[comp.sys.mac.system] German keyboards for Mac

bmh@demon.siemens.com (Beatrice M Hwong) (07/17/90)

We have a need to flip between English and German keyboards since
we generate documents, usually in Word, in German.  Any suggestions
on how to go about doing this?  We know about using Quickkeys, but
how about a hardware keyboard like the ones available for IBM ATs?

Beatrice Hwong
755 College Road E
Princeton, NJ 08540
609-734-3384

weigele@fbihh.UUCP (Martin Weigele) (07/19/90)

bmh@demon.siemens.com (Beatrice M Hwong) writes:

>We have a need to flip between English and German keyboards since
>we generate documents, usually in Word, in German.  Any suggestions
>on how to go about doing this?  We know about using Quickkeys, but
>how about a hardware keyboard like the ones available for IBM ATs?

You need to get the part of the German version of the system software
that is responsible for the keyboard. By means of the control menu
you should then be able to switch from U.S. to German keys.
For that, you can just put little labels on your U.S. keyboard
to get the location of characters right or
in addition buy a German hardware keyboard.
However, the German hardware keyboard alone is not sufficient,
you need the software.

Apple definitely sells all this (standard in Germany).