[comp.sys.mac.system] Speed data for Mac IIfx and IIcx

jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) (05/29/90)

From: jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Speed data for Mac IIfx and Iicx
Expires:
I need some information on the speed of the Macs IIfx and IIcx in terms of
MIPS, Dhrystones and other benchmarks.  Any comparison with similar machines
(such as SparcStation, NeXT, PS/2 70...) will be welcome.

Please respond by e-mail, I will post a summary later on.

Thanks.

Jerome Plun
Dept Computer Science
Washington University
St. Louis,MO
jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (05/30/90)

Well,

kinda related.
I ran Soft PC 1.3 EGA/AT on a AT, IIci, and a IIfx.  Using the Norton
System Information, the AT rated at 5.3 (numbers are times faster than a
standard XT), the IIci 3.1, and the IIfx a blazing 8.6!!!!!!  What a
difference.  IBM game animations are almost smooth!

Len Schultz

jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (05/30/90)

Well, under A/UX 1.1 using the 50MHz Daystar PowerCard, my upgraded
MacII runs the 1.1 version of Dhrystones at around 8800/sec using the
standard cc compiler.

Using the Unisoft Optimizing C compiler, I can get 12444 dhrystones/
sec out of my mac...

I assume that number for the fx would be close...

In fact, in the May issue of Personal Workstation, the breakdown of
the IIfx vs. the IIci is as follows:

	System		Dhry2		Linpack
					single	double

	IIfx (MacOS)	12158		.2300	.1900
	IIfx (A/UX)	10377		---	---
	IIci (MacOS)	 7853		.1448	.1297

|       Jim Jagielski                          NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1  |
|  jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov                    Greenbelt, MD 20771   |