k FREE memory to run
in color.  Add in system memory and your system needs >3Mb to run it.  I know
that's not a legal memory configuration, but with the new computers having
screwy configurations, I thought I'd let everyone round up on their particular
system.  Sorry if I confused the subject.

Jon

rogue@gagme.chi.il.us (John Doe) (04/14/91)

Argh!

I hate this game.  I hate the interface, the cheap graphics, the sounds
which I can't turn down (or off), and the manual.
The interface is bothersome, if not downright annoying or insulting.
I would have preferred a 5 megabyte game with the true MacIntosh feel,
not the CGA graphics and 4 bit color.  Obviously, they never saw
Quarterstaff.  How hard could it be to make it "nice" on the Mac?  They
must have spent more time making it look and feel like an IBM then it
would have taken them to do it the right way.

I am really disappointed.  I don't mind that it was inexpensive, but I
do mind that IBM atmosphere.  If anyone from Sir-Tech is reading this,
let me suggest this:  if you make a more Mac like version, even if it
takes up more disk space and memory.  Even if you might have to remove
some of the character classes and professions.  Even if the cost would
be doubled.  I would not hesitate to pay more for it.

I might even return the game to MacWarehouse just because of the
interface.  Anyone else considering doing the same?

I had a problem starting the game and I need some help.
I did everything the manual said (I think).  I create a party, I then
wanted to play.  I'm assuming that once you have a party, you hit exit
to get to the restore saved game screen.  I hit restore save game, type
the correct words for the symbols, then it gives me a disk error.  What
am I doing wrong?
--
rogue

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (04/15/91)

Before anyone suggests such a thing, I had *absolutely* nothing to do with
Sir-Tech's latest Mac release, "Bane of the Cosmic Forge," apart from giving
them my opinion that the interface was...troublesome.
--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (04/16/91)

A quick question about this game.  I heard that you needed the first Wizardry
to play this???  Is this true?  Do I have to go out and get the first one
in order to play this?  I had a IBM version of Wizardry I, and I gave it away
after having solved it many times over.  I am considering buying Bane of the
Cosmic Forge and was told by the operator at MacWarehouse that I needed the
first one.  Is this true?

Jaxon.

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (04/16/91)

  I'll back Terry Monks up on this one.  I played Wiz II and II after he ported
them to the Mac and he did a VERY GOOD JOB.  Why they didn't use him for this
game I'll never know.  Terry, if you read this, you can tell S-T that they
really f***ed the game up on the Mac.  Great game, lousy interface.

Jon Pace

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (04/16/91)

so Terry -- who DID have something to do with the port (I see a
megabyte of mail coming here...)

...they call me...     	ARPA: es2q@andrew.cmu.edu  / "I didn't say it.
     fluppie?		BBS:  (412) 683-1235	  /  Nobody saw me type it.
			Fido: 129/107		 /  They can't prove anything."

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (04/16/91)

   They LIE!  Bane of the Cosmic Forge stands alone.  Oh how I wish I could do
a character transfer.

Jon

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (04/16/91)

In article <kc2V7qq00VoE03hFNv@andrew.cmu.edu>, es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) writes:
> so Terry -- who DID have something to do with the port (I see a
> megabyte of mail coming here...)

The program was not really ported. Since the base version was for a 68000 machine (Amiga) all
they did was to find the video buffer and stuff in their graphics. Hence the problems with
resolution and 24-bit boards. I understand there will be a fix for the 24-bit boards within
three weeks.

The author, David Bradley, called me a couple of times to complain about Apple and the
"Macintosh way," and we had several nonsensical conversations about "video modes"
missing on the Mac, and the non-utility of MultiFinder. Those who are interested in
ResEditing the new progam will find to their possible amazement that there are no
resources apart from CODE and the SIZE resource that I suggested he added.

As I have said elsewhere, the game has excellent content, if you are not troubled by its
non-Mac aspect. It is quite understandable that they decided to produce a Mac version with t
the absolute minimum effort and cost. And, after all, it works.

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

s8105119@ipc10.tmc.edu (Gary Kevin MAKIN) (04/17/91)

In article <868@adimail.UUCP> tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) writes:
>It is quite understandable that they decided to produce a Mac version with
>the absolute minimum effort and cost. And, after all, it works.

