[comp.sys.mac.system] new PostScript Printer Driver for Macintosh from Adobe Systems

macdriver@adobe.com (07/25/90)

Adobe Systems has announced that we are developing PostScript printer drivers
for the Macintosh, Microsoft Windows 3.0, and OS/2 PM environments. At the
Adobe Developers' Conference June 6-8 Adobe discussed the
goals of the drivers and demonstrated a prototype version of the driver
for the Macintosh. The rest of this message specifically addresses
the Macintosh version of the PostScript printer driver from Adobe Systems.

The driver is a chooser selectable driver that works with any Macintosh
application. The driver takes special advantage of features included
in PostScript Level 2 which was introduced at the Adobe Developers'
Conference). The driver will also fully support the existing installed base
of PostScript printers.

Specific goals of the driver are:
a) Performance. The new driver will have improved performance on both
PostScript Level 2 printers and the existing installed base of printers.

b) Support for device specific printer features such as special paper bins,
printer specific page sizes, duplex printing, cut film, and so on. This
is usable by EVERY application, not just some special applications that jump
hoops to give you that functionality.

c) The ability to export PostScript language files by printing to disk with
the driver. The goal is to generate PORTABLE files which can be moved
to other systems (Mac and otherwise) easily. In particular it will be
possible to generate EPS files from Macintosh applications using the
Adobe printer driver.

d) Conforming PostScript language documents. The files created by the
new driver will conform to the Adobe Document Structuring Conventions
which will allow for useful post processing of the documents. For example,
this will enable existing and future network printing managers/spoolers which
conform to the structuring conventions to intelligently direct and process
the jobs/files produced by the driver.

The demonstration of the Adobe PostScript printer driver at the conference
included a tour of the user interface (still under construction). Printing
Microsoft Word 4 and MacDraw II was also demonstrated.

The driver is expected to ship concurrent with PostScript Level 2 printers.
There have been no specific product announcements for these printers but
users can expect them to be available in the last quarter of 1990 or
first quarter of 1991.

Adobe wants input from users, developers, and service bureaus on features and
capabilities which you want to see in the driver. An email account has been
set up at Adobe for suggestions. Send suggestions to:
	'macdriver@adobe.com'.
Other possible paths are
	{uunet,apple,decwrl}!adobe!macdriver

If you have suggestions but cannot get mail to this account,
please send US mail to:
	Mac Printer Driver Product Manager
	Adobe Systems Incorporated
	1585 Charleston Rd.
	Mountain View, CA. 94043

We appreciate your input and ideas. We look forward to both direct suggestions
as well as any discussions on usenet. PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ACCOUNT,
NOT TO SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS AT ADOBE SYSTEMS. This will ensure that your
suggestions get received by the appropriate folks.

In addition, followups to this newsgroup will be read with interest by the
driver team.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Macintosh PostScript Driver Team
at Adobe Systems Incorporated

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (07/25/90)

From article <2541.26adb425@csc.anu.oz>, by pfr654@csc.anu.oz:
> Apple is going the wrong way in trying to develop a new (not even really
> proprietary) font technology in the Royal fonts.
>
> It should be obvious with the huge success of ATM that people want adobe
> fonts, adobe postscript-like stuff etc.

In my case, I want ATM because I want fonts to look nice on my screen
and on my Deskwriter.  I don't give a d*mn who produces it, and I
really don't care about postscript. In fact, I don't like the fact that it
only works with type 1 (adobe, more or less) fonts.

BTW, deskwriters come with 4 scalable fonts.  Purchasing 7 more costs
about the same as ATM + ATM Plus Pack.  ATM will give me good screen
fonts.

--
William C. DenBesten   is   denbeste@bgsu.edu  or   denbesten@bgsuopie.bitnet

pfr654@csc.anu.oz (07/25/90)

In article <4394@adobe.UUCP>, macdriver@adobe.com writes:

> Adobe Systems has announced that we are developing PostScript printer drivers
> for the Macintosh, Microsoft Windows 3.0, and OS/2 PM environments. At the
> Adobe Developers' Conference June 6-8 Adobe discussed the
> goals of the drivers and demonstrated a prototype version of the driver
> for the Macintosh. The rest of this message specifically addresses
> the Macintosh version of the PostScript printer driver from Adobe Systems.

(stuff deleted)

> Macintosh PostScript Driver Team
> at Adobe Systems Incorporated

Speaking as an average user, I think this is great!

Apple is going the wrong way in trying to develop a new (not even really
proprietary) font technology in the Royal fonts.

Postscript is here to stay, and the faster Apple realizes this the better.

Please, don't make this driver too expensive; instead sell it as a package to
institutions or networks for only a small sum OR provide it free!!

It should be obvious with the huge success of ATM that people want adobe
fonts, adobe postscript-like stuff etc.
*====*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*===*
Phil Ryan
ANU Department of Physics and Theoretical Physics
Canberra, Australia
pfr654@csc.anu.oz.au   phone:(61 6) 249 4678   fax:(61 6) 249 0741

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (07/26/90)

In article <4394@adobe.UUCP> macdriver@adobe.com writes:

>We appreciate your input and ideas. We look forward to both direct suggestions
>as well as any discussions on usenet. PLEASE REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ACCOUNT,
>NOT TO SPECIFIC INDIVIDUALS AT ADOBE SYSTEMS. This will ensure that your
>suggestions get received by the appropriate folks.
>
>In addition, followups to this newsgroup will be read with interest by the
>driver team.
>
>Thanks for your suggestions
	I want to thank those who have sent in comments and encourage
all feedback. Because of the amount of mail we can't promise to reply
to everyone...we are reading every message and will continue to do
so.

