[comp.sys.mac.system] System-based dictionary...

declan@portia.Stanford.EDU (Declan McCullagh) (07/15/90)

TJACOBS@cc.utah.edu writes...

>In article <5@genco.uucp>, rad@genco.uucp (Bob Daniel) writes:
>
>> Wouldn't it be nice to have just one system wide dictionary?  Thunder is all
>> I use now but it shouldn't be necessary for software vendors to provide
>> individual dictionaries.
>
>Lets see, Claris has just one dictionary for all its applications....and...
>Claris is now a wholely owned subsidary of Apple. Sounds like theres a solution
>hideing there somewhere. :)

Hmm... Doesn't the NeXT come standard with a dictionary quite similar to the
one you're talking about?  I believe it does.  I also believe that a lot of
applications come with a Request/Define in Webster, Request/Search in Librarian,
Request/Search in Quotations, Request/Open in Workspace (I know the editor I'm
using right now does).  $-)

Perhaps Apple could take this not-so-subtle hint and include more "standard
equipment."  Of course, this complete graphics-included Websters on the NeXT
takes up quite a bit of space (~40 Megs) so you'd have to make some
tradeoffs somewhere; I don't think it would quite fit on a 1.4 MB floppy...

-Declan

Olympic Technologies / Registered NeXT Developers \ declan@portia.stanford.edu

dent@unocss.unomaha.edu (dent) (07/17/90)

declan@portia.Stanford.EDU (Declan McCullagh) writes:
> Perhaps Apple could take this not-so-subtle hint and include more "standard
> equipment."  Of course, this complete graphics-included Websters on the NeXT
> takes up quite a bit of space (~40 Megs) so you'd have to make some
> tradeoffs somewhere; I don't think it would quite fit on a 1.4 MB floppy...

But it'd fit just fine on a 128 Meg 3.5" read/write optical floppy disk... :-)

But seriously, I think that whether we like it or not, a dictionary will become
standard System Software, perhaps in System 7.5..?

  President, Student Chapter of ACM at the University of Nebraska at Omaha
  acmpres@zeus.unomaha.edu       ..!uunet!unocss!dent       ACMPRES@UNOMA1