[comp.sys.mac.system] What systems before 7.0?

pack@acd.ucar.edu (Dan Packman) (06/07/90)

We have gotten a copy of multifinder 6.1b9 which moves the applications
list ahead of the DAs (in the apple menu) and has the Set Aside option
added.  Is this a relatively stable beta release?  Seems so, so far.
Is there going to be a true 6.1 release or any other pre 7.0 release?
The small changes in this 6.1 multifinder are rather useful.
Dan Packman     NCAR                         INTERNET: pack@ncar.UCAR.EDU
(303) 497-1427  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: pack@ncar.CSNET
                Boulder, CO  80307       DECNET  SPAN: 9.367::PACK

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (06/07/90)

In article <7579@ncar.ucar.edu> pack@acd.ucar.edu (Dan Packman) writes:
> We have gotten a copy of multifinder 6.1b9 which moves the applications
> list ahead of the DAs (in the apple menu) and has the Set Aside option
> added.  Is this a relatively stable beta release?  Seems so, so far.
> Is there going to be a true 6.1 release or any other pre 7.0 release?
> The small changes in this 6.1 multifinder are rather useful.

Indeed they are.  However, there's only one person maintaining MultiFinder
these days, so needless to say, he's been a tad swamped. :-)  The upshot
is that the 6.1bx releases, while pretty stable, are completely
unsupported (the only reason they exist at all is because of the SADE
debugger).  However, the nice new features are present in System 7.0.

> Dan Packman     NCAR                         INTERNET: pack@ncar.UCAR.EDU
> (303) 497-1427  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: pack@ncar.CSNET
>                 Boulder, CO  80307       DECNET  SPAN: 9.367::PACK

                                Paul Snively
                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
                             Apple Computer, Inc.

chewy@apple.com

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that I believe
what they believe, or vice-versa.

anders@penguin (Anders Wallgren) (06/08/90)

As far as I know, the only reason to use MultiFinder 6.1b9 is if you
need to debug your programs with SADE - I don't think Apple has any
intentions to release any major revisions to System 6 (ie. 6.x, where
x > 0).

anders

dbrown@apple.com (David Brown) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun7.181553.4086@verity.com> anders@penguin (Anders
Wallgren) writes:
> As far as I know, the only reason to use MultiFinder 6.1b9 is if you
> need to debug your programs with SADE

MultiFinder 6.1b9 has a nice feature called "set aside" - you can hide all the
windows of an application while keeping the application in memory - makes
for a much neater desktop.  But MF 6.1b9 does some strange things to the
OnCue menu (one of my favorite utilities) - all of the DA's are listed
before OnCue's installed applications (in place of the running
applications) - anyone have a fix for this?

David Brown        415-649-4000
Orion Network Systems
(a subsidiary of Apple Computer)
1995 University Ave. Suite 350
Berkeley, CA 94704

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (06/16/90)

In article <8679@goofy.Apple.COM> dbrown@apple.com (David Brown) writes:
>for a much neater desktop.  But MF 6.1b9 does some strange things to the
>OnCue menu (one of my favorite utilities) - all of the DA's are listed
>before OnCue's installed applications (in place of the running
>applications) - anyone have a fix for this?

	in the Oncue Prefs dialog, turn of, uncheck the setting for
	insert Application switching menu when you are using MF 6.1b9
	and Oncue. Works fine.. you don't need the applications switching
	menu with Oncue when running 6,1b9...

	----

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.