[comp.sys.mac.system] Cleaning desktop file

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) (08/01/90)

Question: Is there some utility that will allow me to clean out my desktop
file WITHOUT losing the GetInfo comments??

Thanks.

 ._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
   Chris Silverberg                     AOL:   Silverberg
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      GEnie: C.Silverberg
   INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu         SYSOP: Main Street U.S.A. BBS
   FIDONET:  322/575.1                         508.832.7725  (1200/2400)

jd231825@longs.lance.Colostate.Edu (Jeff Detweiler) (08/02/90)

In article <14268@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) writes:

   Question: Is there some utility that will allow me to clean out my desktop
   file WITHOUT losing the GetInfo comments??

   Thanks.

The only program I can think of offhand that will won't lose the
GetInfo comments is DiskExpress (commercial).  I bet there's some way
you could use Resedit to copy out just the Get Info information from
the Desktop and later reinsert it once you've rebuilt the Desktop.

Anyone ever done this?

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/02/90)

In article <JD231825.90Aug1164634@mendota.longs.lance.Colostate.Edu> jd231825@longs.lance.Colostate.Edu (Jeff Detweiler) writes:
>In article <14268@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) writes:
>

>   Question: Is there some utility that will allow me to clean out my desktop
>   file WITHOUT losing the GetInfo comments??
>
>   Thanks.
>

>The only program I can think of offhand that will won't lose the
>GetInfo comments is DiskExpress (commercial).  I bet there's some way
>you could use Resedit to copy out just the Get Info information from
>the Desktop and later reinsert it once you've rebuilt the Desktop.
>
>Anyone ever done this?

Yes.  You can use ResEdit to copy all of the 'FCMT' resources from the
desktop file, and then paste them back in once the desktop is rebuilt.
This only works with the old desktop file, not with the Desktop Manager;
DM stores its information in the data fork, not the resource fork.

Which brings up a question: does anybody know where one might find a
published description of the format the Desktop Manager uses in its
DesktopDB and DesktopDF files?

David
--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (08/03/90)

In article <JD231825.90Aug1164634@mendota.longs.lance.Colostate.Edu>
jd231825@longs.lance.Colostate.Edu (Jeff Detweiler) writes:
> I bet there's some way
> you could use Resedit to copy out just the Get Info information from
> the Desktop and later reinsert it once you've rebuilt the Desktop.
>
> Anyone ever done this?

Yes. The resource type is 'FCMT'. Copy the entire type to a new file,
rebuild the desktop, copy it back to the new desktop.

*** WARNING *** WARNING *** DANGER WILL ROBINSON ***

Apple DOES NOT RECOMMEND this procedure! I only say that I've gotten away
with it a few times (and never *not* gotten away with it). Anyone trying
this stunt without a full backup is begging for trouble.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 77-A |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (08/03/90)

>   Question: Is there some utility that will allow me to clean out my desktop
>   file WITHOUT losing the GetInfo comments??

>The only program I can think of offhand that will won't lose the
>GetInfo comments is DiskExpress (commercial)

	Norton Disk Utilities are also supposed to do this trick for you,
	I think

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug2.155812.5840@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:

>Which brings up a question: does anybody know where one might find a
>published description of the format the Desktop Manager uses in its
>DesktopDB and DesktopDF files?

I believe the Desktop Manager uses the B*Tree manager that Apple promised
to give us in System 7.0.  There was a chapter on it in the early
7.0 release notes (from a year ago).  The B*Tree manager has existed
within the file manager ever since HFS came out and the Desktop Manager
simply took advantage of it.  Apple promised to give us access to this
manager with 7.0, but I guess this is one of the new features that got
put off (longer than everything else, that is!:-).

	Andy Peterman
	treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com

juh@cs.hut.fi (Juha Hyv|nen) (08/03/90)

+------------------------
! In article <14268@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) writes:
!
!    Question: Is there some utility that will allow me to clean out my desktop
!    file WITHOUT losing the GetInfo comments??
!
! The only program I can think of offhand that will won't lose the
! GetInfo comments is DiskExpress (commercial).  I bet there's some way
! you could use Resedit to copy out just the Get Info information from
! the Desktop and later reinsert it once you've rebuilt the Desktop.
+........................

