[comp.sys.mac.system] Startup screen

[note the Followup line]
In article <13500017@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu> resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:

>Hi:
>
>    Thanks for all of you for telling me how to download gif files to my Mac.
>I have a new problem now.  I'd like to save a gif picture as the startup
>screen.  I saved the file as a PICT=0 file in giffer1.06.  It did come up as
>a startup screen but the color is messed up.  It looked more like a 4-bit color
>gif files instead of a 8-bit file.  Isn't it strange?  I checked the
>StartupScreen file with giffer but it was fine.
>
>    Any ideas?

This one comes up quite often.  Your problem is that the default color table
is used at startup, and not the color table for the picture.  There are, I
believe, INITs that will load in the correct CLUT-- I don't know the names
offhand, but someone on the net should know...
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
		Hey!  Bush has NO LIPS!

efwjr@triton.paradyne.com (Ellsworth Warmouth x2882) (07/17/90)

In <1990Jul13.170839.7768@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>[note the Followup line]
>In article <13500017@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu> resgroup@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>Hi:
>>
>>    Thanks for all of you for telling me how to download gif files to my Mac.
>>I have a new problem now.  I'd like to save a gif picture as the startup
>>screen.  I saved the file as a PICT=0 file in giffer1.06.  It did come up as
>>a startup screen but the color is messed up.  It looked more like a 4-bit color
>>gif files instead of a 8-bit file.  Isn't it strange?  I checked the
>>StartupScreen file with giffer but it was fine.
>>
>>    Any ideas?

>This one comes up quite often.  Your problem is that the default color table
>is used at startup, and not the color table for the picture.  There are, I
>believe, INITs that will load in the correct CLUT-- I don't know the names
>offhand, but someone on the net should know...
>--

The problem is that by the time you load the first init into the mac the
startup screen is overwritten by the background image selected by the
control panel.  You must change the image to use the default CLUT before
you save it as a startup screen.  I believe that Giffer has an option to
do this but it may be another display program like Vision Labs.

Ellsworth Warmouth  AT&T Paradyne Corp. Largo FL  813-530-2882
UUCP 	efwjr@pdn.paradyne.com	Amateur Call	KB4SH
Opinions expressed are mine alone and not necessarily those of AT&T Paradyne.

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (07/28/90)

Hi,

	Can someone tell me how to convert a MacPaint-type
picture to the Mac startup screen?

		Thanks,
			Steven

--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.

jd231825@longs.lance.Colostate.Edu (Jeffrey Scott Detweiler) (08/01/90)

In article <5635@uceng.UC.EDU> schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:

	   Can someone tell me how to convert a MacPaint-type
   picture to the Mac startup screen?

		   Thanks,
			   Steven

Steven,

There are quite a few ways of going about this, but my favorite way is
to use a public domain program called "Viewpaint" to make a
startupscreen from a Macpaint file.  You load your paint file into
Viewpaint, and once you get it centered on the screen just the way you
like it, you hit "enter" from the numeric keypad.  It will then save
it as a StartupScreen (be sure to save it in your system folder).  I
haven't seen this program at any ftp sites, so if you have problems
finding it from some PD source, write to me and I can send it to you.

Superpaint will also save macpaint files as StartupScreens, but I
don't know if you have this program.

These are the only two programs that come to mind that easily create
StartupScreens.  By the way, if you want to make a startupscreen for a
monitor other than the standard SE size monditor, you have to go about
it completely differently.  Let me know if you need to do it for a
larger monitor.

Have fun,

Jeff

feinberg@acsu.buffalo.edu (john a feinberg) (08/01/90)

MacPaint 2.0 also saves files as startup screens-just push the button.  Also,
for whatever program you use, you have to be careful to both put the screen in
the system folder, *and* to name the picture StartUpScreen, or it just won't do
anything.  MacPaint 2.0 automatically sticks StartUpScreen in the file box when
you push the save as startupscreen button, but SuperPaint does not.

Now, I have a question of my own:

I have a 2-page monitor for my SE.  Is there any way I can make a startup screen
for that?  Also, I have saved what was on the screen with the command-shift-
whatever f-key (3, maybe?).  It saved the screen contents into a file, fine.  I
just can't read it!  Is there any way to get any program to read what's in the
file?

John Feinberg
SUNY Buffalo