[comp.sys.mac.system] What is Backgrounder? FinderStartup?

rq02+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Quadrel) (06/05/90)

There are two system files in my System Folder whose origin and function are
completely unknown to me.  Can someone tell me where the "Backgrounder" and
"Finder Startup" files come from?  And what do they do?
Thanks!
Rich
rquadrel@cad.cs.cmu.edu

anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) (06/05/90)

Backgrounder (when background printing is enabled) looks for files in
the Spool Folder of your System Folder and invokes PrintMonitor when it
finds any.

Finder Startup is a file used by the Finder to store a list of
applications and DA's to start up when the Finder starts up.  You can
tell the Finder what these are by using the Set Startup option from
the Finder's Special menu.

anders

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (06/06/90)

In article <kaOdDkq00WB8AAHUMO@andrew.cmu.edu> rq02+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Richard Quadrel) writes:
> There are two system files in my System Folder whose origin and function
are
> completely unknown to me.  Can someone tell me where the "Backgrounder"
and
> "Finder Startup" files come from?  And what do they do?
> Thanks!
> Rich
> rquadrel@cad.cs.cmu.edu

Easy.  Finder Startup is the document that the Finder creates to specify
what it should start up whenever you start up your Macintosh (i.e. it's
the data file that's created to hold your "Set Startup" information).

Backgrounder is a bit weirder: it's a little application with no user
interface that's always running if you are running MultiFinder.  Its sole
task (pre-System 7.0) is to check to see if the user prints with
background printing and, if so, it launches Print Monitor automagically.
The intent was always to provide some kind of ability to automagically
launch stuff that always did its thing "in the background," but it's taken
us System 7.0 to actually get that working (System 7.0 will feature a
"Startup Items" folder into which you can drop stuff that you want
launched whenever you boot).

                                Paul Snively
                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
                             Apple Computer, Inc.

chewy@apple.com

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that I believe
what they believe, or vice-versa.

jay@argosy.UUCP (Jay O'Conor) (06/06/90)

In article <8541@goofy.Apple.COM> chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) writes:

>Backgrounder is a bit weirder: it's a little application with no user
>interface that's always running if you are running MultiFinder.  Its sole
>task (pre-System 7.0) is to check to see if the user prints with
>background printing and, if so, it launches Print Monitor automagically.
>The intent was always to provide some kind of ability to automagically
>launch stuff that always did its thing "in the background," but it's taken
>us System 7.0 to actually get that working (System 7.0 will feature a
>"Startup Items" folder into which you can drop stuff that you want
>launched whenever you boot).

Huh?  6.0.4 (and probably 6.0.5, but I haven't tried it) supports
automatically launching apps at boot time if they're in the "Background Folder"
within the System Folder.  At least I think it's named "Background Folder".
I'm not at my Mac at the moment, so I can't verify the name, but it's there
and I know it works 'cause I use it to launch the Globe app (it makes a
fun program to monitor how well MultiFinder multitasking is performing).
How does System 7.0's "Startup Items" differ from the current
"Background Folder"?  One thing that _will_ be nice about 7.0 in this
regard will be the ability to drop an alias for the app into the
"Startup Items" folder.  At least I assume this will be possible.  Anyone
care to confirm/deny this?

Jay O'Conor
jay@maspar.com

peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu (Steve Peltz) (06/06/90)

In article <568@argosy.UUCP> jay@idiot.UUCP (Jay O'Conor) writes:
>Huh?  6.0.4 (and probably 6.0.5, but I haven't tried it) supports
>automatically launching apps at boot time if they're in the "Background Folder"
>within the System Folder.  At least I think it's named "Background Folder".

Huh? The way to specify an application should be started when multifinder
starts is to open those applications you want, go to Set Startup, and tell it
to open "Open Applications and DAs"... if there is a "Background Folder", it
is not documented in anything I've seen.

BTW, the Finder Startup file is only used when running Multifinder. When using
Multifinder, Set Startup sets the application name in the boot sector (or sets
it to Finder or Multifinder as appropriate).
--
Steve Peltz P-ASEL C-G
Internet: peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu	PLATO/NovaNET: peltz/s/cerl

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun6.154344.15507@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu
(Steve Peltz) writes:
> In article <568@argosy.UUCP> jay@idiot.UUCP (Jay O'Conor) writes:
> >Huh?  6.0.4 (and probably 6.0.5, but I haven't tried it) supports
> >automatically launching apps at boot time if they're in the "Background
Folder"
> >within the System Folder.  At least I think it's named "Background
Folder".

> Huh? The way to specify an application should be started when multifinder
> starts is to open those applications you want, go to Set Startup, and
tell it
> to open "Open Applications and DAs"... if there is a "Background
Folder", it
> is not documented in anything I've seen.

You're both right.  The reason that the "Background Folder" trick is
undocumented is that it really doesn't do what it was intended to do.

Let me explain a bit further.  What I meant in my original posting was
that there was always intended to be a mechanism for allowing things like
Print Monitor.  What makes Print Monitor kinda weird is that it pops up
under some condition, and goes away under some condition--automagically.
There is no "Quit" menu item anywhere; when Print Monitor comes and when
it goes is not under user control.  It's just there, providing a service.

Pre-System 7.0, there isn't a supported mechanism for launching and
quitting from such applications.  When you Restart or Shutdown under
MultiFinder, it goes through this elaborate mating ritual with all of the
currently-running applications in order to convince the applications to
quit themselves just as if the user had selected "Quit" from the "File"
menu.  That's kinda hard to do if you have nothing equivalent to a "Quit"
item.

Ordinary apps do indeed work just fine in the "Background Folder."

jay@argosy.UUCP (Jay O'Conor) (06/08/90)

In article <1990Jun6.154344.15507@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu (Steve Peltz) writes:

>Huh? The way to specify an application should be started when multifinder
>starts is to open those applications you want, go to Set Startup, and tell it
>to open "Open Applications and DAs"... if there is a "Background Folder", it
>is not documented in anything I've seen.

You're right.  It's not documented.  However, it's there and it works!
I learned about this feature here on the net - I don't remember who
found it, though.

Jay O'Conor
jay@maspar.com

Michael.Burton@p3.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael Burton) (06/08/90)

   Richard Quadrel wrote:
> Can someone tell me where the "Backgrounder" and "Finder Startup"
> files come from?  And what do they do?

   They came from the System Tools disk when you installed the system
software on your drive.
   Backgrounder is necessary if you're using MultiFinder and spooling
documents to a LaserWriter with Print Monitor (which is also part of
the system software).
   Finder Startup is a document used by the system to determine whether
you wish to boot with MultiFinder active, and whether you want any
applications or DAs opened on startup.

--
Michael Burton via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.3!Michael.Burton