[comp.sys.mac.system] Finder 6.x puzzlements

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (07/26/90)

Somewhere around version 6.0, the Finder's "LAYO" customisation resource
gained a few new fields. Can somebody tell me the meanings of some of these?
I'm particularly curious about the ones described by ResEdit as "text view
date", "sort style", "use phys icon" and "color style". I assume that "copy
inherit" and "new folder inherit" have to do with inheritance of folder
privileges on AppleShare volumes, and that "watch thresh" is the number
of ticks before the wristwatch cursor comes up.

Also, I'm puzzled about some of the things the Finder does while it
copies files. I remember hearing that the number of files the Finder
would copy in a single pass was limited to something like 30, while
the actual amount of data it would copy at once was limited only
by available memory. This doesn't seem to be true. I've got a 1.6-megabyte
System file, and it definitely took about 4 or 5 read/write cycles to
copy the whole thing from one hard disk to another. My Mac II has
5 megs of memory, and MultiFinder wasn't even running at the time--
I turned it off because the Finder runs out of room in its application
heap if I try copying 1900 files at a time.

This is Finder 6.1.5, System 6.0.5, by the way.

Also, when copying such a large number of files, I have sometimes
hit the message "The file such-and-such couldn't be written and was
skipped (disk error)" (or something like that). And yet after I've
finished the bulk copying, I can go back and individually copy those
troublesome files (three or four of them in the worst case so far),
and they will copy OK.

Any ideas? I can't believe that I'm having I/O errors on the SyQuest...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Computer Services Dept                    fone: +64-71-562-889
University of Waikato                      fax: +64-71-384-066
Hamilton, New Zealand            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
To someone with a hammer and a screwdriver, every problem looks
like a nail with threads.

man@eilat.cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (07/26/90)

In article <1099.26af1994@waikato.ac.nz>, ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz
(Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
|>Also, when copying such a large number of files, I have sometimes
|>hit the message "The file such-and-such couldn't be written and was
|>skipped (disk error)" (or something like that). And yet after I've
|>finished the bulk copying, I can go back and individually copy those
|>troublesome files (three or four of them in the worst case so far),
|>and they will copy OK.

I've been having similar problems, except that mine are more consistent.
Specifically, whenever I try to copy a file that's more than about 100K
either to or from my Jasmine Megadrive 10 (or both, by doing the
"Duplicate" command in the Finder), I get the disk error message.  The
same files can be copied using a disk copying utility (a DA).  I never
experienced this problem prior to System 6.0.5.

	--Mark

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (07/27/90)

In article <1099.26af1994@waikato.ac.nz>, ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz
(Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
 > Also, when copying such a large number of files, I have sometimes
 > hit the message "The file such-and-such couldn't be written and was
 > skipped (disk error)" (or something like that). And yet after I've
 > finished the bulk copying, I can go back and individually copy those
 > troublesome files (three or four of them in the worst case so far),
 > and they will copy OK.
 >
 > Any ideas? I can't believe that I'm having I/O errors on the SyQuest...

I also had this problem (I think it was with System 6.0.3), but
it did turn out to be a bad SyQuest ( :-(  )  (Fortunately, MirrorTech
shipped me a replacement UPS Overnight -- got it the next day!).

Most formatting software has an option to do a non-destructive test (i.e.
doesn't erase your files) of your drive (of your cartridge if a SyQuest
removable).  Try that.

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \