[comp.sys.mac.system] System error 99?

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (07/07/90)

I've been getting a system error 99 occasionally when I boot up.
Can anybody tells me what this means? It happens after MacsBug
is loaded, but before my INIT icons start their march across the
screen, so perhaps it's nothing to do with them.

I've done virus checks with Disinfectant 1.8, without finding
anything. I'm running a vintage Mac II with 5Mb of memory and
System 6.0.5, MacsBug 6.1, the Comms Toolbox, 32-bit QuickDraw,
Adobe Type Manager, After Dark, ADSP, AppleShare client, the
Apple CD-ROM software, Easy Access, and MacroMaker.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 29" S, 175^ 19' 16" E, GMT+12:00
"The yoghurt's gone off."
"How can you tell?"

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (07/10/90)

In article <955.2695f83f@waikato.ac.nz> ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>I've been getting a system error 99 occasionally when I boot up.
>Can anybody tells me what this means? It happens after MacsBug
>is loaded, but before my INIT icons start their march across the
>screen, so perhaps it's nothing to do with them.

  System Error 99 means that the System couldn't load a patch (be it 'PTCH' or
'ptch') at startup.  Why it only happens to you occasionally is rather odd.
Chances are, your System file is a little flakey, and you should probably
re-install sometime in the near future...

  -- Dean Yu
     Summer Meanie

  "I'm having trouble convincing Apple in general that I'm actually here, so
   don't take this as something Apple said."

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (07/11/90)

I can't believe it's only four days since I posted my question on
the net. Since then, I've been getting a steady stream of replies
from lots of very helpful people.

Thank you one and all, but--ENOUGH! I've got hold of the System Error
DA from Sumex, and it really does contain a good list of system
and other error codes.

For what it's worth, error 99 is "dsBadPatch", which means the
system is having trouble loading a PTCH resource (these contain
patches for the ROM code).

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 29" S, 175^ 19' 16" E, GMT+12:00
To someone with a hammer and a screwdriver, every problem looks
like a nail with threads.