[comp.sys.mac.system] Option key with MF 6.0.x?

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (05/02/90)

In <1990Apr30.161035.24652@ucselx.sdsu.edu>, purcell@sciences.tmc.edu
(Guy B. Purcell) says "As for having to scroll through tons of DAs to get
to MultiFinder app icons, try holding the Option key down before pulling
down the Apple menu.  This works with OS versions 6.0.3-5 at least."

What's this supposed to do? I just did a quick check with a copy
of the System 6.0.4 "Utilities 1" disk, and nothing seemed to happen.

On my hard disk, I have MultiFinder 6.1b9, which swaps the applications
and DAs in the apple menu, and lets you "hide" application layers in
various ways with the option key, but I don't think this is what Purcell
had in mind. Or is it?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Computer Services Dept                    fone: +64-71-562-889
University of Waikato                      fax: +64-71-384-066
Hamilton, New Zealand            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Drugs are for people who can't handle direct electrocortical stimulation.

mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (05/02/90)

In article <390.263f1587@waikato.ac.nz> ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>In <1990Apr30.161035.24652@ucselx.sdsu.edu>, purcell@sciences.tmc.edu
>(Guy B. Purcell) says "As for having to scroll through tons of DAs to get
>to MultiFinder app icons, try holding the Option key down before pulling
>down the Apple menu.  This works with OS versions 6.0.3-5 at least."
>
>What's this supposed to do?

  Rather than holding down the option key, try the shift key.

  Holding down the shift key prevents DAs or the About... option from being
displayed when the Apple menu is pulled down.  All that are left are the
application names and the "About MultiFinder..." choice.

  This is useful when one has a lot of DAs and several applications running
at once.

-- Mark Wilkins

peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu (Steve Peltz) (05/02/90)

In article <6854@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark
Wilkins) says to hold down the Option key before pulling down the Apple menu in
order to get a list of applications only, and in article
<390.263f1587@waikato.ac.nz> ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro,
Waikato University) says to try holding down the shift key instead.

Are you sure you guys aren't using something like the ApplicationMenu INIT
that was just recently posted to comp.binaries.mac? It allows you to select
a key to cause (almost) the described behavior.

Neither shift nor option do anything to change the Apple menu on my system
(running 6.0.5).
--
Steve Peltz P-ASEL C-G
Internet: peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu	PLATO/NovaNET: peltz/s/cerl

In article <1990May2.091620.4024@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu (Steve Peltz) writes:
>Are you sure you guys aren't using something like the ApplicationMenu INIT
>that was just recently posted to comp.binaries.mac? It allows you to select
>a key to cause (almost) the described behavior.

  Actually, I suspect that we were both using Suitcase II, which causes
EXACTLY the described behavior, and allows one to pick the command, option,
or shift key for that behavior.  Good thing we caught it before people
started posting saying "No, no, it's the command key which causes it." :-)

  Sorry for contributing to the mess.  Must have been the
grape-juice-and-coke I was drinking.

-- Mark Wilkins

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) (05/02/90)

SP> Are you sure you guys aren't using something like the
SP> ApplicationMenu INIT that was just recently posted to
SP> comp.binaries.mac? It allows you to select a key to cause (almost)
SP> the described behavior.

There are two situations being described:

 1) This person is using regular 6.0.x multifinder. When he normally goes to
    the apple menu, he'll find first the About info, then the DA's, and
    at the bottom of the list, the current applications.

    In this setup, if you press the option key, and then select the Apple
    menu, it will not list the DA's. The idea is that the applications will
    be right at the top instead of scrolling down to the bottom.

 2) This person is using system 6.0.x with Multifinder 6.1b9. When he selects
    the Apple menu, first will be then About info, then a feature called
    Set Aside, then the current programs, and lastly the DA's. I like this
    setup much better... it makes it much easier to change programs under
    multifinder.

    In this setup, if you press the option key, and then select the Apple
    menu, it will ONLY list the DA's... simply bypassing all the stuff at
    the top.

I really couldn't find any use for the shift key under multifinder 6.1b9.
And the Set Aside feature that I mentioned completely hides a program from the
desktop, yet will still continue its work in the background. This is an
excellent feature and really works well. (Multifinder 6.1b9 is available from
APDA.)

- Chris

 ._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
   Chris Silverberg                     AOL:   Silverberg
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      GEnie: C.Silverberg
   USENET:  macman@wpi.wpi.edu          SYSOP: Main Street U.S.A. BBS
   FIDONET: 322/575.1                          508.832.7725  (1200/2400)

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (05/03/90)

In article <12507@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) writes:
>I really couldn't find any use for the shift key under multifinder 6.1b9.
>And the Set Aside feature that I mentioned completely hides a program from the
>desktop, yet will still continue its work in the background. This is an
>excellent feature and really works well. (Multifinder 6.1b9 is available from
>APDA.)
>
>- Chris

Just to set the record straight:
MultiFinder v.6.1b9 is NOT available through APDA.

It is available the following two ways:
1)  It is included with the SADE product that IS sold through APDA.  SADE is
a source-level debugger for use with MPW.
2)  If you have access to AppleLink, you can find MultiFinder v.6.1b9 in
the Developer Services icon.

To repeat, MultiFinder v.6.1b9 is not orderable separately as a stand-alone
product from APDA.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu (The Wanderer) (05/03/90)

In article <8032@goofy.Apple.COM> rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) writes:
>Just to set the record straight:
>MultiFinder v.6.1b9 is NOT available through APDA.

     Okay, I'll bite: considering the number of "what-a-wonderful-product-
this-is" testimonials for 6.1b9 on the net, and the number of "where-can-I-
get-it" requests, why *isn't* it available from APDA?
     (Let me guess, System 7 is coming out next week, and you don't want us
all stuck with obsolete recently-purchased MultiFinders... :) )

--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.

dkletter@adobe.COM (Akbar & Jeff's SUPPORT GROUP for the vaguely dissatisfied) (05/06/90)

well, i'm running 6.0.5 and when i hold down the option key BEFORE i
click on the Apple Menu, it gives me a list of the ACTIVE applications--i.e.
it tells me what applications i have launched but not all the applications
i have on my system. this also happens with 6.0.4 on my machine at work.

later.--d

dkletter@adobe.COM (Akbar & Jeff's SUPPORT GROUP for the vaguely dissatisfied) (05/06/90)

whooops! i just poked around with this out of curiosity and discovered that
it is Suitcase II that's doing this. i guess this teaches me not to be so
'f' happy.

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (05/08/90)

In an article of <3 May 90 02:12:21 GMT>, phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu
(The Wanderer) writes:

 TW>In article <8032@goofy.Apple.COM> rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman)
 TW>writes:
 TW>>Just to set the record straight:
 TW>>MultiFinder v.6.1b9 is NOT available through APDA.
 TW>
 TW>     Okay, I'll bite: considering the number of
 TW>"what-a-wonderful-product-
 TW>this-is" testimonials for 6.1b9 on the net, and the number of
 TW>"where-can-I-
 TW>get-it" requests, why *isn't* it available from APDA?

Because it's only supposed to be available to us developers.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org