[comp.sys.mac.system] How to make AppleShare not to clear screen when boot?

mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (Dhanapong Saengrussamee-University of North Texas) (07/19/90)

Howdy!

  I, for one, love to watch those startup icons pop up at the bottom of my
screen.  I beleive I got 27 of them, apart from those that do window instead
(DosMounter, TempoII, Calendar, SuperSpool, ....).

  Then our AppleShare file server goes to sleep (temporary-it is ok now, for
those who worry 8^) ) so I disable AppleShare INIT.  Viola!  The next time I
boot, all the icons stay until the end.  After thinkering, I found out that
AppleShare INIT clears the screen when it is activated (which is between
After Dark and BigFoot, in my case).

  Is their a way to patch/block AppleShare INIT so that it will not clear the
screen while startup sequence is in progress?  I am using 6.0.5 and the
AppleShare INIT is 2.0.2.  (I am very good with ResEdit, MacTools, FEdit+...)

  As usual, please e-mail your response.  I will post the finding/result to the
net just in case somebody also would like to know.

  Thanks in advance,
__Mouse.o()~
-----------------------------------+------------------------------------------
Dhanapong "Mouse" Saengrussamee    | AppleLink : U1364 | BITNET : mouse@untvax
Technical Support, CECS Dept.,     | BIX : d.mouse.s | CompuServe : 71301,1516
University of North Texas,         | GENie : d.saengrussa | IP : 129.120.1.4
PO Box 5155, Denton, TX 76203-5155 | Internet : mouse@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
voice (817) 565-3790               | SPAN : utspan::utandx::untvax::mouse
fax   (817) 565-4425               | THENet : untvax::mouse
------------------- UUCP : {...!uunet!convex!iex}!ntvax!vaxb.acs.unt.edu!mouse

dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) (07/19/90)

A related question is whether there is a way to get some pesky
startup icons to behave. I'm always annoyed at SUM shield which
insists on drawing itself in its own special place instead of
lining up nicely behind the one before it. Can someone tell us
where this location is controlled so we can remove it with RedEdit?

I do hope someone can address this important question of Macintosh
functionality for me since I'm completely unable to work without
knowing the answer ;-).

dwal@midway.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (07/20/90)

In article <37651@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dana@are.berkeley.edu (Dana E. Keil) writes:
>A related question is whether there is a way to get some pesky
>startup icons to behave. I'm always annoyed at SUM shield which
>insists on drawing itself in its own special place instead of
>lining up nicely behind the one before it. Can someone tell us
>where this location is controlled so we can remove it with RedEdit?
>
>I do hope someone can address this important question of Macintosh
>functionality for me since I'm completely unable to work without
>knowing the answer ;-).

Guess you'll have to sell your Macintosh and get a 386 with Windows,
then...

The position of the INIT's icon is controlled in the INIT code.  A
procedure called ShowInit, by Paul Mercer (I think) from Apple, is what
an INIT calls to display its icon.  The parameters passed to that procedure
control the position of the icon:

	PROCEDURE ShowINIT(iconID: Integer; moveX: Integer);

You'd have to find the ShowINIT call and substitute a -1 in the moveX
parameter to have the SAM icon shift over correctly.  And that fix
assumes that SAM uses ShowInit; Symantec may do something completely
different.

David
--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@tank.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }