[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0 suggestion

rad@genco.uucp (Bob Daniel) (07/12/90)

Every DTP, Word Processor, and now even DA's are coming with a spelling
dictionary.  I have over 6 meg of disk space taken up because of various
spelling checkers.  Any additional words I want to add has to be added to
each dictionary separately.

It would be nice if System7 had a Spelling Manager with a standard dictionary
and the ability to add specialized dictionaries (Engineering, Medical, etc.).

All appropriate spellcheck toolbox calls would be included for adding, deleting,
and checking strings, TE Handles ettc.

Wouldn't it be nice to have just one system wide dictionary?  Thunder is all
I use now but it shouldn't be necessary for software vendors to provide
individual dictionaries.

kenney@hsi.UUCP (Brian Kenney) (07/14/90)

In article <5@genco.uucp> rad@genco. (Bob Daniel) writes:
>It would be nice if System7 had a Spelling Manager with a standard dictionary
>and the ability to add specialized dictionaries (Engineering, Medical, etc.).

>Wouldn't it be nice to have just one system wide dictionary?

  I don't think so.  That sounds like creaping featurism, and would amount
to more delays in system software.

-bri
--
Brian Kenney               kenney@hsi.com            ...!uunet!hsi!kenney
"Television is a device that permits people who haven't anything to do

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) (07/16/90)

In article <1806@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> kenney@hsi.com (Brian Kenney) writes:
>In article <5@genco.uucp> rad@genco. (Bob Daniel) writes:
>>It would be nice if System7 had a Spelling Manager with a standard dictionary
>>and the ability to add specialized dictionaries (Engineering, Medical, etc.).
>
>>Wouldn't it be nice to have just one system wide dictionary?
>
>  I don't think so.  That sounds like creaping featurism, and would amount
>to more delays in system software.
>Brian Kenney               kenney@hsi.com            ...!uunet!hsi!kenney

You must admit, however, that having 3 or 4 spell checkers is a real pain.
I agree that it should not be a part of the system though.  Software
developers should come up with a standard dictionary that can be accessed
by various spell checking 'engines'.  Thats my thought about it anyway.

--
Ray Johnson
Internet: rjohnson@gwusun.gwu.edu       Phone: (202)994-6853

gjditchfield@watmsg.uwaterloo.ca (Glen Ditchfield) (07/17/90)

In article <2022@sparko.gwu.edu> rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
>In article <1806@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> kenney@hsi.com (Brian Kenney) writes:
>>In article <5@genco.uucp> rad@genco. (Bob Daniel) writes:
>>>It would be nice if System7 had a Spelling Manager with a standard dictionary
>>>and the ability to add specialized dictionaries (Engineering, Medical, etc.).
>
>You must admit, however, that having 3 or 4 spell checkers is a real pain.
>I agree that it should not be a part of the system though.  Software
>developers should come up with a standard dictionary that can be accessed
>by various spell checking 'engines'.

I though System 7.0 is supposed to have an Inter-Application Communications
Dohickey (or something like that), so that applications can talk to each
other.  I thought that meant that we will buy one spelling-checker
application, and when it starts up it will tell the system "Howdy! Ah'm a
spelling checker and hypenator.  Anybody got any questions about that
stuff, you just send 'em right along to me, hear?"

dswt@stl.stc.co.uk (Stewart Tansley) (07/19/90)

In article <1806@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> kenney@hsi.com (Brian Kenney) writes:
>In article <5@genco.uucp> rad@genco. (Bob Daniel) writes:
>
>>Wouldn't it be nice to have just one system wide dictionary?
>
>  I don't think so.  That sounds like creaping featurism, and would amount
>to more delays in system software.

Rubbish. :-) + :-|

Well, whilst I hate delays as much as anyone, there are some excellent
features that *should* be put into System 7 nonetheless, which are (apparently)
not being done. A standard dictionary architecture is one of them.

Why all the fuss though? A system-wide dictionary could then be assumed by
*all* applications (cf. Printers, Comms toolbox, etc.) - just think of the
implications & benefits...*and* it would be a key feature to beat the
MS-DOS/Windows boys with... :-)

(Ok, so maybe this is one of Apple's 'leave it to the 3rd party boys' things?
Also, note that Claris *has* a application-independent dictionary architecture
- for its own apps.)

Stewart Tansley     | STC Technology Ltd              |  'Be cool, or be
+44 279 29531 x2763 | London Rd, Harlow, CM17 9NA, UK |    cast out...'
dswt@stl.stc.co.uk  | ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dswt     | Subdivisions, Rush
   'You know how that rabbit feels - going under your spinning wheels...'