[comp.sys.mac.system] Multifinder 6.1b9 and background folder

spencer@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (07/27/90)

I'm confused.  I have 2 Mac IIs, one at home, one at work.  Both
running 6.0.5 (installed with installer) and MF 6.1b9.  I read the
recent message about using the "Background folder" to start apps in
the background upon boot.  So I tried it at work.  Worked like a
charm.  Then I tried it at home.  Didn't work at all.  So what gives?

More info:
They have similar (large) sets of inits.  But, even when I restarted
with a minimal set (INIT CDEV, Gatekeeper Aid and Gatekeeper,
MaxAppleZoom, Desktop Manager), I didn't get any of my background
folder apps to start.

One interesting note:  Although the apps show up on the apple menu,
the "about the finder" box incorporates their memory into the
"System".

ghe@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) (07/28/90)

In article <2970@zipeecs.umich.edu> spencer@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
> I'm confused.  I have 2 Mac IIs, one at home, one at work.  Both
> running 6.0.5 (installed with installer) and MF 6.1b9.  I read the
> recent message about using the "Background folder" to start apps in
                                                              ^^^^
> the background upon boot.  So I tried it at work.  Worked like a
> charm.  Then I tried it at home.  Didn't work at all.  So what gives?

I don't know the answer but do have a related question. Notice that he used
apps in the sentence. I tried the 'Background Folder' with my SE/30, 6.0.5,
and MF6.1b9. I can only start ONE application in that folder. Did someone
start more than one app there?

Thanks in Advance.
                            Guangliang He

                            ghe@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU