[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7, Virtual Memory and 1MB SIMM prices...

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (05/25/90)

In article <7249@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:

>  The only systems which have the 32-bit memory manager are the Mac IIci and
>the Mac IIfx.  There is no existing upgrade path for the Macintosh II, IIx,
>IIcx, or SE/30.

Yes, and the SE's have a bug so the top floppy is slower than the bottom.
Just like the 24 bit mem managers in ROM in the older machines, this is fixed
in software.  Or I guess that really wasn't sys 7 I played with on that SE/30.
Or AUX (1.0, but still 32bit) on that IIx...

>  According to the System 7 Q&A information passed out at the 1989
>developer conference, this problem is being examined.  However, there has
>been no public announcement of any change.
>
>  Mr. Woodward:  Re-read the first section of the IM VI Memory Management
>chapter carefully and you will find that as of that writing only the IIci
>and IIfx were 32-bit capable.  The last modification date for the IM VI
>online edition was three weeks ago.  Therefore, it's probably still correct.

Unfortunately, I don't have a CDROM drive.  And IM VI is as big as the TN stack,
so I don't really see transferring it to my HD, which is full as it is...

>  You may be confusing that problem with the wiring problem which prevents
>some early Mac IIs to be used with a PMMU installed.  Users with that
>problem are, in fact, entitled to a free logic board upgrade.

My boss (service manager for the Texas Union Microcenter here at UT Austin,
which has just won some Apple service award or somesuch) has told me that
early Mac II's have ROMS that aren't compatable, and there is a FREE (I think
he said free) ROM upgrade.  Or you could just get an FDHD upgrade and get
the IIx ROMS...

And yes, that SE/30 mentioned earlier was using VM, for a total of 11MB
(not enough space on the disk partitioned for more...sigh)

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Death now has Extra Speed!