Try this at your own risk:

1. Copy the FCMT resource from the Desktop file
   (into the Scrapbook should be OK).
2. Rebuild the Desktop.
3. Insert the FCMT resource back into the Desktop file.

	   / (.__o		..
	  /_/ __/	Juha Hyvonen
	! /  !
	!/ ) !		juh@cs.hut.fi
	 ------

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (08/05/90)

In article <JD231825.90Aug1164634@mendota.longs.lance.Colostate.Edu> jd231825@longs.lance.Colostate.Edu (Jeff Detweiler) writes:
>In article <14268@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) writes:
>

>   Question: Is there some utility that will allow me to clean out my desktop
>   file WITHOUT losing the GetInfo comments??
>
>   Thanks.
>

>The only program I can think of offhand that will won't lose the
>GetInfo comments is DiskExpress (commercial).  I bet there's some way
>you could use Resedit to copy out just the Get Info information from
>the Desktop and later reinsert it once you've rebuilt the Desktop.
>
>Anyone ever done this?

Yes! It has been a while but I will try to explain. But FIRST, if you have
sliverlining, Lacie describes this procedure in the manual that comes with it
(I forget where).

Basically all you do is open the desktop file and find the ???? resource (sorry
folks I forget which one but if you open it, it will be obvious that it
contains all the Get Info comments for the disk. What I do when I forget like
this is to format a new floppy and put a single file on it then using the Get
Info dialog I put a comment in that I am sure to find. I then open the desktop
file with ResEdit and since the file has so few resources in it, it is easy to
find the one for comments. Anyway, once you've found the name and number that I
cannot remember at the moment :-(, you are ready to go). You copy and paste the
resource into anything you feel like, preferrable a junk file if you are not
too familiar with ResEdit. Then just rebuild the desktop. When you are done,
reverse the process and copy the resource back into the desktop file.

Anyway, that's one way of doing it, actually I would prefer a utility that I
saw called FixDeskTop or something like that.

Anyway, hope this helps some.`

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts) (08/05/90)

  Minor*Repairs 1.01, from 1st Aid Software, allows one to rebuild
the Desktop file without losing file comments, by automating the
otherwise laborious process of saving and replacing 'FCMT' resources.

  I believe this utility is included with 1st Aid Software's disk/file
recovery products, such as 1st Aid Kit Deluxe.  The company has also
made Minor*Repairs available separately as copyrighted freeware (as
a public service and presumably also to advertise its other products).

Aron Roberts  Workstation Support Services . 219 Evans Hall
              University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
              aron@garnet.berkeley.edu . ucbvax!garnet!aron
              aron@ucbgarne.bitnet . (415) 642-5974

fax0357@uoft02.utoledo.edu ((Leonore A. Findsen), Univ. of Toledo) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Aug5.015855.16148@agate.berkeley.edu>, aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts) writes:
> The company has also
> made Minor*Repairs available separately as copyrighted freeware (as
> a public service and presumably also to advertise its other products).

Could some kind soul post this code to comp.bin.mac or sumex?

Leonore
Leonore Findsen | College of Pharmacy  | INTERNET: fax0357@uoft02.utoledo.edu
system manager? | University of Toledo |   BITNET: fax0357@uoft02
Asst. Professor | Toledo, OH  43606    |    VOICE: (419) 537-2729
Disclamer: This message is a figment of my imagination.
<<include quote>>

a600@mindlink.UUCP (Dave McClean) (08/07/90)

In article <14268@wpi.wpi.edu> macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) writes:

   Question: Is there some utility that will allow me to clean out my desktop
   file WITHOUT losing the GetInfo comments??

   Thanks.

Try using the utility Minor Repairs.  I'm not sure whether or not it is a
commercial programme.  Anyone?