[comp.sys.mac.system] Lost my applications!

ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) (05/07/90)

 Does anybody know how to fix this problem?  When I double-click on a
document, if its application is not on the root level of my hard drive,
it tells me it can't find the application, even though the application
is buried in the hard drive somewhere.  I'm running 6.0.4 with ADSP and
the Desktop Manager and various INIT's.  I'm pretty sure it's not the INIT's
because I've taken them out and I still have the problem.  Any ideas!!!

                                                 Thanks,
                                                   Brian Moore
                                                 (ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu)

JAH4@psuvm.psu.edu (JEFFREY A. HAMMAN) (05/08/90)

In article <2210@zipeecs.umich.edu>, ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) says:

> Does anybody know how to fix this problem?  When I double-click on a
>document, if its application is not on the root level of my hard drive,
>it tells me it can't find the application, even though the application
>is buried in the hard drive somewhere.  I'm running 6.0.4 with ADSP and

         Try rebuilding the desktop with Command-Option while
         booting up your system.  This usually helps with the
         housekeeping information that needs updated.

                                       Jeffrey A. Hamman
                                       Microcomputer Systems Consultant
                                       Pennsylvania State University
                                       jah4@psuvm.bitnet
                                       jah4@psuvm.psu.edu

hf07+@andrew.cmu.edu (Howard Haruo Fukuda) (05/08/90)

If you install Desktop Manager then you should reboot and then rebuild
the desktop by holding down the command and option keys before the
finder's menu bar appears.

-Howard

wichers@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (John Wichers) (05/08/90)

In article <YaFR7o600WBKI311pJ@andrew.cmu.edu> hf07+@andrew.cmu.edu (Howard Haruo Fukuda) writes:
>If you install Desktop Manager then you should reboot and then rebuild
>the desktop by holding down the command and option keys before the
>finder's menu bar appears.

Ok, but what I still would like to know is: what does the Desktop Manager
*do*? Other than create two more desktop files, that is. Does is speed
up the desktop? Does it automatically compress the desktop at system startup?
Maybe this sounds like a stupid question, but I want to know what it is
doing before I spend the time making sure it doesn't screw up the rest of
my inits...

--jjw

__
Hail to the sungod.   || John Wichers || wichers@husc4.harvard.edu
He sure is a fun god. || 121 Museum St #2, Somerville Ma. 02143
Ra! Ra! Ra!           || Anarchy - It's not a law, it's just a good idea.
|| Jesus saves sinners ... and redeems them for valuable cash prizes!!! ||

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (05/09/90)

In article <2843@husc6.harvard.edu> wichers@husc4.UUCP (John Wichers) writes:

>Ok, but what I still would like to know is: what does the Desktop Manager
>*do*? Other than create two more desktop files, that is. Does is speed
>up the desktop?

My understanding is that Desktop Mgr is an init from Apple that is
supposed to speed up the desktop.  My limited experience with it is
that the first time I open a folder containing many files, it is
slower, but after that it is quicker.  (I don't have a clear idea of
what constitutes the "first time"--the first time after exiting an
application, after rebooting, or just what.)  When opening a locked
floppy it is *really really* slow, and since the floppy is locked it
doesn't get any quicker.

Personally, I think the overall result is to make opening files and
disks somewhat slower on average and much more variable in speed.
I don't like it.

Others have already suggested rebuilding your desktop when you install
Desktop Mgr.  Just to be safe, I'd also rebuild the desktop when you
remove it.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (05/10/90)

In article <13834@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:

   Others have already suggested rebuilding your desktop when you install
   Desktop Mgr.  Just to be safe, I'd also rebuild the desktop when you
   remove it.

Yes, it's almost 'mandatory' that you do this if you want things
to work properly.  However, considering that you should probably
delete the Desktop file when you use DT Mgr., it'll automatically
rebuild itself when you are no longer using DTM.

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  | Reality is a function of the delusion factor
MB 3130/Brandeis University  | For those about to Rock, we salute you!
PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254 | Life's a beach & then you drown! Catch the Wave
753 South Street, " MA 02154 - Effective 9-1-90.  Rooms available for sub-let!

phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu (The Wanderer) (05/10/90)

In article <ALAND.90May9165240@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) writes:
>In article <13834@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>   Others have already suggested rebuilding your desktop when you install
>   Desktop Mgr.  Just to be safe, I'd also rebuild the desktop when you
>   remove it.
>Yes, it's almost 'mandatory' that you do this if you want things
>to work properly.  However, considering that you should probably
>delete the Desktop file when you use DT Mgr., it'll automatically
>rebuild itself when you are no longer using DTM.

     Removing the Desktop file will work, but there's one problem with this
approach: if you ever need to boot without DM (if your System file gets
trashed and you boot from the System Tools disk, for instance), you will have
to wait approximately 4.7 million years for the entire Desktop file to be
rebuilt.
     Here's an approach that I picked up from somewhere that works just fine:
     1. Install Desktop Manager, restart and rebuild the desktop, so that DM's
Desktop DB and Desktop DF files arecreated and set up.
     2. Initialize a blank floppy.  In addition to giving you a new place to
put things, this also produces a blank Desktop file.
     3. Using MacTools or something else that lets you copy invisible files,
move the floppy's Desktop file to your hard drive.
     This uses up almost no space on the hard drive, and if you ever need to
boot without DM, the system will only add the contents of open windows to the
Desktop file, not the contents of the entire hard drive.

--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.