[comp.sys.mac.system] ChooserUser CDEV 1.0b4

tim@efi.com (Tim Maroney) (07/20/90)

Note that this posting to comp.binaries.mac would be trivial for most
programmers to defeat, and that if you attempt to use it in any way
that will inconvenience many users, it is likely that someone at your
school will write and distribute free software to defeat it.  Which is
not to say that it's useless, only that you should not consider it as a
security tool.  It is an administrative tool, not a security tool.

volaski@acsu.buffalo.edu (Maurice Volaski) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.180338.3482@efi.com> tim@efi.com (Tim Maroney) writes:
>Note that this posting to comp.binaries.mac would be trivial for most
>programmers to defeat, and that if you attempt to use it in any way
>that will inconvenience many users, it is likely that someone at your
>school will write and distribute free software to defeat it.  Which is
>not to say that it's useless, only that you should not consider it as a
>security tool.  It is an administrative tool, not a security tool.

Indeed, I didn't design it as a security tool, and I mentioned in the
documentation that it can be defeated. However, when you say it would be
trivial to defeat, by what method are you referring to. (1.0b4 is indeed
trivial to defeat as it contains a bug--one fixed in 1.0b5, which is being
posted).

Maurice Volaski