[comp.sys.mac.system] Inside Macintosh VI availability

bruner@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) (07/26/90)

Once upon a time I was a certified developer; however, when I was
inactive for too long (it's been a long time since my last distributed
version of UW) and subsequently moved from California to Illinois I
was apparently dropped.  My biggest loss was the technical information
I was getting.  I have a tech notes subscription, of course, but that
only goes so far.

For instance, I see various references to volume six of *Inside
Macintosh*, but it doesn't look like it is officially available.  The
most recent APDA catalog doesn't include it.  Is there any way that I
can get it?
--
John Bruner	Center for Supercomputing R&D, University of Illinois
	bruner@csrd.uiuc.edu		(217) 244-4476

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (07/28/90)

In article <1990Jul26.141904.19253@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bruner@sp15.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Bruner) writes:
>Once upon a time I was a certified developer
>I have a tech notes subscription, of course, but that only goes so
>far.
>Is there any way that I can get [Inside Mac Vol VI]?

No, I don't know a way, but I have spotted a slightly cheap way to get
some previously developer-only info: Subscribe to "Develop" and buy a
CD-ROM reader.  In each issue comes bound a CD-ROM containing all the
articles and for this and previous issues of the magazine.  (It is in
its 3rd monthly-ish issue now.)

In addition to Develop itself, the included CD called "Developer
Essentials" also is supposed to contain:

- All the different international versions of System Software
- International HyperCards
- Tech Notes
- Tech Notes Stack
- Q & A Stack
- SpInside Macintosh (I-V only--no VI yet)
- DTS sample code

I don't actually know because the new developer CD, "Discy Business",
is supposed to include all that and more, so they don't ship the
"Developer Essentials" CD to developers.  Besides, our CD reader
hasn't arrived yet.

P.S. I am using uw at this very moment.  Thanks.

Kent Borg                internet: kent@camex.com             MacNet: kentborg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577
"If 2 + 3 is always going to be 5, why do they keep teaching it to us?"
	- 5-30-90 New York Times quoting a first grader

dwal@midway.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (07/28/90)

In article <1447@camex.COM> kent@camex.com (Kent Borg) writes:

[quotes somebody asking if there's a way to get Inside Mac vol 6]

>No, I don't know a way, but I have spotted a slightly cheap way to get
>some previously developer-only info: Subscribe to "Develop" and buy a
>CD-ROM reader.  In each issue comes bound a CD-ROM containing all the
>articles and for this and previous issues of the magazine.  (It is in
>its 3rd monthly-ish issue now.)
>
>In addition to Develop itself, the included CD called "Developer
>Essentials" also is supposed to contain:
>
>- All the different international versions of System Software
>- International HyperCards
>- Tech Notes
>- Tech Notes Stack
>- Q & A Stack
>- SpInside Macintosh (I-V only--no VI yet)
>- DTS sample code

I'm not familiar with the CDs distributed with DEVELOP (only saw the
first one, which they sent out free), but the contents you describe
above sound just like the Developer's CD.  Granted, there's no reason
not to put all of it on the DEVELOP CDs; I'm sure they have the space,
and there's nothing secret in the above information.  But I thought
that the DEVELOP CDs were limited to the online version of the
magazine and the sample code from the magazine.

>Kent Borg                internet: kent@camex.com             MacNet: kentborg
>                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577
>"If 2 + 3 is always going to be 5, why do they keep teaching it to us?"
>	- 5-30-90 New York Times quoting a first grader

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }