[comp.sys.mac.system] Finder 7.0 suggestion

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (07/07/90)

I like the "Apple menu folder" idea. Just one suggestion: do the names
of aliases in the menu have to be in italics? It makes sense to italicise
the names of the actual file icons, but is this information relevant
in the menu?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 29" S, 175^ 19' 16" E, GMT+12:00
Now that Intel has set its feet firmly on the 32-bit path, it remains
to persuade its customers to abandon its old mistakes and adopt some
new ones.

philip@Minnie.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (07/08/90)

In article <956.2695f9be@waikato.ac.nz>, ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence
D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
> I like the "Apple menu folder" idea. Just one suggestion: do the names
> of aliases in the menu have to be in italics? It makes sense to italicise
> the names of the actual file icons, but is this information relevant
> in the menu?

I'd vote for keeping them italicized at all times. Symbolic links in
unix are great when they work, but (for example) if the file system
one points to is unmounted, it can cause errors that are hard to
track down. If you always _know_ something is an alias, you are
more likely to think of trying to track down this kind of problem.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

alexr@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (07/10/90)

In article <956.2695f9be@waikato.ac.nz> ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence
D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
> I like the "Apple menu folder" idea. Just one suggestion: do the names
> of aliases in the menu have to be in italics? It makes sense to italicise
> the names of the actual file icons, but is this information relevant
> in the menu?

I brought this up, once upon a time. It turns out to be an issue of
consistancy. Now that I have thought about it a bit, I agree with it.

If you really dislike it, you could patch the menu definition to not
display italics in the Apple Menu.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@ucscb.ucsc.edu - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alexr  - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     - BITNET:alexr%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET- Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.    -             -

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/13/90)

> It would be nice if System7 had a Spelling Manager with a standard
> dictionary and the ability to add specialized dictionaries
> (Engineering, Medical, etc.).

Better yet, system 7.0 needs a "word-stream" manager -- a program that
lets you pipe text through a processing program.  Especially:

(1) spelling checkers.
(2) grammar checkers.
(3) machine translation programs.

The piping should be sufficiently general that it does the right thing
with tables, PICTs, and equations.  I can't stand MS-Word, which tries
to spell-check variable name (x1, x2a2, ...) in my mathematical papers.

The program should also allow you to pipe a PICT through the manager.
Then we could
(1) spell-check pictures
(2) check for outrageous mistakes in pictures, such as
   (a) two points that differ by some small epsilon
	(the user would probably like to make them the same point)
   (b) objects smaller than a certain size (garbage)
   (c) invisible objects (completely obscured by others, or filled by nothing)
   (d) lines at non-standard angles.
   (e) etc. etc. etc. etc.

dwal@midway.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (07/14/90)

In article <70500015@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>> It would be nice if System7 had a Spelling Manager with a standard
>> dictionary and the ability to add specialized dictionaries
>> (Engineering, Medical, etc.).
>
>Better yet, system 7.0 needs a "word-stream" manager -- a program that
>lets you pipe text through a processing program.  Especially:
>
>(1) spelling checkers.
>(2) grammar checkers.
>(3) machine translation programs.
>
>The piping should be sufficiently general that it does the right thing
>with tables, PICTs, and equations.  I can't stand MS-Word, which tries
>to spell-check variable name (x1, x2a2, ...) in my mathematical papers.
>
>The program should also allow you to pipe a PICT through the manager.
>Then we could
>(1) spell-check pictures
>(2) check for outrageous mistakes in pictures, such as
>   (a) two points that differ by some small epsilon
>	(the user would probably like to make them the same point)
>   (b) objects smaller than a certain size (garbage)
>   (c) invisible objects (completely obscured by others, or filled by nothing)
>   (d) lines at non-standard angles.
>   (e) etc. etc. etc. etc.

There's really no need for something that specific: System 7.0's
InterApplication Communication model already provides a foundation for
doing this sort of thing.  Process-to-process communication,
especially in the form of AppleEvents, is designed for sending
information and commands between programs to do exactly the type of
thing you're suggesting.  Apple hasn't actually designed a stream
Manager with the functions that you describe, probably because they
wanted to leave something for the developers to do.  I also suspect
that Apple System Software Engineers probably have better things to
worry about than standardizing a Spelling dictionary.  In a previous
message, somebody mentioned Feature Creep, and I think it applies very
well.

I'm curious, too, about the possible features which you mentioned.  Do
you really want software that second-guesses your intent to the extent
of weeding out objects smaller than an arbitrary size, or 'fixing'
your angles because they're improper?  I'd sure want to have a backup
copy before I submitted my work to software like that...:-)

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@tank.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/16/90)

> I'm curious, too, about the possible features which you mentioned.  Do
> you really want software that second-guesses your intent to the extent
> of weeding out objects smaller than an arbitrary size, or 'fixing'
> your angles because they're improper?  I'd sure want to have a backup
> copy before I submitted my work to software like that...:-)

The program would not be much different from "Align Objects" in most
draw programs, and UNDO would of course be enabled by the application
program.  And it would be configurable, much like Align Objects is in
most programs.

In my opinion, many draw programs could benefit from more powerful
semantic checking of the pictures produced.  I have sketched
approximately 200 pictures on the macintosh, mostly using MacDraw II
and Canvas, and I find that these programs need to provide much more
constraint-enforcement and result-checking in order to support
efficient sketching.  Grid on/off just doesn't hack it, in my opinion.

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (07/20/90)

In article <70500015@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>> It would be nice if System7 had a Spelling Manager with a standard
>> dictionary and the ability to add specialized dictionaries
>> (Engineering, Medical, etc.).
>
>Better yet, system 7.0 needs a "word-stream" manager -- a program that
>lets you pipe text through a processing program.  Especially:
>
>(1) spelling checkers.
>(2) grammar checkers.
>(3) machine translation programs.

First, it is far too late to add anything this major to 7.0.  7.0 is
supposed to hit the streets in just a few months (though we shall
see).

Second, 7.0 already has features which might help along these lines.
Interapplication Communication through AppleEvents could make generic
spell checkers possible.  The spell checker could drive the word
processor (scroll to such-and-such a word so the use can see the
context and so on), or the word processor could just submit a batch of
text, request faceless processing, and itself tell the user about it.

It will be interesting to see how the standard set of AppleEvents
turnout.  If they are well done it might be easy for spell checkers to
offer all sorts of dictionary services.

--
Kent Borg                internet: kent@camex.com             MacNet: kentborg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (08/02/90)

In article <70500015@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>> It would be nice if System7 had a Spelling Manager with a standard
>> dictionary and the ability to add specialized dictionaries
>> (Engineering, Medical, etc.).
>
>Better yet, system 7.0 needs a "word-stream" manager -- a program that
>lets you pipe text through a processing program.  Especially:
>
>(1) spelling checkers.
>(2) grammar checkers.
>(3) machine translation programs.

One thing that worries me is the size of the Mac system. It is already very
large ( I have one that does not fit onto a 800k floppy !), Imagine
how large it would be if a grammar checker was added !
Oh well, the price of Hard Disks are dropping ! ;-) (600Meg here we come ...)

	   ^__^     |		 Christopher Albone
Catch Ya  (-  0)    |
Later !!  | \/ |    |  e-mail :  carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au  or
	  \    /    |           8837832@mango.cs.su.oz.au
	====^^===   | "So this is it! We're all going to die !!!"
	    \/      | "Will you stop saying that !!!!" - Douglas Adams