[comp.sys.mac.system] How do I twiddle the desktop?

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (05/25/90)

The resource you want to twiddle is the "APPL" resource. There is just
one of these, and it's a complete list of every file that the Finder
knows about that has its "bundle" bit set. Look for the entry with creator
code "MSWD", make a copy of it, and change the creator code in the copy to
"MACA".

That should be all you need to do.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Computer Services Dept                    fone: +64-71-562-889
University of Waikato                      fax: +64-71-384-066
Hamilton, New Zealand            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Disjoint sets of the world unite!

wiseman@Tellabs.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (05/26/90)

In article <1990May24.201856.8174@portia.Stanford.EDU> ralphm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Ralph Melton) writes:
>I want to tamper with the 'MACA' resource of my desktop file so that when I
>double-click on a MacWrite document (type 'WORD', creator 'MACA'), MS Word is
>launched (I don't have MacWrite.) I tried to do this by copying the contents
>of the 'MSWD' resource of the Desktop into the 'MACA' resource--it didn't work.
>
>Can anyone suggest what I can do?

If you are not using multifinder, you can use a thing called imposter. This is
a very small application that you assign the creator type (eg. MACA) that you
want and then pass it on to the application that you want.

If you then double click on a MACA document, the imposter starts and hands the
document name to Word (if you have so designated). I did this for several
different applications since I have MacWriteII and it has a whole mess of
translators that come with it.

But imposter doesn't work on multifinder for some reason. You might find a copy
on Compuserve.

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (05/26/90)

In article <1990May24.201856.8174@portia.Stanford.EDU> ralphm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Ralph Melton) writes:
>I want to tamper with the 'MACA' resource of my desktop file so that when I
>double-click on a MacWrite document (type 'WORD', creator 'MACA'), MS Word is
>launched (I don't have MacWrite.) I tried to do this by copying the contents
>of the 'MSWD' resource of the Desktop into the 'MACA' resource--it didn't work.
>Can anyone suggest what I can do?
>Ralph Melton
>ralphm@portia.stanford.edu

	What yo want to look for at your local Mac software
	dealer or Mail order location is HandOff. This is an
	INIT that will do specifically what you ask. It will
	re-direct files from other applications to the
	applications that you really want to launch them,
	assuming of course that the other application knows
	how to deal with those files, ie convert them or open
	them. Its supposed to eliminate the Application not
	found dialog in the Finder...
--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.