[comp.sys.mac.system] backround printing with imagewriter I?

fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Phred Dushin) (07/09/90)

Can one use the system file backrounder in conjunction with print
monitor (that is how it is supposed to work, right?) to print in the
backround on an imagewriter I, or are these files usable only with
postscript printers?  There was some discussion about the use of these
files some time back, but I don't recall any discussion of what kind of
printers these files are used for.

Fred Dushin                             Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
Internet:                               Bitnet:
fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu              fadushin@sunrise.bitnet

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (07/10/90)

In article <3836@rodan.acs.syr.edu> fadushin@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Phred
Dushin) writes:
> Can one use the system file backrounder in conjunction with print
> monitor (that is how it is supposed to work, right?) to print in the
> backround on an imagewriter I, or are these files usable only with
> postscript printers?

For now, Apple doesn't support background printing on the ImageWriter
series of printers.  It's not a question of Postscript, though, as the
non-Postscript LaserWriter IISC does do background printing.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!

geske@hpislx.HP.COM (Brent Geske) (07/12/90)

> Can one use the system file backrounder in conjunction with print
> monitor (that is how it is supposed to work, right?) to print in the
> backround on an imagewriter I, or are these files usable only with
> postscript printers?  There was some discussion about the use of these
> files some time back, but I don't recall any discussion of what kind of
> printers these files are used for.

Nope.  Backgrounder and Print Monitor work only with PostScript printers
being addressed over AppleTalk.

There is, however _Super_Laser_Spool_ (v2.02) available from SuperMac.  It
will spool to any printer driver which "behaves" according to IM standards.
For example, I have an HP DeskJet with which I use the _MacPrint_ printer
driver, and Adobe's ATM.  I get 300 DPI resolution with a wide variety of
PostScript fonts at *ANY* point-size, and I don't have to wait for the
printer to finish before I continue using the Mac.

I'm happy.

Brent Geske
HP Measurement Systems Operation
geske@hpisla.hp.com

danno@us.cc.umich.edu (Daniel T. Pritts) (07/14/90)

In article <13640001@hpislx.HP.COM> geske@hpislx.HP.COM (Brent Geske) writes:

 [stuff deleted, asking about spooling output to an IW 1]

>Nope.  Backgrounder and Print Monitor work only with PostScript printers
>being addressed over AppleTalk.

Not entirely true.  PrintMonitor/Backgrounder will spool print jobs being
send to a Laserwriter SC (and also the new personal laser sc).

dan pritts       danno@um.cc.umich.edu   danno@umichum

drew@cup.portal.com (Andrew E Wade) (07/14/90)

There are several DAs at sumex that spool in the background to Imagewriter I.
I use one called Print (clever, huh? :)

-Drew Wade
drew@objy.com

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (07/17/90)

writes:
> Backgrounder and Print Monitor work only with PostScript printers
> being addressed over AppleTalk.

Actually, Backgrounder and Print Monitor have nothing to do with
Postscript, or with AppleTalk.  They work with the LaserWriter IISC, which
uses QuickDraw and the SCSI bus.

The reason Apple's ImageWriter drivers do not presently support background
printing is not technical; it has to do with the allocation of programming
resources.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!