[comp.sys.mac.system] Why are all my DA's the same kind?

tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) (07/08/90)

Here is a small mystery.  I recently noticed that when I do "Get Info"
on *any* of my desk accessory suitcases, in any folder, anywhere on the
hard disk, Finder always says it is of this "kind":

    Kind:  Number Crunch 1.2 DA document

I use Suitcase II (version 1.2.6) to open my various DA's (as opposed to
installing them in the System file using Font/DA Mover), and I *do* have
the Number Crunch 1.2 DA suitcase open (it's a nice freeware calculator).
But I have many other DA's open, too, of course.  So why does Finder
say *all* my DA suitcases are Number Crunch 1.2 DA documents?

I thought maybe it had something to do with botched bundle bits, so I ran
BundAid and then rebuilt the desktop, but that didn't change the matter.

It seems harmless enough, but I'm curious as to what's going on.
Can someone enlighten me?  This is on a vanilla Mac II under 6.0.5, but
I don't think that matters.

  -- Tony

| EMAIL:  tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu  |
| Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself. |

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (07/14/90)

In article <HEMSTREE.90Jul12205427@handel.handel.CS.Colostate.Edu> hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) writes:
:
:   > From: tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich)
:   >   Here is a small mystery.  I recently noticed that when I do "Get Info"
:   >   on *any* of my desk accessory suitcases, in any folder, anywhere on the
:   >   hard disk, Finder always says it is of this "kind":
:   >
:   >       Kind:  Number Crunch 1.2 DA document
:
: Here's my two cents worth.  I had a similiar problem happen to me the
: other day.  I run a mac II under multifinder, 5meg ram, assorted inits
: (gatekeeper / aid, init-cdev 3.0, !MacPassword, CE Quickmail, Icon
: Colorizer, BlackBox).  I was downloading a bunch of postscript drivers
: from the EduCorp CD-ROM and found that they had all last their icon
: and their kind had been changed to one of postscript drivers name.
:
: i.e.
:
: foofont       Hambu document   .......
: barfont       Hambu document   .......
: Hambu         document ...............
: foobar        Hambu document   .......
: barfoo        Hambu document   .......

Without other information, I would guess that you are both
using Temperment INIT.  I am pretty sure that there was a bug
in an earlier version and that the latest version fixes the
problem.

--
Larry Baum
Advanced Technology Center

tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) (07/17/90)

In a previous posting, I wrote:

> Here is a small mystery.  I recently noticed that when I do "Get Info"
> on *any* of my desk accessory suitcases, in any folder, anywhere on the
> hard disk, Finder always says it is of this "kind":
>
> Kind:  Number Crunch 1.2 DA document

Another person had a similar problem, and Larry Baum responded:

>Without other information, I would guess that you are both
>using Temperament INIT.  I am pretty sure that there was a bug
>in an earlier version and that the latest version fixes the problem.

Actually I'm *not* using the Temperament INIT.  Dave Platt emailed me
privately and identified the problem.  In my case, here's what it was:

The Number Crunch 1.2 DA has a BNDL resource and it also has its
"bundle bit" turned on.  (Both are visible if you use ResEdit.
To check the bundle bit setting of a file, launch ResEdit, select the
file, and do "Get Info".  To see the BNDL resource, close the Get Info
dialog and double-click on the file instead of just selecting it.)

Apparently the DA shouldn't even HAVE a BNDL resource, and the bundle bit
should be OFF.  Bund-Aid didn't report any problem because it simply
checks that if a file has a BNDL, the "bundle bit" is also ON.  (As an
aside, I guess that means the "bundle bit" was invented by the Department
of Redundancy Department, eh, Apple? :^)

So I made a copy of the DA (ALWAYS work on a copy when you use ResEdit,
for safety's sake!) and used ResEdit to delete its BNDL resource by
selecting the BNDL and doing "Clear" under the Edit menu.  Then I turned
the bundle bit off (by clicking its checkbox), and quit ResEdit, saving
the changes to the copy.

I then un-installed the original DA.  (I compressed it using Stuffit, which
effectively hides the DA from the Finder, but still keeps it around in
case I needed to reinstall it again, if the modified copy didn't work).

After rebuilding the desktop and opening the "no BNDL" copy of the DA
(using Suitcase II), all my DA files were back to normal.  They're all
"Font/DA Mover documents" again, and the modified copy of Number Crunch
2.1 DA still works okay.

In article <10840@spool.cs.wisc.edu> tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) writes:
>In a previous posting, I wrote:
>
>Apparently the DA shouldn't even HAVE a BNDL resource, and the bundle bit
>should be OFF.  Bund-Aid didn't report any problem because it simply
>checks that if a file has a BNDL, the "bundle bit" is also ON.  (As an
>aside, I guess that means the "bundle bit" was invented by the Department
>of Redundancy Department, eh, Apple? :^)

Nope-- I'm just guessing, but I suspect the bundle bit was included so the
Finder wouldn't have to OpenResFile every file.  (OpenResFile is a pretty
slow operation, even with SetResLoad(false))
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!