[comp.sys.mac.system] Using 6.0.3 on IIci to avoid 32-bit QuickDraw

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (05/31/90)

johnr@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (John Rotenstein) writes:

>Background:

>Much software (esp. games) fails to work on the IIci due to 32-Bit QuickDraw
>being in the ROMs.  On the IIcx, etc., 32-Bit QuickDraw is a file which can
>be renamed/removed to deactivate. But not on the IIci.

>The IIci complains a lot unless it gets to run 6.0.4.

>Prophecy:

>That running 6.0.3 (or earlier) on a IIci would avoid loading the ROM-based
>32-Bit QuickDraw routines, thereby making the machine behave more like a IIcx.

>Question:

>Anyone had any success on these grounds?

The IIci REQUIRES 6.0.4, and because of an obscure bug in TextEdit with that
combination, I recommend 6.0.5.  Unfortunately, 32-bit QD is not the "only
problem" with game software -- some authors hardcode for "if the machine number
is greater than the Mac II, then color QD is available."

The main game I find that I have trouble with (and it is documented by the
authors) is SimCity.  Other than that, I haven't used the ci much for anything
but work. :-(

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |