[comp.sys.mac.system] Query: Starting things in background

aperez@cvbnet.UUCP (Arturo Perez x6739) (07/12/90)

I use Launch  3.0 so that when I boot the Mac, it gets started.

However, it gets started as the "foreground" process.

Is there a way to have it started at boot time so that it is a background
process?

Arturo Perez
ComputerVision, a division of Prime
aperez@cvbnet.prime.com
Too much information, like a bullet through my brain -- The Police

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff White) (07/12/90)

In article <649@cvbnetPrime.COM> aperez@cvbnet.UUCP (Arturo Perez x6739) writes:
>I use Launch  3.0 so that when I boot the Mac, it gets started.
>
>However, it gets started as the "foreground" process.
>
>Is there a way to have it started at boot time so that it is a background
>process?

  Applications launched under MultiFinder are launched alphabetically.  In
your case, Finder is launched first, the Launch.  If you rename Launch so it
starts with a letter before F (for Finder), it should run first, and then
Finder will launch after and stay in the foreground.

						Jeff White
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) (07/17/90)

In article <27004@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
>  Applications launched under MultiFinder are launched alphabetically.  In
>your case, Finder is launched first, the Launch.  If you rename Launch so it
>starts with a letter before F (for Finder), it should run first, and then
>Finder will launch after and stay in the foreground.

	Actually launching under MultiFinder works like:
	1.  MultiFinder is launched
	2a.	If you are running 6.1.b9 everything in Background Folder
		gets launched in alphabetical order
	2b.	If you aren't running 6.1b9 Backgrounder gets launched.
	3.  Finder gets launched.
	4.  Finder launches it's "set startup" applications (probably
		in alphabetical order)
	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb@apple.com

nishri@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Alex Nishri) (07/21/90)

In article <9161@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) writes:
>In article <27004@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
>>  Applications launched under MultiFinder are launched alphabetically.  In
>>your case, Finder is launched first, the Launch.  If you rename Launch so it
>>starts with a letter before F (for Finder), it should run first, and then
>>Finder will launch after and stay in the foreground.
>
>	Actually launching under MultiFinder works like:
>	1.  MultiFinder is launched
>	2a.	If you are running 6.1.b9 everything in Background Folder
>		gets launched in alphabetical order
>	2b.	If you aren't running 6.1b9 Backgrounder gets launched.
>	3.  Finder gets launched.
>	4.  Finder launches it's "set startup" applications (probably
>		in alphabetical order)
>	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
>	dwb@apple.com

For #2a, is that a folder literally called 'Background' inside the System
folder?  What sort of things can be launched this way?

PS: sending mail to dwb@apple.com or dwb@archer.apple.com gets bounced back
from apple.com; was the above item actually posted by someone at Apple?