[comp.sys.mac.system] What in the world is wrong with my computer?!?

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (07/28/90)

OK, I'm stumped.

Hardware: 5 Macintosh IIci's
            - these are running on the internal 8-bit video
          2 Macintosh II's
            - these are running on the 8-bit "Toby frame buffer" card

Software: System 6.0.5
          a few INITs, including LaunchBreak, GateKeeper, Gatekeeper Aid,
            Suitcase II, AutoIdle, ChooserUser, and a couple other ones.

Problem:  On all the above machines except one of the IIci's, the apple
          [the one at the top of the Apple menu] is black, regardless
          of the monitor's bit depth. 256-color, PixelPaint Pro window;
          black apple.  On the one IIci, the Apple appears in rainbow
          colors as it should.

Anyone got any ideas?  I have reinstalled 6.0.5, run Disinfectant 2.0,
yadi yadi yadi...

<chaz>
--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (07/28/90)

In article <1891@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson)
writes:

> OK, I'm stumped.
>
> Hardware: 5 Macintosh IIci's
>             - these are running on the internal 8-bit video
>           2 Macintosh II's
>             - these are running on the 8-bit "Toby frame buffer" card
>
> Software: System 6.0.5
>           a few INITs, including LaunchBreak, GateKeeper, Gatekeeper Aid,
>             Suitcase II, AutoIdle, ChooserUser, and a couple other ones.
>
> Problem:  On all the above machines except one of the IIci's, the apple
>           [the one at the top of the Apple menu] is black, regardless
>           of the monitor's bit depth. 256-color, PixelPaint Pro window;
>           black apple.  On the one IIci, the Apple appears in rainbow
>           colors as it should.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?  I have reinstalled 6.0.5, run Disinfectant 2.0,
> yadi yadi yadi...

If you installed the System Software using the "Minimum" installer script
for your system the resource for the color Apple is not installed.
Reinstall using the standard installer script and everything should be
fine.

Scott Winders
internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com

In article <43408@apple.Apple.COM> winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) writes:
>In article <1891@ux.acs.umn.edu> I wrote:
>> OK, I'm stumped.
>>
>> Problem:  On all the above machines except one of the IIci's, the apple
>>           [the one at the top of the Apple menu] is black, regardless
>
>If you installed the System Software using the "Minimum" installer script
>for your system the resource for the color Apple is not installed.

Boy, do I feel like a loser.  8)  Thanks, everyone, for your quick responses.
_Please_ tell me that this _isn't_ discussed in the manuals.... =8 >

<chaz>

--