[comp.sys.mac.system] ATM, Type Reunion and TypeAlign

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (05/08/90)

In an article of <28 Apr 90 02:00:06 GMT>, shahn@hstbme.mit.edu (Samuel Hahn)
writes:

 SH>2) Type Reunion seems to enjoy life the most when it is in the middle
 SH>of a
 SH>long string of INITs that load up.  For instance, If I make it the
 SH>first INIT
 SH>or one of the first few, only about a total of five load up.  If I
 SH>place it
 SH>near the end, it deactivates itself ("X" through the icon).  I am
 SH>almost pos-
 SH>itive this is NOT a specific incompatibility with an INIT.

REUNION seems to be particularly fussy about the amount of memory available in
the system. Try increasing the heap size with WIDGETS by CE or some other like
program. Increase the size in 64K increments until the problem goes away. If
you look at "About the Finder ..." you will see that the system may have only a
little of its size grey - the rest will be black. You want about 20-25% free
area in the system for all your INITs, etc to work together. Beware that
increasing the heap size may make some older or sloppily written applications
fail to function.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (05/08/90)

[Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) writes:]

{{{...discussion about system heap deleted...}}}
[] Try increasing the heap size with WIDGETS by CE or some other like
[] ... Beware that
[] increasing the heap size may make some older or sloppily written
[] applications fail to function.

surely this isn't a blanket warning but instead intended for those
with low memory (let's say less than or equal to 2M). if the system
uses more memory that's proportionately less memory available to
applications. however that shouldn't be a problem on high memory
machines (let's say greater than or equal to 4M). right?

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu