[comp.sys.mac.system] How can I generate a screen font from a PostScript font?

steig@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Mark J. Steiglitz) (07/17/90)

I am trying to generate screen fonts for Palatino 7pt, 8pt, and 9pt (these
point sizes Adobe does not provide).

Is there some way I could generate a screen font using a LaserWriter and then
downloading it back to the Macintosh?  Or does someone have the Palatino
screen font in any of these sizes?
--
|Mark J. Steiglitz, 316 Thurston Ave. Apt. B14, Ithaca, NY 14850, 607-257-7319|
|Internet: steig@cs.cornell.edu                                               |

awessels@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (07/18/90)

In article <43415@cornell.UUCP> steig@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Mark J. Steiglitz) writes:

>I am trying to generate screen fonts for Palatino 7pt, 8pt, and 9pt (these
>point sizes Adobe does not provide).
>
>Is there some way I could generate a screen font using a LaserWriter and then
>downloading it back to the Macintosh?  Or does someone have the Palatino
>screen font in any of these sizes?

The only ways I know to do it are via commercial products.  The first using
Adobe Type Manager, and the other way is to use FontSizer.  It will make a
bitmap from resident outlines in a PS laserprinter in sizes up to 96pt.

FontSizer is by Specialy Software Developmenet, 110 Wild Basin Road, Suite 270,
Austin, Texas 78746.  (512) 327-8608.

(This info is from the August MacUser.)

hans@smab.se (Hans C Larsson) (07/19/90)

awessels@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes:

>In article <43415@cornell.UUCP> steig@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Mark J. Steiglitz) writes:

>>I am trying to generate screen fonts for Palatino 7pt, 8pt, and 9pt (these
>>point sizes Adobe does not provide).
>>
>>Is there some way I could generate a screen font using a LaserWriter and then
>>downloading it back to the Macintosh?  Or does someone have the Palatino
>>screen font in any of these sizes?

>The only ways I know to do it are via commercial products.  The first using
>Adobe Type Manager, and the other way is to use FontSizer.  It will make a
>bitmap from resident outlines in a PS laserprinter in sizes up to 96pt.

>FontSizer is by Specialy Software Developmenet, 110 Wild Basin Road, Suite 270,
>Austin, Texas 78746.  (512) 327-8608.

>(This info is from the August MacUser.)

If you use Adobe Type Manager *and* have the actual Outline (Printer) Fonts
in your system folder you can dispense of all sizes except one (!) of
the bitmapped fonts.
        Hans C Larsson			Email:	hans@smab.se
   	Saab Missiles, Sweden