I really cannot agree with the philosophy behind the idea of doing a quick port.
Many games (epsecially role playing and strategy games) really benefit from
having a good Macintosh user interface in place. The game becomes far more
accessable, and more enjoyable, and would be more likely to be recommended by
word of mouth, IMHO.

Once the Mac game market reaches critical level, this will become important. I
expect that the games that have been developed properly for the Mac will outsell
those that were ported cheaply, and sales is the name of the game after all.

This is the state of the productivity software market for the Mac, after all.

A better situation for everyone would be if the game designers considered the Mac
version right from the start. Then the improvements to the user interface that
would be implemented on the Mac, can be put on all machines (to a degree,
antway).

Gary Makin
Mac programmer for Strategic Studies Group

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (04/18/91)

From article <868@adimail.UUCP>, by tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks):
> In article <kc2V7qq00VoE03hFNv@andrew.cmu.edu>, es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) writes:
>> so Terry -- who DID have something to do with the port (I see a
>> megabyte of mail coming here...)
>
> The program was not really ported. Since the base version was for a 68000 machine (Amiga) all
> they did was to find the video buffer and stuff in their graphics. Hence the problems with
> resolution and 24-bit boards. I understand there will be a fix for the 24-bit boards within
> three weeks.
>
> The author, David Bradley, called me a couple of times to complain about Apple and the
> "Macintosh way," and we had several nonsensical conversations about "video modes"
> missing on the Mac, and the non-utility of MultiFinder. Those who are interested in
> ResEditing the new progam will find to their possible amazement that there are no
> resources apart from CODE and the SIZE resource that I suggested he added.
>
> As I have said elsewhere, the game has excellent content, if you are not troubled by its
> non-Mac aspect. It is quite understandable that they decided to produce a Mac version with t
> the absolute minimum effort and cost. And, after all, it works.
>

> --
> Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

I have no reason to take exception with Terry most of the time, but the above cannot go
without appropriate response.  Terry, first of all, IT DOES NOT WORK!  Not on an fx, and
not with a 24-bit board.  At least they warn you about the 24-bi board on the package.
As you know, it really is not very much work to convert the graphics to PICT format and
the display software to use Quickdraw to display them.  This is probably the minimum that
it would take to gain campatibility.  Ratherthan go through the arguments twice tho,
I'm including the text of a letter that I'm sending to Sir-tech today.

April 17, 1991

Sir-tech Software, Inc.
Ogdensburg Business Center, Suite 2E
P.O. Box 245
Ogdensburg, NY  13669
Attention: Product Development

Dear Sir or Madam:

It is with great disappointment that I write this letter.  I have been a Sir-tech customer
since my purchase of the original Wizardry 1.0 for the Macintosh when it was first released
(I believe in 1985).  Since that time I have had a lot of respect for your company
based largely upon the quality of the software and the care with which it was ported to
the Macintosh platform from its original Apple II version.

It was therefore quite a shock to discover your latest offering to the Macintosh market,
BANE OF THE COSMIC FORGE.  It was with much anticipation that I awaited this work upon
learning of it from your direct mailing, especially in light of the many hours of enjoyment
I had from Wizardry.  When I first received the package I eagerly installed it onto
my Mac II fx, undaunted by the fact that the application showed only the generic application
icon.  This should have been my first clue.  As you are undoubtedly aware, the
program will not run on a II fx.  It will not run with a 24-bit video board.  From reading
the manual and comments I have since read on USENET, it appears that it doesn't even
come close to following the Macintosh user interface guidelines.  In short it is nothing
more than a blatant attempt to rip off your loyal Macintosh customer base with a ridiculously
minimal effort.

I understand that the Mac market is not a large percentage of the entire market.  It
therefore makes sense that you would not want to add an exorbitant amount of time to
the conversion of the game for minimal return.  However we are not talking monumental
effort here.  By storing your graphics data in standard (and compressed I might add)
PICT format, and using the built-in Quickdraw routines for rendering them to a window
(or offscreen bitmap...) you would have added less than one week to the development
time, and assured compatibility across all Macintosh display systems.  If display
speed were an issue (which would not seem to be the case in this game), a little more effort
would have allowed custom routines to work at high speed when the monitor was
set to the appropriate bit-depth (witness SOLARIAN - a shareware game - by Ben Haller).
As for insuring that the program works on all Macintosh platforms as claimed in your
documentation - this can only be attributed to pure sloppiness or blatant misrepresentation.
Again, the effort necessary to make this product work on the fx is probably measurable
in weeks, not months.  Failing a willingness to even make this effort, your advertisements
and packaging should indicate the incompatibility with the fx instead of
claiming "Mac Plus or better".

