[comp.sys.mac.system] Turning Laserwriter driver to serial postcipt driver

ir648@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Chet Koblinsky) (05/05/90)

By many demands, I am posting following article.
From: Ray_Davison@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: More on serial line LaserWriter

A few issues back in Info-Mac, I gave a description of turning the
LaserWriter driver into a serial port PostScript driver. Since then
I have received a couple of messages, mostly asking for similar
updates for the version 6.0 driver (are you people never satisfied
I also recieved a hint on doing one thing differently (see below)

In light of that, I have applied the updates to version 6.0 of the
driver, and present the new formula below:

     Resource PDEF number 125
        (first always write to a RfileS)
          location        From      To
         v5.2   v6.0
         B96    C78     `57C0'    `51C0'
         B9A    C7C     `56C0'    `50C0'
         BA2    C84     `57C0'    `50C0'     (`51C0' for Laser Prep)
         BAA    C8C     `57C1'    `51C1'     (`50C1' for Laser Prep)
         BB8    C9A     `57C1'    `50C1'
        (the hint on doing this part differently was to modify resource
        DITL number -8191 to make the RDisk FileS box visible. The
        problem I had with this is that the box doesn't stay RtickedS
        between uses of the driver, so you have to retick the box each
        time. This didn't do me much good since I always want to send
        the print job to the serial port. Sf I am missing something, I
        hope someone will let me know.)

        (next don't create a file (still in resource PDEF/125))
            location          From         To
          v5.2    v6.0    V5.2    V6.0
         D96      E9E    '554F'  '558F'    `6038'

        (next, don't do _SetFOF)
            location          From        To
          v5.2    v6.0
          142C    1860       '660C'      '600C'

     Resource STR number -8191
        Change this from "PostScript" to ".BOut" for the printer port,
        or ".AOut" for the modem port.

     Resource STR number -8159
        Change to a useful message instead of "Creating PostScript File".
        For example "Sending print job to Unix".

     Resource PAPA number -8192
        Change the name of the printer if you want to.

  Ray Davison
  Simon Fraser university
  Ray_Davison@cc.sfu.ca

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I tried this hacked LaserWriter Driver and worked very well with
HP Laserprinter IIP with Data Pacific Postcript Catridge and
worked very well except speed of serial port is fixed to 9600.
Including Laser Prep does not work and I tried to mail to Ray
Davidson but his account is no longer there.
I like to hear what you have done.
Pacific data told me that Postcript catridge with Macdriver for HP
Laserprinters will be released next week.

John Lee ir648@sdcc6.ucsd.edu