[comp.sys.mac.system] Folder from hell => Solution!

delepiw@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU (Wesley Delepierre) (07/06/90)

Here is an undocumented feature that was found in MacWeek.
Run Disk First Aid from a floppy with a System, since it wont fix its own disk.
After you have selected the disk you want to fix but before you press the start
button press Command/S and a second progress window will appear below the
utility window.  Then press start.  When finished any folder from hell should
now be trashable.

Wesly Delepierre
Oregon State University
delepiw@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU

In article <19211@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> delepiw@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU.UUCP (Wesley Delepierre) writes:
>Here is an undocumented feature that was found in MacWeek.
>Run Disk First Aid from a floppy with a System, since it wont fix its own disk.
>After you have selected the disk you want to fix but before you press the start
>button press Command/S and a second progress window will appear below the
>utility window.  Then press start.  When finished any folder from hell should
>now be trashable.

My experience is that it doesn't work-- all that happens is that in the middle
of the catalog file, Disk First Aid gives up claiming 'Cannot Verify status
of disk'.

Command-R, whatever that does, doesn't work either.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (07/06/90)

In article <19211@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, delepiw@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU (Wesley
Delepierre) writes:
> Here is an undocumented feature that was found in MacWeek.
> Run Disk First Aid from a floppy with a System, since it wont fix its
own disk.
> After you have selected the disk you want to fix but before you press
the start
> button press Command/S and a second progress window will appear below the
> utility window.  Then press start.  When finished any folder from hell
should
> now be trashable.
Yet another example of the intuitive Mac interface, especially in software
supplied by Apple...

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jon Joshua) (07/06/90)

I got a folder from hell the other day.  I just copied another folder
with the same name to the window and overwrote the old one.  I could
just delete the new folder and everything was ok.

JOn.
--
                        /\                    ?               ________________
jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu \  ____   __       fgu             |.signature under|

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (07/06/90)

(Wesley Delepierre) writes:
>Here is an undocumented feature that was found in MacWeek.
>After you have selected the disk you want to fix but before you press the start
>button press Command/S and a second progress window will appear below the
>utility window.  Then press start.  When finished any folder from hell should
>now be trashable.

While Disk First Aid will often be able to fix a directory with the
untrashable folder problem, all pressing command-S does is show the
Scavenge window; it doesn't make any functional difference.
--
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a