[comp.sys.mac.system] How to use HeapFixer

hm0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (H. Scott Matthews) (05/03/90)

Recently there has been talk of using heap fixer to change the size of
the heap to allow better allocation of space for the various INITs, etc
that we use daily.

My question is:  how exactly do we decide how big to make the heap, and
how exactly do we change it with HeapFixer?

Any help would be appreciated.  PLease post AND respond to me.  Thanks.

scott

blood@aludra.usc.edu (Brian Blood) (05/07/90)

From blood Mon May  7 00:21:14 1990
To: /home/chaph9/blood/.article

How to use Heap Fixer 101
-------------------------

        Ok, listen close, I'm only going to say this once!

Decide whether you use MultiFinder more than you don't because for some reason
I haven't bothered to try and figure out when you goto MF from F, then system
heap changes, sometimes up, sometimes down.

Second, turn off your RAM cache and reboot. I will explain later.

Now run HeapFixer and get to the dialog box. It should say what the heap is set
to and how much is free. if it is not 25% of the total used then input a
number into the box that will add the appropriate memory to the heap to get 25%.
Lets say that it said the heap was currently at 300 and there was only 40K free
You would want to have the heap set to @ 60K more than normal. Then reboot.
Check the AtF box for the graph, does it look like 25% is free. Well run
HeapFixer anyway. and check what it says against what you saw in the Finder.
Adjust accordingly. The process is very simple it just takes a little playing
around with to get it right.

===>Why should I turn my RAM cache off?<==
Well when you have a RAM cache running it resides in the System heap. It is not
dynamic(i.e. doesn't change) it is tacked on the system heap. It is sometimes
confusing when you have the RAM cache running and you try and look at the graph
and you see that the system heap doesn't have 25% free when it actually does.
It is just simpler. After yusing HeapFixer you  can go back and RAM cache to
your heart's content, it doesn't affect the setting you were trying to make,
it just looks like it.

See the problem with system heaps and reason for using HeapFixer is that when
you use a lot of INITs, it keeps adding to the system heap, without maintaining
a good 25% buffer, not like it would if you ran noINITs anyway. HeapFixer just
helps you create a saftey buffer for the SH to grow into should it need it
even after loading all your INITs.

Any questions, call me!

+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/
Brian Blood             Univ. of Southern Cal. Underground Mac Dude
INTERNET: blood@usc.edu                 Business Hours: 20/24 daily
Disclaimer: 'Vuja De'--None of this has ever happened!
SnailMail: 333 Prestonwood DR #2506     AT&TLink: USC--(213)745-2760
           Richardson, TX 75081                   HomeSweetHome--(214)907-2943
'Pain don't hurt'-'Roadhouse'           'We don't need no stinkin' badges!'-BS
+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (05/08/90)

In an article of <2 May 90 21:37:43 GMT>, hm0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (H. Scott
Matthews) writes:

 HS>Recently there has been talk of using heap fixer to change the size of
 HS>the heap to allow better allocation of space for the various INITs, etc
 HS>that we use daily.
 HS>
 HS>My question is:  how exactly do we decide how big to make the heap, and
 HS>how exactly do we change it with HeapFixer?
 HS>
 HS>Any help would be appreciated.  PLease post AND respond to me.  Thanks.

Run HeapFixer and when it asks you how much more to add to the heap - type 64K.
Widgets tells you the current heap size and tells you also how much more it's
currently adding. Add the extra memory in small amounts until your problem(s)
go away.  Those of us who like to use a lot of INITs should be aware of quirky
problems which just seem to crop up now and then. These are signs that there
are occurring memory conflicts or collisions. These often start out as problems
when trying to print but can also be seen as occasional freezing of the mouse
and unexplained QUITS under MultiFinder.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org