Realizing that this game is a conversion, I am more than willing to accept non-Mac
graphics.  I would even accept (although not without some remorse) a non-Mac interface
if it worked properly (such as in POOL OF RADIANCE).  But selling a product that simply
does not work is inexcusable.

Foisting this product off on the Mac community can only serve to greatly diminish your
company's reputation - a reputation that was previously unblemished.  This is precisely
the type of product that separates legitimate software houses from the "fly-by-night"
and "no warranties on quality expressed or implied" types.  I'm afraid that you have
made a dangerous step in the wrong direction with BANE OF THE COSMIC FORGE. Whoever
made the decision to release this product has made a very grave error, and I would
think that leaving him or her in a position to make other such decisions that can so adversely
affect the reputation of your company should be seriously reconsidered.  I have
been in the video game business for over twelve years. As such I have had to deal with
bad conversion of my software by others in that time.  I am always deeply affronted by
people and companies willing to sell vastly sub-standard software in order to make a
quick buck.  I am amazed that D.W. Bradley, if he had any say-so at all, allowed this
product to go to market as is.

While I would welcome the opportunity to purchase and play any reasonable version of
this game, I am returning this program to the place of purchase along with a copy of
this letter.  It is really too bad that a product that has the potential that this one does is
so miserably executed.  I am also posting a copy of this letter to USENET in order to
warn other potential customers.  I would recommend that a public apology is in order.
I have never, in all my years in computers and game design, ever felt that I had to speak
out on a product in this fashion.  It is most regrettable to me that I feel that I must do so
now but I can only characterize the decision to market this product in its current state as
a "money-grubbing at any cost" attitude, with no concern for the consumer.

Sincerely,

Ed Rotberg
 	Designer of Atari Baseball, BattleZone, Snake Pit, Blasteroids, STUN Runner, Shuuz,
 	and others

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (04/18/91)

I ordered it last week, before I saw the reviews here on the net.
It's even worse than I was led to believe.  I'd return it, but
MacConnection doesn't have a return policy for Sir-Tech stuff.

The interface is grotesque.  All the "pixels" are actually 2x2 on the
Mac screen.  It uses no Mac interface elements whatsoever.  This
doesn't even qualify as medicore.

Folks, don't settle for this.  I hope that instead of buying the game,
you write a letter to Sir-Tech explaining that you will not buy such
shoddy products.  I'll certainly be writing a letter.  Perhaps they'll
get the picture.

Charles Allen                           Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics                   HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
Purdue University                       Bitnet:   cca@fnal.bitnet
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1396          talknet:  317/494-9776

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (04/19/91)

Yah, but I did say that *I* had nothing to do with it. All your comments are
interesting and I am extremely glad that you sent that letter to Sir-Tech.
Apart from that, that's all the biting of hands that once fed me that I want
to do at this stage...
--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (04/23/91)

In article <1232@dms.UUCP> rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) writes:
> [letter to Sir-Tech stating how they had become money-grubbing
>  pigs who release cheap software, deleted...]

Bravo!

Now if everyone who purchased the game would do the same thing,
maybe they'd do a decent job next time.  (Or possibly just not
do it...)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com

In article <7252@mace.cc.purdue.edu> nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
>I ordered it last week, before I saw the reviews here on the net.
>It's even worse than I was led to believe.  I'd return it, but
>MacConnection doesn't have a return policy for Sir-Tech stuff.

Tell them you have a 24-bit board and that it doesn't work on your
system.  I'm sure they'd make no fuss to taking it back.
MacConnection is a wonderful company.

Ken

--

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (04/26/91)

< kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) writes:
> Tell them you have a 24-bit board and that it doesn't work on your
> system.  I'm sure they'd make no fuss to taking it back.
> MacConnection is a wonderful company.

That would be dishonest.  It *does* work on my system, it's just that
the game itself is crappy.  I see no reason why MacConnection should
have to pay for my mistake.  They've given me excellent service over
the years, why should I try to cheat them in return?

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Everett Mullis) (04/29/91)

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:

>< <nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
>> >I ordered it last week, before I saw the reviews here on the net.
>> >It's even worse than I was led to believe.  I'd return it, but
>> >MacConnection doesn't have a return policy for Sir-Tech stuff.

>< kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) writes:
>> Tell them you have a 24-bit board and that it doesn't work on your
>> system.  I'm sure they'd make no fuss to taking it back.
>> MacConnection is a wonderful company.

>That would be dishonest.  It *does* work on my system, it's just that
>the game itself is crappy.  I see no reason why MacConnection should
>have to pay for my mistake.  They've given me excellent service over
>the years, why should I try to cheat them in return?

Give me a break.  They sold you something crappy.  Get your money back.
_Dishonest_????

Do you think for one second that they're going to write in
they're MacConnection ads:

"Buy Bane of the Cosmic Forge!  Yes, it's been near unanimously
 condemned by all lovers of the Mac interface, but it's got
 some neat stuff in it also!"

Hell no.

The only way to get the message to these people is to hit them
financially.  Do yourself and the Macintosh community a favor,
and return the game.

----I thought about aborting this reply because it's probably
get a lot of arguments, but then again, that's a reason
not to abort it. :-)

--
Russo, Chris A.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastcr

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (05/01/91)

In article <27558@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Everett Mullis) writes:
>nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
>>< kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) writes:
>>> Tell them you have a 24-bit board and that it doesn't work on your
>>> system.  I'm sure they'd make no fuss to taking it back.
>>> MacConnection is a wonderful company.
>
>>That would be dishonest.  It *does* work on my system, it's just that
>>the game itself is crappy.  I see no reason why MacConnection should

That's true, it would be.  My guess is if you called them up and
told them you were seriously disappointed with it and that you were
surprised that MacConnection would sell something of such a shoddy-quality
that they'd be happy to take it back as well.  MacConnection isn't
going to be out $35.  They either get credit from the manufacturer or
re-shrinkwrap it and resell it.  I still have no qualms telling them
otherwise, as the game is a shoddy piece of software and people are
buying it unaware.  If you wish to return it, try my second suggestion
and express your unhappiness and your lack of faith in buying from
MacConnection again... (while the first part isn't lying, the second
part might be stretching the truth, but what the heck...)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
Macintosh Consulting    | AOL: KHancock
                        | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,
                        | your opinions are yours.  Simple, isn't it?

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D.) (05/02/91)

Mac-Connection has a money-back guarantee on most of their items...
	-=Alan
   Who, me?  Nope, I didn't say that.  Must have been my evil twin
	   Who am I? aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu <Alan D.>
   Where am I? Brandeis University Box 3130 Waltham, MA 02254-9110
		   When am I? 9-5, M-F, Rain-Shine
		Why am I? Whaddyawant, a philosopher?

kanderso@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU (Kenneth Anderson) (06/11/91)

Are there any Bane of the Cosmic Forge players out there?  I posted a
question about the game on Sunday, and so far no one has replied.  Is
there really no one playing this game besides myself?

Just Wondering,

Ken Anderson

P.S. On a completely different subject, I just thought I would put in my
two cents about Delta Tao the company that sells SpaceWard Ho! After
reading all the comments about SpaceWard Ho! on the bboard, I decided to
buy it and check it out.  (That way I'll be notifed when version 2.0
comes out) The service was very friendly and I received my package in
the mail today!

kanderso@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU (Kenneth Anderson) (06/30/91)

Howdy, I'm stuck once again!

Minor spoilers ahead for people who have not made it past the castle or mountain

I have finished the pyramid, I killed Mau-Mu-Mu and found the other ruby.
I rushed back to the castle, put the ruby in the door and opened it. Went
downstairs and found the river.  Now what?!!!!!!

Some questions....

1.  There is a gate that I cannot open in the same hallway as the skull door.
    It is the first gate on the left as you head down the hallway towards the
    door. How do I open it?

2.  I have 3 copper keys, and 12 iron keys, but they don't open anything!
    Will I use these once I get past the river?  I also have another Key
    of Spades which doesn't open anything....

3.  There are two gates down in the Mines which I cannot open. These two are
    frustrating because you can clearly see a chest in the room beyond the
    gate!! Any clues as to how to open them?

4.  There is one tower in the castle which I have yet to visit. If you are in
    the room which has a fountain which restores stamina, to get to the tower
    that I am referring to, you go one step east, and then one step north.
    If you go up the stairs, you have to turn to your east and then you
    run into yet another gate.  Has anyone got past this one?

As you can see, I need help!

Any info would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Ken Anderson

P.S. Thanks for the help in solving the pyramid!