Again, please send mail to 'macdriver@adobe.com'. Replying directly to
my account will keep others from reading your comments.

Thanks,
David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated

dswt@stl.stc.co.uk (Stewart Tansley) (07/27/90)

Sorry Phil, this will probably sound like a personal flame, but I'm really
targetting your 'type' of response, as opposed to your's in particular...

In article <2541.26adb425@csc.anu.oz> pfr654@csc.anu.oz writes:
>In article <4394@adobe.UUCP>, macdriver@adobe.com writes:
>>
>> Adobe Systems has announced that we are developing PostScript printer drivers
>> for the Macintosh, Microsoft Windows 3.0, and OS/2 PM environments.
>
>Speaking as an average user, I think this is great!

Yes, it sounds interesting.

>Apple is going the wrong way in trying to develop a new (not even really
>proprietary) font technology in the Royal fonts.
>Postscript is here to stay, and the faster Apple realizes this the better.

If they thought like this, they'd have started making PC clones years ago!

>Please, don't make this driver too expensive; instead sell it as a package to
>institutions or networks for only a small sum OR provide it free!!

While they're at it, can they give away Postscript printer engines for free,
too - Oh, and can Apple give away SE/30s for free too, please... :-)

>It should be obvious with the huge success of ATM that people want adobe
>fonts, adobe postscript-like stuff etc.

I think it's more obvious that when there is only *one* decent font rendering
program on the market some while before Apple includes it as System software,
then folks will buy that, no???

>Phil Ryan

Sorry Phil, I think you should think again on this one...

Stewart Tansley     | STC Technology Ltd              |  'Be cool, or be
+44 279 29531 x2763 | London Rd, Harlow, CM17 9NA, UK |    cast out...'
dswt@stl.stc.co.uk  | ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dswt     | Subdivisions, Rush
   'You know how that rabbit feels - going under your spinning wheels...'

Equipe.Systeme@cediag.bull.fr (Equipe Systeme) (07/30/90)

In article <2541.26adb425@csc.anu.oz> pfr654@csc.anu.oz writes:

Re: Adobe developping their own drivers for the mac
>Speaking as an average user, I think this is great!
Speaking for my humble self, This could be good news. Apple has been dragging
their feet on developping postscript drivers that produce "portable"
postscript. I dont really see what else adobe could add in to improve on
apple's drivers, but I wouldn't mind learning...

>Apple is going the wrong way in trying to develop a new (not even really
>proprietary) font technology in the Royal fonts.
>
>Postscript is here to stay, and the faster Apple realizes this the better.
Apple (with MS) is NOT repeat NOT developping another Page Description
Language! They are developping a CLONE of Postscript which integrates  a
supplementary font rendering technology. Type 1 & 3 fonts should be understood
as well (Type 3 certainly because they are more or less described IN
postscript, and type 1 fonts are becoming TOO widespread to ignore.)

>Please, don't make this driver too expensive; instead sell it as a package to
>institutions or networks for only a small sum OR provide it free!!
small sum HA! adobe is in it for the money (as past experience proves). Here's
Apples advantage: their drivers come FREE with the rest of the system. I'd
like to see Adobe beat that price.

>It should be obvious with the huge success of ATM that people want adobe
>fonts, adobe postscript-like stuff etc.
It should be serious from the success of ATM that people want ATM
FUNCTIONALITY! When sys7 arrives ATM's worth will take a nosedive as one and
all will have vectorial fonts that show up clean on the screen as well as on
printers. All the basic fonts will be included for FREE too, not like ATM with
a paltry few.

Actually I Like ATM. I like what it does and how it does it. What I DISLIKE is
Adobe's pricing on fonts. How did the refrain go? Only the Original
laserwriter fonts and the rest on a pay as you go basis. I have an NTX and ATM
forces me to rebuy 90% of the fonts I already bought (in the ROM).

But (most) of you already know this, right?

I would be delighted to be corrected on any mistakes possibly uttered above.

Pat
--

+-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Patrick Hayes                 |  EMail :  Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr  |

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (07/31/90)

In article <EQUIPE.SYSTEME.90Jul30160738@sky.cediag.bull.fr> Equipe.Systeme@cediag.bull.fr (Equipe Systeme) writes:
>Speaking for my humble self, This could be good news. Apple has been dragging
>their feet on developping postscript drivers that produce "portable"
>postscript. I dont really see what else adobe could add in to improve on
>apple's drivers, but I wouldn't mind learning...

I dunno what Adobe will add.  Here are some things I'd LIKE to see in
a PostScript printer driver:

1) Multiple-up printing (this is relatively easy if you have well-behaved
PostScript)
2) ROUND pen option, so diagonal lines aren't thicker than horiz/vert lines.
3) Line join options (cutoffs, rounding, extensions)
4) Sane ways to get output to serial ports or disk or tcp connection or ?

If I remember the original posting correctly, Adobe promised integrated
handling of printers with multiple paper trays.  That's another nice thing.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner